Community discussions

MikroTik App

Dangs
just joined
Topic Author

Zerotier LTE

Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:33 pm

Hi has anyone got Zerotier working directly on any of the mikrotik lte models ie sxt lte or lhg lte wanting th access home cctv/network though mikrotik lte router

krafg
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Zerotier LTE

Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:44 pm

It is only available on ARM based devices. All outdoor LTE devices are MIPSBE. Sad.

Regards.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:34 pm

Put a raspberry behind lte ...

krafg
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:29 am

Put a raspberry behind lte ...
In fact this is my solution for now, and the good part is that I can install Tailscale as backup of ZeroTier.

A little Windows machine is also an option.

Regards.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:31 am

Hi has anyone got Zerotier working directly on any of the mikrotik lte models ie sxt lte or lhg lte wanting th access home cctv/network though mikrotik lte router
The wAP R is the one "LTE model" that works with ZT. It works, and ZeroTier is pretty handy with a CGNAT for remote management. I never stop being impressed when I see the remote LTE device show up in Winbox discovery (since ZeroTier works at L2, the broadcast can be seen by a PC/Mac with ZT client).

Now, not studied this much, but speeds though ZT seem lower/more variable, than normal LTE internet, so something to watch for if you're looking to use it for VPN-proxy-kinda setup.

Also, other ARM devices that have a USB port (e.g. hAP ac2) can run ZT with external LTE modem via USB port.

krafg
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:23 pm

Are you sure that it works on wAP R?

I see that this device is MIPSBE and not ARM: https://mikrotik.com/product/RBwAPR-2nD

I know that only works on ARM devices.

Thanks and regards.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:15 am

Are you sure that it works on wAP R?

I see that this device is MIPSBE and not ARM: https://mikrotik.com/product/RBwAPR-2nD
I know that only works on ARM devices.

Sorry, wAP R ac. For LTE on Mikrotik, at this point, these work pretty well since the hit the LTE "trifecta": USB 3.0, miniPCIe, and external antennas (with pigtails/punchout), with both ZeroTier support (as wAP R ac is an ARM device) & 5Ghz ac Wi-Fi as a bonus.

I don't think the wAP ac R will ever support wifiwave2 is one downside to them. While the Audience does support wifiwave2, it no external antenna option and only the LTE6 modem is available.
> /system/routerboard/print
        board-name: wAP R ac
             model: RBwAPGR-5HacD2HnD
     firmware-type: ipq4000L
  current-firmware: 7.2rc3

I'm a big fan of ZeroTier, at least as super-easy way of managing remote LTE device. In fact, just upgraded two ARM LTE device over ZeroTier (wAP R ac with Telit960/4x4 MIMO external antenna and an Audience with R11e-LTE6). Once the LTE interface pops up after upgrade, my Mac on a different network can access them via ZT. And since ZT is Layer2, winbox discovery over CGNAT'ed LTE even works. (They are test box that were local so if error, COULD have used ethernet/Wi-Fi to fix, but didn't have too :))

But totally need ARM for ZeroTeir. Also, why the ARM-based wAP ac R is quite nice for something that is shipping today. I'm in the US, so the Mikrotik R11e modem all kinda suck, but these wAP R ac model have a SKU without a modem, so you can buy a more appropriate miniPCIe modem module. They also allow you to add add SMA pigtails to also improve the subpar LTE antennas they come and/or use 4x4 MIMO.

qatar2022
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:56 am

its work with me on my device chateau 5g

dad2312
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:42 pm

Is it possible to use LHG or WAP R or SXT (mipse) with HAPAC2 where was installed zerotier package ?

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:25 pm

Is it possible to use LHG or WAP R or SXT (mipse) with HAPAC2 where was installed zerotier package ?
What exactly do you want to achieve ?
Conceptually it is possible.

dad2312
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:52 pm

for example LHG can not receive zerotier package but HAPAC2 yes
then if i install zerotier package on hapac2 behind my LHG (mode LTE passtrough to hapac2) can i join my interface via winbox from outside ?

i try but don't works (try with simple configuration like wiki explain and with new routing tables and route)

what i don't understand i have other config with rbm11g (MMIPS) with lte card (mode lte passtrough) with rb4011 with zerotier package and all works fine...

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:14 pm

for example LHG can not receive zerotier package but HAPAC2 yes
then if i install zerotier package on hapac2 behind my LHG (mode LTE passtrough to hapac2) can i join my interface via winbox from outside ?

i try but don't works (try with simple configuration like wiki explain and with new routing tables and route)

what i don't understand i have other config with rbm11g (MMIPS) with lte card (mode lte passtrough) with rb4011 with zerotier package and all works fine...
I'd look at the ZeroTier "Peers", and make sure one is "active". A difference in the firewall between the RB4011 and hAPac2 could explain. You should able to find the attempted peer connection in IP>Firewall>Connections, sometime you can find by the 9993 port ZT tries first (but will try others). The info in ZeroTier>Peers will help to "track" them in the firewall connections.

The other thing to try is making sure IPv6 is passthough to the hAPac2. Typically that mean selecting the IPv6 passthrough interface and using "Auto" for IP address in the APN Profile you're using. ZT will prefer IPv6 for it's tunnels, while the ZT traffic can still be normal IPv4. A lot of LTE carrier will hand out a IPv6 addresses. It is worth a look to see if you have IPv6 support.

The other thing to check is the UPnP setting, for CGNAT-ed LTE it likely should be disabled. Since the ZT client attempts to create tunnels using UPnP, if a Mikrotik response to UPnP, the ZT client will think "it worked", and stop trying other tunneling methods. However, UPnP only works if the router has a real public IP. If IPv6 is available ZT tries that first, why I suggest seeing if you have IPv6 on your LTE network.

dad2312
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:11 pm

Thank Amm0, i'm going to test that