Community discussions

MikroTik App

Nollitik
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Adding Comment to DHCP Lease

Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:27 pm

How does one add a comment to DHCP lease that didn't receive hostname from device?
I cannot do so using Winbox for MacOS.

Nollitik
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: Adding Comment to DHCP Lease

Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:22 am

How does one add a comment to DHCP lease that didn't receive hostname from device?
I cannot do so using Winbox for MacOS.
Well, I discovered one can add comment via the webconfig on some things but nothing for my iPhones...thanks Apple for privacy on my own
money well-spent private network...my Mikrotik won't tell my Apple Extreme for sure.

kiler129

Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:17 am

What's the real issue you're having? You can add a static lease for any device and then you can add a comment to that lease via terminal / Winbox (and probably WebFig as well).
I quickly checked and on one of my routers I have 30+ iOS devices and all of them send hostnames properly. The only catch with iOS (and newer Androids) is that they will use a "random" MAC while connecting to protect privacy. The MAC will be randomized per SSID but it will stick between connections.

Nollitik
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:14 pm

What's the real issue you're having? You can add a static lease for any device and then you can add a comment to that lease via terminal / Winbox (and probably WebFig as well).
I quickly checked and on one of my routers I have 30+ iOS devices and all of them send hostnames properly. The only catch with iOS (and newer Androids) is that they will use a "random" MAC while connecting to protect privacy. The MAC will be randomized per SSID but it will stick between connections.
Well, all Apple devices send hostname except the two iPhones that are on IOS 15.2.1 and I am trying to figure out why so I can resolve it.
I made both phones lease change to static and could add comment; however, that still didn't resolved the hostname issue.
Both phones Mac address appears to be fixed since the WIFI AP is an Apple Extreme AC with my Apple ID.
I prefer to have the hostname that a comment. Thank you for chiming in.

tdw
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:23 pm

There is nothing to figure out - the DHCP hostname is an optional parameter that can be passed to a DHCP server within a DHCP request to provide additional information about the client. If the Apple device chooses not to send its name in the DHCP request there is nothing you can do on the Mikrotik to make it appear.

Nollitik
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:52 am

There is nothing to figure out - the DHCP hostname is an optional parameter that can be passed to a DHCP server within a DHCP request to provide additional information about the client. If the Apple device chooses not to send its name in the DHCP request there is nothing you can do on the Mikrotik to make it appear.
Actually, there is...I had done some configuring awhile back on the phones hoping to not broadcast its SSID (hidden network) when using the phones as hotspot...that didn't work. So now I know with certainty that the Mikrotik is not the cause, I'll have to figure what I had done.

aesmith
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Adding Comment to DHCP Lease  [SOLVED]

Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:32 am

My own Iphone SE sends its hostname if the "Private address" setting is Off for the SSID. I see it in the DHCP lease and in DNS.

Nollitik
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:30 am

My own Iphone SE sends its hostname if the "Private address" setting is Off for the SSID. I see it in the DHCP lease and in DNS.
Thank you Aesmith that solve the problem...as soon as I turned off "private address" Mikrotik bypasses the static assigned address and DHCP gives the phones a new address which
I can now make IP static with the hostname. I just need to remember when I leave home to turn on private address or turn off WIFI.

aesmith
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:32 pm

Thank you Aesmith that solve the problem...as soon as I turned off "private address" Mikrotik bypasses the static assigned address and DHCP gives the phones a new address which I can now make IP static with the hostname. I just need to remember when I leave home to turn on private address or turn off WIFI.
The private address setting is per-SSID so if you have it disabled for your home network, it should still be enabled for any other networks when you're out and about.