Community discussions

MikroTik App

lotnybartek
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Make two TV set-top boxes (different sites) visible to each other via VPN EoIP? L2TP? PPTP?

Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:00 pm

One of the Polish TV provider gives Multiroom TV feature where you pay for additional set-top box a lot less. The problem is - set-top boxes communicate to each other and exchange keys. Provider says - set-top boxes needs to be on the same network (subnet) to this feature to work.

I have two remote sites: A (work) and B (home).

A - static IP - CCR1009 - 192.168.10.0
B - dynamic IP - hAP AC2 - 192.168.10.0

What I want to do is to connect two sites via (EoIP? IPSec?) so set-top boxes could communicate each other (broadcast is a must so no routing).

I gathered some information, correct me if I'm wrong.

EoIP is my best bet? Problem is - I'll have to DHCP servers - from A and B site.

Let's say I'll set static IP to my set-top boxes. Site A - 192.168.10.239 and site B - 192.168.10.240.

Is there a way to block all other traffic, DHCP servers, DNS, broadcast and so on - everything that is not important or not needed to this project- but leave above IPs visible to each other? I just don't want two sites to interfere with each other in any way but those two IPs.

This is just theory.

Any inputs, thoughts?

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Make two TV set-top boxes (different sites) visible to each other via VPN EoIP? L2TP? PPTP?

Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:28 pm

Look at /interface bridge filter.
The order of rules would be something like
  • drop dhcp client->server packets to the EoIP tunnel
  • accept everything from the MAC address of the TV to the EoIP tunnel
  • drop everything to the EoIP tunnel

mada3k
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Make two TV set-top boxes (different sites) visible to each other via VPN EoIP? L2TP? PPTP?

Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:40 pm

Are they using multicast as well? I think EoIP is the thing you need.

On the primary site, add the tunnel to the default bridge.
On the secondary site, create a new bridge and add the tunnel and one physical port for the box.

lotnybartek
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:52 pm

Set-top boxes are connected via WiFi.