Community discussions

MikroTik App

mkamenjak
Topic Author

Will there be a Ros v6.50?

Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:40 pm

Will there be a Ros v6.50?
I am not that hot on upgrading production routers at client sites until v7 becomes much less buggy than it is.
If not I guess there is still some time until 6.49 becomes LTS and exits LTS. I remember that in the 5.x to 6.x transition, 5.x was still updated for a while.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Will there be a Ros v6.50?

Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:51 pm

Nothing wrong with latest long term 6 version, and most folks have at least a few devices they have converted to stable 7.1.1
I am waiting until a long term stable 7.1.x version to convert my main router.

mkamenjak
Topic Author

Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:44 am

Nothing wrong with latest long term 6 version, and most folks have at least a few devices they have converted to stable 7.1.1
I am waiting until a long term stable 7.1.x version to convert my main router.
I don't intend to upgrade production routers to v7 this year at least, maybe even next year.

Jotne
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:19 am

There will be some routers that can not be upgraded, so there may be more 6.x version'.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:59 pm

Very good point Jotne, but then how will MT force users to upgrade and buy new hardware!!

Their track record is poor. Remeber the recent drop the capac for a slightly less inferior CapacXL.............
Worst marketing I have ever seen..........
"The new design features a larger high-gain antenna, higher sensitivity, and a built-in reflector. These improvements allow increasing the covered area by up to 100%, compared to the previous cAP models!"
Spit in the face of every capac purchaser.......

There was no reduced upgrade/trade in offer at all........ we sold you sheite, now your stuck with it but we have a brand new one that is way better, do you trust us?? EFF NO
Perhaps they will charge $ for firmware 6.5 and above ;-PPP

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:41 pm

There was no reduced upgrade/trade in offer at all........ we sold you sheite, now your stuck with it but we have a brand new one that is way better,

Humm ... does TP-link offer trade-in for EAP245 owners who feel cheated by introduction of EAP660? I'd guess they do because I was waiting for you to throw your ole 245 in my direction but I never saw it comig, it seems you traded it in?

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:05 am

mks you are not paying attention,
I dont need to replace the TPLink eap245s, they are solid, stable and have decent speeds for wifi5.
Technology has advanced where there may be advantages to going to wifi6, if the price is right and the technology of other devices being used can take advantage of such technology.
I went to the 660HD to replace a capac, more out of curiosity than anything else and to try and solve a hub (for a lock) dropping off line that in the end doesnt work well regardless of vendor/model.
I have one eap 245 in the basement apt of my house and two at the mother-in laws house. Well one now, as it was sitting on top of her office desk (not pretty) and this past weekend I replaced her very old dlink 812 or something connected to the cable modem with an on sale TPLINK archer AX55 Wifi6, wpa3 (no vlans but she just has one flat subnet). Thus no need for the tplink eap245 upstairs and the one downstairs is rock solid. So yes it seems like I have a spare tplink eap245 available. :-) Just going to think about replacing the last capac I have at my house with it.
BUt I do enjoy having the capac to compare to other peoples configs when helping out on the forums, and also to prove user articles. ( and to have evidence of how slow it is compared other aps ;-P)

By the way I still have not figured out why I can create an OFF bridge back up access port (vWLAN) on my capac and access the capac with the IP address and port on my iphone MT app, but CANNOT do the same with mac address (also discovery not working). That I could use some help with LOL.

Final note, the TPlink 620 is a closer match to the TPlink eap245 and the performance is not 100% greater either LOL.
https://www.tp-link.com/ca/compare/?typ ... 91%2C51804

Suggesting you stick in your comfort lanes, which is configuring and understanding MT devices, a wealth of knowledge wisdom and experience that surpass 99% of users and exponentially greater than mine.
Marketing, and providing/selling hardware to customers, is not the same thing.
I would imagine support is another aspect worth considering, (folks like mozerd and gotsprings, have that in spades).
In other words, I am comfortable wrestling in this mud, come join me but it will get dirty ;-)