MikroTik App

Rockyboa
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

cAP XL ac reflector and mounting

Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:45 pm

Hello,

I'm interested in getting some cAP XL ac. My concerns are related to the wall mounting and reflectors on the antenna. I would supposed this unit is design optimally to be mounted on ceiling. In my case it would be preferable to mount them on wall.

Looking at the doc it seams to be an option, but would the coverage be impacted since, I would guess, the antenna reflector would reflect mostly the spectrum in a ellipsoid shape covering a floor.

Martin

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: cAP XL ac reflector and mounting

Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:32 am

It looks like they redesigned the antennal coverage on the capacxl (wifi-5) compared to the capac to be more equitable in all directions.
Having said that you would be better off with the TPLINK eap620hd (wifi-6).

Rockyboa
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:02 am

Anav,

Thank you, when I look at the gain (6 on 2.4GHz and 5.5 on 5GHz) it makes me believe that the shape is not so spherical anymorem, but I'm no wifi expert.

Obviously, I want to manage them using CAPsMAN, I'll look at your suggestion though if a manage solution exist.

Martin

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:56 am

Rockyboa,

ANAV is not wrong.

I love caps-man in concept and management. I really don't enjoy the constant trouble tickets and general complaints. I liked even less having to go into my own pocket to replace a S--t of radios.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:32 pm

In cAP XL ac there clearly is a reflector. MT is not documenting the RF map of the cAP XL ac, we can only reverse engineer and guess, guess, guess ...

To go from 2dBi to 6 dBi that is somewhat more than doubling. Or is it 2.5dBi to 5.5dBi, then it is just doubling (+3dBi).
Is the reflector causing the doubling or are the antenna doing it. (From a 2.5 dBi di-pole to a 5.5dBi antenna? and reflector as extra?)

Are these di-pole antennas? Doubled the power in one half sphere by reflection? Then it should give something like a half-dipole-donut shaped spectrum
Klembord-2.jpg
Klembord-3.jpg
Something like this ??? Ceiling mounted orientation (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dipole_antenna)
It would be nice to have the real spectrum.
Klembord-4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.