Community discussions

MikroTik App

linerov
just joined
Topic Author

5GHz => Raspberry Pi 4 & hAP ac^2 - RouterOS v6.47.8 -

Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:02 am

Hi All,

Hopefully there will be a good soul who could recommend a working configuration. It is not a claim it is a problem with either Pi4 or the Mikrotik router.
This could be a Raspberry Pi 4 problem, but can't find a good explanation, hence asking here.

Situation is that I've 5Ghz net propagated by hAP ac^2 which works for laptop, Linux based. Same wpa_supplicant.conf settings do not work with plain Raspberry pi4 (64bit Raspbian OS).
The message on RouterOS side is:
disconnected, unicast key exchange timeout
There's nothing bad looking on Pi side.

Config at on RouterOS side is default, I did go up to the point to reset it to defaults for tests.

The usual /etc/default/crda is set to proper country on Pi (tried it unset too), but not on laptop and yet all works. Especially that one can potentially travel and this shouldn't be needed to be set statically, but is for the sake of resolving the problem.

Most of the time freq set is 5240/20-eeeC/ac/P(20dBm).
Pi is ~1-2m away from router - same as laptop.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: 5GHz => Raspberry Pi 4 & hAP ac^2 - RouterOS v6.47.8 -

Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:21 pm

I have also seen problems with my Raspberry Pi 4 (32 bit Raspbian) and hAP ac2 and wAP ac.
But is could be a different one from this one. Forgot the exact error message.
Still for your information: Raspberry Pi 4 did NOT connect if the Data Rate was set as "configured" instead of "default".
After comparing the AP beacon information: "default" does not set the VHT basic rate, "configured" without touching anything else, sets the VHT basic rate to MCS0-7.
This is an expected value, but the Raspberry Pi could not connect till VHT basic rate was set to "none".

Others in this forum have reported connection problems with devices when distance was set to "dynamic", and setting "distance=indoors" solved their problem

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: 5GHz => Raspberry Pi 4 & hAP ac^2 - RouterOS v6.47.8 -

Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:13 pm

Same experience today with a new Smartwatch Samsung Galaxy watch4 Classic, as with the Raspberry PI 4B
If basic rates are set for VHT (MCS0-7) the smartwatch cannot connect.
In the LOG : "wlan2: denying assoc to EE:E2:D5:XX:XX:XX, does not support all basic rates"

Setting 'VHT basic MCS' to 'none' solved it. (ROS v 6.49.6)