Community discussions

MikroTik App

Myusernamewastaken2
just joined
Topic Author

WPA preshared keys in export

Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:14 am

Hi all!

I'm very brand new to the MikroTik world and just started exploring and setting up the mAP lite I got as a "starter".
My "problem" is, that I would like to keep backups of the configuration in a form that I can put into git and run a diff to see changes.
One thing I noticed after upgrading from 6.49.2 to 7.1.1 (for the wireguard functionality) is that when doing an
export file=backup
In the 6.49.2 version the authentication-type fields for my wireless interfaces included the wpa-pre-shared-key and wpa2-pre-shared-key. However in 7.1.1 I don't find those keys anywhere in the export. Is there any way to get this back? Is something else missing from this export file, i.e. won't I be able to restore my AP as-is using the export function?

Would be a shame as I loved the idea of having a scheduled job run that generates a backup and sends it off to my git server every now and then.

Thanks for your help!
Holger

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: WPA preshared keys in export

Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:21 am

This is a security issue, sending passwords can be dangerous.
In v7 you must explicitly specify to include passwords like this:
 /export show-sensitive

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:19 pm

@normis: Now that it's nice and safe, and nobody can export their sensitive settings by accident, how about including all sensitive stuff in export, when show-sensitive is requested? User accounts with passwords (hashes), certificates, IPSec keys, everything. Some stuff like certificates would need new fields (e.g. data="<certficate in PEM format>" or something). But ability to use export as readable backup would be wonderful.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:01 pm

a fresh wound and entry point, ..... and dont forget properly documented on the so called 'help pages'