MikroTik App

woland
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

HAP Mini - Not enough space to upgrade - Linux(ish) solution

Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:43 pm

Hi,
I'got two HAP minis used just for accessing other Mikrotik devices. I bought them one year apart. I could upgrade the first one without any issues, but the second one (factory version 6.47.9, every package installed in a monolithic way) ran out of space every time. I have tried everything I could find here in the forums or in any documentation: tried downgrading to older versions, tried to disable unnecessary packages, then uploading newer single package replacements. Also found some special npk in an older posting, which should clean up space. I have installed that, but no luck.
I am only running Linux or BSD on my machines. I thought I'd save some time for others in a similar situation, and maybe someone has a better solution:
Intro:
-I could not get netinstall to work on Linux with Wine, it runs, I can set it up, but it will never detect the HAP Mini, whatever I try (according to it's output it sees a PXE Boot request, but nothing else happening)
-I have a win10 installation in Qemu/KVM running, so I put my netinstall there, enabled boot server, configured listener for 192.168.88.3
-I have a single bridged VirtIO network interface in the win10 vm (which is called vnet0 on the Linux host) I have disabled everything on this interface except IPv4 service with manual IP config: IP: 192.168.88.2/24 Gateway and DNS: 192.168.88.1
-this is the same config which is explained here: https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Netinstall

The Linux part:
-vnet0 is part of a bridge called virbr0 (comes from the Qemu config)
-I have two NICs named p0 (to my internal network) and p1 (with a loose patch cable for whatever I may need
-they are normally part of br0:
root@# brctl show #showing the original setup with p1 hanging on the wrong bridge br0
bridge name	bridge id		STP enabled	interfaces
br0		8000.xxxxxxxxxxxx	no		p0
								p1
-I have reconfigured the bridges like this:
root@# ip l s dev br0 down #shut down br0, so we can remove it
root@# brctl delbr br0 #I had to destroy the bridge to remove the Interface p1 
root@# brctl addif virbr0 p1 #added p1 interface to the other bridge
root@# brctl show #show that virbr0 bridges vnet0 to the physical p1 interface connected to the HAP Mini
bridge name	bridge id		STP enabled	interfaces
virbr0		8000.xxxxxxxxxxx	yes		vnet0
							p1

root@# ip l s dev p1 up #we need to bring up all the interfaces and the bridge
root@# ip l s dev vnet0 up 
root@# ip l s dev virbr0 up
Conclusion:
-I had to plug a simple switch between HAP Mini and p1 port, it seems that if p1 does not go down while powercycling the HAP Mini,
netinstall will have more time to respond (that might not be necessary)
-use the port labeled Internet on the HAP Mini
-hold down the reset button with a lot of force for some eternity (if you are doing it right, it hurts...) aaand: it works, the HAP Mini appears in the netintstall gui in the Windows VM !
-don´t install the general package, I have just the following and now I can install/remove anything to my liking (53% of Flash used):
 0   advanced-tools           6.49.2                                             
 1   system                   6.49.2                                             
 2   dhcp                     6.49.2                                             
 3   security                 6.49.2                                             
 4   wireless                 6.49.2   
I think Mikrotik should have installed single packages before delivery, saving some time for us all!

Any other ideas how to run netinstall on Linux?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: HAP Mini - Not enough space to upgrade - Linux(ish) solution  [SOLVED]

Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:20 pm

I didn't try it myself but .... Mikrotik download page has some downliad links titled "Netinstall (CLI Linux)" ... could be it might be something for hard-core linux users?

woland
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: HAP Mini - Not enough space to upgrade - Linux(ish) solution

Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:12 pm

I didn't try it myself but .... Mikrotik download page has some downliad links titled "Netinstall (CLI Linux)" ... could be it might be something for hard-core linux users?
Hi Metod,

thank you for pointing me to that link! I think I must have checked the DL page several hundred times since I got my first Mikrotik devices and not a single time have I seen that Netinstall cli... oh my! I think that's something qualifying as selective blindness.

Yeah it seems to work! It is even documented here: https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ROS/Netinstall

BR

Woland