Community discussions

MikroTik App

elfuego
just joined
Topic Author

DHCPv6 searching problem (but it works on win)

Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:30 pm

Hello,

I am trying to get IPv6 connectivity to my Mikrotik hAP ac router, running v6.49.2. I connected it to the provider's livebox (I don't plan to replace it completely with the mikrotik yet).
Nothing happens (just "searching...") when I ask for a prefix in webfig > IPv6 > DHCP Client. I tried to change "prefix" to "address", played around with other options, but nothing changes.
On the other hand, when I connect my laptop running win10 directly to the livebox, it obtains IPv6 address successfully (ipv6.google.com works then).

Could anyone please hint what to do or where to look to solve the weird problem.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: DHCPv6 searching problem (but it works on win)

Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:40 am

It looks like livebox uses SLAAC (autoconfiguration). RouterOS can use it too to get address, it's done using accept-router-advertisements option in /ipv6 settings. But there are two problems:

- Current implementation is weird, router will get address, but you won't see it anywhere in UI.
- You will get only single address. So it's fine e.g. if you have router as AP and want to give it IPv6 address for management access. But it's absolutely useless if you have router as router and want to have IPv6 for devices behind it.

jousedelano
just joined

Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:10 pm

Has this been fixed? It's already 2022

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:39 pm

Which part?
ISP box not giving out prefixes if asked? That's unfortunately not mikrotik's fault and MT can't fix it.
The cosmetic glitch which somehow hides IPv6 address obtained using SLAAC? I don't think that's been fixed yet ... but as I explained, it's cosmetic not a showstopper.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:35 am

I don't remember when exactly it happened, but latest v7 already shows address and gateway from SLAAC. One small problem is that when you switch accepting RAs, it requires reboot (in v6 it worked without it).

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:38 pm

Receiving an address or prefix using DHCPv6 is a different thing.
Some ISP routers require some "advanced setup" (enable advanced mode then dive into network config) to allow prefix delegation.
Also, of course, you have to have a sufficiently large allocation from the ISP to make it possible. Some ISPs hand out /64 to the client and prefix delegation is not possible then. When you have a larger network like /60, /56 or /48, it should be possible.
And of course while a MikroTik should be able to get a single address for management e.g. when used as a bridging AP, it would be useless to use this method when it has to actually work as a router.

airvb
just joined

Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:32 pm

Bonjour ,

Did you find a solution ?

I have Freebox , /64 delegation, but dhcp6-client still 'searching' ...

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:41 pm

When you do not show your config, we cannot help you. It works for me.