MikroTik App

broderick
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Looking for advice about setting VLANs

Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:29 pm

Hi,
I have a Mikrotik hAP ac² (RBD52G-5HacD2HnD-TC), and I'm trying to figure out what would be the best way to set VLANs up according to my needs and this device capabilities.
It is going to be a simple solution just for my home.
I was thinking about two solutions.

1) Using only my Mikrotik device which already works as router-firewall/AP and has WAN port for internet access.
So, I would create 3 VLANs:
- VLAN1 on ether2 and ether3, and WLAN1(2.4GHz) WLAN2 (5GHz),
- VLAN2 on ether4 and wlan3(virtual 2.4GHz)
- VLAN3 on ether5)

2) Buying another hAP ac²/ac³ and using this one only as a switch/AP connected to my "old" hAP ac² which would work only as router-firewall.
Of course, I would set up only VLANs on this new brand device, letting my "old" hAP ac² managing them.
UPDATE: this tutorial would be a realiable way for solution 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj9aPoyZOPo

I am not asking for any clean and ready setup (not now at least :-)), but what would be the best way (for either solution 1 or 2) to get my goal,
since I heard that there can be different suitable setups according to which mikrotik device one is going to use
Thanks

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Looking for advice about setting VLANs

Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:12 pm

Good day.

The generic advice is that vlans are not always required. For example if you have more ports than subnets then vlans may not be needed. Also if you have less devices that need to be attached than ports, vlans may not be needed.

Typically when one has multiple subnets that one wants to pass through a port and subnets that one wants to isolate from other subnets, vlans make sense.
I see no need to buy another device to do vlans, you have everything you need with the hapac2!!
If you were looking for another device for wifi, I would look at tplink eap245 (wifi5) for an access point for starters.

Look up linked article C. for setting up the vlans. After you have had a crack at it, post your config if you have questions or issues.
viewtopic.php?t=182373

Last Comment. Do not actually use the vlan 1 ID, it is the default used on the bridge and should be left untouched.

broderick
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:09 pm

Good day you too, @anav

I don't necessary needs VLANs at moment actually, but I might need them shortly, so, I'd better deal with this topic as soon as possible, when I am not in a hurry; if only for learning purpose.
Futhermore, I need to make up my mind and get serious with the mikrotik devices once and for all :-)

- As for solution 1 (the one without another MK device), Router-Switch-AP (all in one) part of pcunite excellent thread, you say that it would perfectly fit my needs now that I got just one Mikrotik router?

- as for solution 2, I was thinking about buying another similar MK device because it would be place in another room, quite far away from my old Mk device. A smart tv would be connected to an ethernet port, and it would also work as AP for guests, and for my private wifi connection too when needed, so in this case I can't do without VLANs, I guess. Yes, I might still have more ports than subnets even in this case, and I might plug an AP to a different port, but how would I isolate guest and private WIFI if the wifi device is not VLAN capable? And what about my TV. So better to buy another MK, I guess.

For the record, I already us the "only ethernet ports" solution for isolation a few time ago in order to isolate a server (my private LAB in which I do some experiments for learning purpose), it worked fine, but it was an easy setup suitable only for a simple goal.

Anyway, one step at a time. Let me focus on solution 1, just to make sense of it and how VLANs work.
Thank you very much.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:22 pm

Sounds like a plan!
At the far end you have some choices.
Buy another MT device to act as an AP/switch (cheaper, but wifi is not the greatest)
Buy a small smart switch and separate AP (vlan capable) (not as cheap, but better wifi). My recommendation!

As for now good idea if you know you will need vlans to do it earlier when the config is simpler.

broderick
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:57 pm

Sounds like a plan!
At the far end you have some choices.
Buy another MT device to act as an AP/switch (cheaper, but wifi is not the greatest)
Buy a small smart switch and separate AP (vlan capable) (not as cheap, but better wifi). My recommendation!

As for now good idea if you know you will need vlans to do it earlier when the config is simpler.
Ok. I think that another MK device would get the job done, running both as a switch and AP, and it would fit my needs for a long time probably.
I will be thinking about your recommendation as well. Thanks

For the time being, I'd like to focus on a the first solution as I said above. So, can I go for the Router-Switch-AP (all in one) part of pcunite's thread, I mean, can my little device manage that simple solution without particular drawbacks? Thanks
Last edited by broderick on Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:44 pm

Yes of course, easy peasy lemon squeezy!

broderick
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:20 pm

Yes of course, easy peasy lemon squeezy!
Thanks!