Community discussions

MikroTik App

muhanadali
Topic Author

Password for ssh

Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:31 am

:system ssh-exec user=remote address=<IP> command="{<cmds>}"

why i can't use password ?

Is it reasonable to leave the device without a password just because I need this feature ?

Jotne
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Password for ssh

Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:35 am

Password is a must and on newer RouterOS you are forced to set password. No password, no security.

vecernik87
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:10 am

@jotne: I think OP talks about no password parameter in the ssh-exec command.

@muhanadali: It is not possible to hardcode the password into your script and I would strongly advice against leaving your router without password. If you want to use ssh-exec with some script (i.e. you can't interactively type in the password) then you need to set SSH keys: SSH private key in source router (which is creating the ssh connection) and SSH public key in destination router (which is receiving the ssh connection). You can create the SSH key pair in puttygen or openssl or any other SSH key-pair generator.

Jotne
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:05 pm

I think he was talking about not put a password on the remote router, and then use the script without password.
Not recommended.

muhanadali
Topic Author

Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:45 pm

I think he was talking about not put a password on the remote router, and then use the script without password.
Not recommended.
yes that's what i mean

muhanadali
Topic Author

Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:47 pm

@jotne: I think OP talks about no password parameter in the ssh-exec command.

@muhanadali: It is not possible to hardcode the password into your script and I would strongly advice against leaving your router without password. If you want to use ssh-exec with some script (i.e. you can't interactively type in the password) then you need to set SSH keys: SSH private key in source router (which is creating the ssh connection) and SSH public key in destination router (which is receiving the ssh connection). You can create the SSH key pair in puttygen or openssl or any other SSH key-pair generator.
Can you give me an example for ssh key and how to work ?

i need the ssh-exec in my Router But i can't leave the remoter router without password

Jotne
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Password for ssh  [SOLVED]

Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:04 am