Community discussions

MikroTik App

Slaviczech
just joined
Topic Author

5GHz wifi degraded with second AP

Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:12 am

Hello guys,

I have problem that I cannot find answer for even after few days of searching. I have hAP ac with os version 7.1.1 (but problem was even on 6.9.2) as my main router. It is configured as Home AP dual with both 2.4 and 5Ghz wifi set with same SSID and password. It was working for a long time as this with no problem. Now, I have moved to bigger house and the range of hAP ac is not enough. There are two rooms with very bad or no signal. So I have bought an hAP mini, configured it as WISP AP in bridge mode with static adress through LAN and with same SSID and password for 2.4GHz as hAP ac. Everything worked for maybe two days and after that I was seeing degrading of 5GHz wifi service, first the speed and after that some devices were unable to work on 5GHz (for example mobile phone showed that it is connected to 5GHz and nothing works, I have set ACL to force this phone on 2.4GHz and everything is ok). When I disable 5GHz or force the devices to 2.4GHz everything seems to work. But I don't understand why. And one more thing, there is literaly no interference from another network on both bands. I was going around and there is no other network in range of my APs. Both APs are set to different channel (6 for hAP ac and 11 for hAP mini and only 20Mhz). Can anyone explain what is happening in my network?

Thank you

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: 5GHz wifi degraded with second AP

Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:33 pm

Can't see what the problem is.

Problem is 5 GHz degradation !?
hAP Mini has no 5 GHz.
Details on 2.4 GHz band channels, but nothing about 5 GHz settings
"Wisp AP" normally creates a second different network even when the same SSID is used. Don't know what "bridge" mode brings with Wisp AP quickset. (Should bridge ethernet and wireless, should have DHCP client or fixed IP address but not DHCP server on bridge)
How is the hap ac - hap mini connection? Wired ?

Slaviczech
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:23 am

Yes, problem is 5GHz degradation on hAP ac. I know that hAP mini has no 5GHz wifi and that is what makes it strange - when I disconect hAP mini from hAP ac than the 5Gig wifi on hAP ac is working correctly, but when I connect hAP mini, than the 5Gig on hAP ac starts to behaving strange as I described. DHCP server on hAP mini is disabled and the device has static IP adress (hAP ac is .88.1 and hAP mini is .88.2 and hAP ac has DHCP server with pool from 88.10 to 88.250). hAP mini is connected through ethernet cable directly to hAP ac. On 2.4Gig all connected devices are working correctly.

AllexRo
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:50 am

How about resetting the hap mini with no configuration, then bridging all ports, make it dhcp client, setup wifi and see if the problem is still there?
Maybe there's something in that quickset config that conflicts with your network setup.

noonedeadpunk
just joined

Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:40 pm

I believe I have common issue on my 1st gen hAP AC.

After upgrade to 7.1.0 (and later even to 7.1.1) I've started seeing issue with my 5Ghz network. As example - during Speedtest in 50% I just loose connection to the router.
So I see 100% package loss to the router. This happens mostly during upload. The only way to recover - reconnect to the network.

On 2.4Ghz I also see performance degradation. Instead of full loss until reconnect - I see 10-15% of package loss to the router. This strarted happening after 6.48.6 to 7.1.0 upgrade. 7.1.1 hasn't improved and changelog for 7.2 doesn't inlcude anything useful as well.

This seems to me like some buffer overflow.

I'e tried to reset router to defaults but no effect was given by this.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:38 pm

There are clearly performance problems with the higher numbered ROS versions, as reported in this Forum.

For hAP mini (SMIPS) , the known good release is 6.47.9. Release 6.47.10 has packet drops. 6.45.6 also is a very good release, but is older.
For other MT AP , ROS7 seems to be the start of the problem.
If 4.48.6 or 4.49.2 performs very well on any MT is not a sure thing.
Unfortunately, upgrading ROS, the classic remedy, is not always an improvement. LT is not always better Q than Stable.