Community discussions

MikroTik App

Gelding
just joined
Topic Author

Audience and backbone options

Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:23 am

Hi and hoping for some advice.

I live in a 3-floor house (cellar, main and top floor) with reinforced concrete walls that really weaken wi-fi signals. My trusty MikroTik RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN could not provide usable signal to the more distant rooms in the cellar and top floor so I switched to AirTies mesh-nodes for the wi-fi when covid forced most in the family to work/school from home. Problem is that AT aren’t too reliable and reboot if there is too much traffic on a node. Typical computer-office work can cause this so it’s a serious nuisance.

My ISP connection and the RB2011UiAS is centrally on the main floor.
I was thinking of switching to three Audience units – one for each floor.

I will continue to use the RB2011UiAS to the ISP unit and connect the Audience to the router.
I can connect the one on the main floor and in the cellar with cable to improve the backbone. However, there is no reasonable way I can get cable to the top floor (have been trying to find a way for years!).
Is it possible to use PWR-Line PRO (PL7510Gi) to create a backbone to the unit on the top floor?
Is it sensible to do so or is the dedicated backbone channel a better option?
I can have line-of-sight from the main-floor unit to the second-floor, would that give better speed than using the power-lines?

The electrical wiring between the router-site and where I want the Audience unit on the top floor is relatively simple but on separate fuses in the fuse-box.