Community discussions

MikroTik App

trekus
just joined
Topic Author

LTE Bridge Mode for RBSXTR

Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:35 pm

Hello Folks,
I'm going to pose a question that others have already asked, repeatedly, yet there doesn't seem to be a clear answer. What are the specific steps to put this router bridge mode so that it acts solely as a modem to pass LTE internet to a router of my choice.
Here's my specifics. I've got an STX LTE with a Quectel EP-O6A modem on an RBSXTR router board running 7.1 ROS. Getting the modem up and running was a snap. Right know I have the router connected to a PC with all of the default settings (except for the TTL) in place and am getting really good speed test results. If I wanted to use the full functionality of the Mikrotik as the lynchpin router of my home network I'd be happy with the outcome. However, I want to use my Netgear ORBI as my main router and have the Mikrotik act as nothing more than a modem pushing internet to my Orbi.
I've tried all sorts of suggestions culled from any number of forums however it doesn't look like anyone has done a tutorial that simply lays out the steps to do.
C'mon Mikrotik people can you do this?

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: LTE Bridge Mode for RBSXTR

Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:53 pm

However, I want to use my Netgear ORBI as my main router and have the Mikrotik act as nothing more than a modem pushing internet to my Orbi.
Ok, so what you need is the passthrough feature... https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... ughExample
However notice that you should create VLAN interfaces between the Router and the LTE device in order to maintain access to the LTE...

trekus
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:54 pm

However, I want to use my Netgear ORBI as my main router and have the Mikrotik act as nothing more than a modem pushing internet to my Orbi.
Ok, so what you need is the passthrough feature... https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... ughExample
However notice that you should create VLAN interfaces between the Router and the LTE device in order to maintain access to the LTE...
Yes, I've seen this guidance. However, because I'm using default configurations when I set passthrough to ether 1 the message is I can't because ether 1 is a slave. When I set passthrough to the default configuration of bridge I loose my Internet IP address. I'm no Mikrotik rockstar so I'm reluctant to change the defaults lest I screw up what I've got.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:53 pm

If you want to use the SXT as modem only, that is the meaning of the passthrough, then why do you need a Bridge?
Remove the ethernet port from the bridge and set it to the passthrough, then you have to configure VLAN interfaces on both the Router and the LTE ethernet interfaces so that you can have management access...
Assign IP address to the VLAN interfaces created... ( management access )
Configure a DHCP client on the ethernet ( not the VLAN interface ) port that is connected with the LTE device..

trekus
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:30 pm

If you want to use the SXT as modem only, that is the meaning of the passthrough, then why do you need a Bridge?
Remove the ethernet port from the bridge and set it to the passthrough, then you have to configure VLAN interfaces on both the Router and the LTE ethernet interfaces so that you can have management access...
Assign IP address to the VLAN interfaces created... ( management access )
Configure a DHCP client on the ethernet ( not the VLAN interface ) port that is connected with the LTE device..
Thankyou...there's abit of a learning curve with this stuff. I'll get there.

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:39 pm

Well ,yes there is... but if you follow my instructions above i think it is really simple...

aesmith
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:37 pm

Or use the second Ethernet for management, assuming that running two cables is possible. Keeps the Netgear configuration cleaner as well.

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:01 pm

Example...

Router Side:
/interface vlan
add interface=ether1 name=vlan-mgmt vlan-id=10

/ip address
add address=192.168.100.1/30 interface=vlan-mgmt network=192.168.100.0

LTE side:
/interface vlan
add interface=ether1 name=vlan-mgmt vlan-id=10

/ip address
add address=192.168.100.2/30 interface=vlan-mgmt network=192.168.100.0

/interface lte apn
add apn=xyz name=lte passthrough-interface=ether1 passthrough-mac=auto
On the router you can add a DHCP-Client on the ethernet interface, ether1 in this example... and don't forget to configure your Firewall and NAT rules...
On the LTE you will also need a route to your LAN network so that you can access it from there...

trekus
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:48 am

Or use the second Ethernet for management, assuming that running two cables is possible. Keeps the Netgear configuration cleaner as well.
Yes, I have seen that suggestion on other fora. I'm going to try it. My hope is to work out the VLAN management. At the end of it all I want to post end to end instructions for others.

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:45 pm

You can not use the ethernet interface e.g. ether1 for passthrough and at the same time the same ethernet interface ether1 for management...

trekus
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:30 pm

Thanks. I understand that ether 1 can not be used for passthrough AND management. I hope you use the VLAN approach and if that doesn't play out I can use ether 2 for management. We will see how this goes. Thanks again for the help.