Community discussions

MikroTik App

ejkeebler
just joined
Topic Author

I think I have slow bonding speed

Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:14 pm

OK, so a brief summary of my setup, I am running proxmox on a dell r720 which has a quad 1gb erthernet that I created a bond with. my CRS328 is connected to an RB4011 through an sfp+ 10GB tx.

iface bond0 inet manual
bond-slaves eno1 eno2 eno3 eno4
bond-miimon 100
bond-mode 802.3ad
bond-xmit-hash-policy layer2+3

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet dhcp
bridge-ports bond0
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0

I also created an ad Layer2+3 bond on my mikrotik CRS328

Flags: X - disabled, R - running
0 R name="R720_bond" mtu=1500 mac-address=DC:2C:6E:64:05:E8 arp=enabled
arp-timeout=auto slaves=ether9,ether11,ether13,ether15 mode=802.3ad
primary=none link-monitoring=mii arp-interval=100ms arp-ip-targets=""
mii-interval=100ms down-delay=0ms up-delay=0ms lacp-rate=30secs
transmit-hash-policy=layer-2-and-3 min-links=0

I started with speedetest from a wired client and was getting about 1Gbiit/s, but from my r720 with the bond I was getting about 500 Mbit/s. I read that this can be inaccurate due to cpu load, so I installed iperf3, and seemed to get about 1Gbit/s between 2 wired clients. I currently only have the server wired, but I will string a cat6 back up to test anything anyone suggests. However, I created a google cloud vm to test iperf3 outside of my network which is where I am really wanting to see.

I am in northern SC for context.
iperf3 from wireless client to proxmox - 294 Mbits/sec
iperf3 from server vm on proxmox to proxmox - 18.0 Gbits/sec
iperf3 from wireless client to google VM - 31.4 Mbits/sec
iperf3 from server vm to google VM - 28.6 Mbits/sec
speedtest from google cloud vm (atlanta, GA) - 969.70 Mbit/s (12ms ping)
speedtest from wireless client (rockhill, SC) - 453.96 Mbit/s (6ms ping)
speedtest from proxmox (Charlotte, NC) - 529.03 Mbit/s (42ms ping)
speedtest from VM on proxmox (Charlotte, NC) - 483.05 Mbit/s (34ms ping)

So I think the google vm isnt a great solution to test bandwidth either. Ultimately 500 Mbit is obviously not that slow, but I just dont know why plugging in my wireless client to ethernet gets me 1 GBit/sec but my server doesnt seem to. I just dont understand how a wired client could get 1Gbit and the server could not (seems like an issue with the proxmox bond), but I could also get 1Gbit between the server and the wired client, which makes it seem like an issue with the mikrotik...so not sure what to check next.

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: I think I have slow bonding speed

Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:39 pm

There is nothing wrong with the way you've configured the LACP on your CRS328...
However, don't forget that LACP won't utilize all the bonded slaves simultaneously for a specific connection... This means that you can not get speeds higher than 1 Gbp/s no matter what...
So all frames that belong to a single connection, will always use the same link...

From your tests, what i understand is that you mostly do bandwidth tests with remote servers... Why don't you test with another Local server ( not another VM on the same server ) and see how it goes ?
Or you could as well create another VM on the same server that does not belong on the same vSwitch or port group, so it will effectively use the physical switch and not the virtual one ). That would help mostly to identify if there is a problem with your VMs or with the physical network in general...

ejkeebler
just joined
Topic Author

Re: I think I have slow bonding speed

Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:39 pm

i have tested from a wired client to the server and do get 1Gbit/sec which is what I would expect. Its just from server to internet I cannot find a good way to test. From my wired client i do get 1Gbit/sec, but the server can't seem to get more than 500, sometimes almost 600 Mbit/sec. I'm not expecting 4Gbit/sec just 1.