Community discussions

MikroTik App

adilinden
just joined
Topic Author

Which Product for SFP + 4 or 5 PoE Gigabit?

Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:52 pm

I am currently running a Cisco WS-C2960-8 in a location. The uplink is via SFP (single mode fiber). I would like to get 4 or 5 Gigabit ports that preferable support PoE (24V passive and 48V 802.3af) too. Is there a Mikrotik product that would fill this role at a low cost? I am already using a CRS112-8P-4S and it seems to be holding up great. But is there something even smaller?

Adi

adilinden
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Which Product for SFP + 4 or 5 PoE Gigabit?

Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:36 am

I've successfully configured a HexS for the task. I am getting >900Mbps throughput between SFP uplink and any ethernet port. So that is good and achieving its objective minus the PoE ability. I am wondering if a MikroTik RB960PGS hEX would provide similar or better performance? Keeping in mind that ether to ether throughput is not as important as achieving full Gigabit bridged via the SFP port.

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Which Product for SFP + 4 or 5 PoE Gigabit?  [SOLVED]

Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:56 am

I've successfully configured a HexS for the task. I am getting >900Mbps throughput between SFP uplink and any ethernet port. So that is good and achieving its objective minus the PoE ability. I am wondering if a MikroTik RB960PGS hEX would provide similar or better performance? Keeping in mind that ether to ether throughput is not as important as achieving full Gigabit bridged via the SFP port.
Hi Adi,

The hEX PoE could work but its CPU is not as powerful as the hEX S. According to the test results page, it is not a lot slower than the hEX S, only about a 10% drop in performance, so it may still be sufficient for your purposes.

Even cheaper is the 5 port switch RB260GSP, but that only supports passive 24V PoE and not af/at, and also only runs SwOS (switch OS), it cannot run RouterOS. The functionality of SwOS is very limited and so I would recommend RouterOS based devices where possible. The higher end switches all run RouterOS but those have a lot more ports than you need for this.

adilinden
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:00 am

The hEX PoE could work but its CPU is not as powerful as the hEX S. According to the test results page, it is not a lot slower than the hEX S, only about a 10% drop in performance, so it may still be sufficient for your purposes.
Thank you for the answer! I might just try a hEX PoE then.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:14 pm

I would like to get 4 or 5 Gigabit ports that preferable support PoE (24V passive and 48V 802.3af) too.

If you really want 24V passive and 802.3 PoE out at the same time, then you need Mikrotik with dual power supply. Mikrotiks don't have voltage transformers, PoE out voltage is same as power supply voltage (reduced by a few tenths of a Volt). There are a few models which use dual power supplies and if powered with both 24V and 48V, then you can select PoE out voltage per port.

adilinden
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:14 pm

If you really want 24V passive and 802.3 PoE out at the same time, then you need Mikrotik with dual power supply. Mikrotiks don't have voltage transformers, PoE out voltage is same as power supply voltage (reduced by a few tenths of a Volt). There are a few models which use dual power supplies and if powered with both 24V and 48V, then you can select PoE out voltage per port.
Ouch! That is good to know. I am using a CRS112-8P-4S with a 48VDC PSU fully expecting it to supply 24V passive is configured to do so. I was aware that most of these products only ship with a 24VDC PSU, but did not know that the passive power delivery voltage depends on 24V and 48V being present by PSU's. It only powers a few 802.3af devices at this point.

This will definitely disqualify the MikroTik RB960PGS hEX as the goal here would be to support a 24V passive Ubiquity AP and a 48V 802.3af IP phone. I do not know if the Ubiquity AP are tolerant to 48V, just that the spec sheet specifies 24V passive. Plus the whole idea (for me) to utilizing a PoE switch is to eliminate the mess of power cubes and cords that need to be managed.

As a side note, I do prefer equipment that has integrated power supplies rather than needing external power supplies or wall cubes. I understand where this isn't a practical option for smaller form factors but it would have much preferred to see the CRS112-8P-4S simply with a standard AC power input receptacle instead of the 24V and 48V ports.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:55 pm

As a side note, I do prefer equipment that has integrated power supplies rather than needing external power supplies or wall cubes.

You're not alone. While I can understand use of external power adapters on desktop devices or devices in outdoor cases or PoE-powered devices. But using external power adapters for rack-mount devices simply blows my mind...

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:35 am

This will definitely disqualify the MikroTik RB960PGS hEX as the goal here would be to support a 24V passive Ubiquity AP and a 48V 802.3af IP phone. I do not know if the Ubiquity AP are tolerant to 48V, just that the spec sheet specifies 24V passive. Plus the whole idea (for me) to utilizing a PoE switch is to eliminate the mess of power cubes and cords that need to be managed.
Which Ubiquiti AP is it? Some of them do support 48V.

Yes, it can only send the voltage out that it receives. In the case of the smaller devices that use wall warts or power bricks, you can only power the voltage out that it receives in. The larger MikroTik PoE switches (24 port and higher) have built in AC outlets and do the conversion internally for the 24V/48V.

MikroTik has a large number of new switches in the pipeline it seems, some of which will hopefully begin to fill this gap.