Community discussions

MikroTik App

Spaider
just joined
Topic Author

RBwAPR-2nD does not boot. Netinstall of no help

Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:53 pm

Hi,

I have a problem with my wAP LTE Kit router RBwAPR-2nD&R11e-LTE. It does not boot and even netinstall does not help.
When I plug the power in, two LEDs lights up: Power and the one on the other side of the board, closest to SIM slot (see attached picture).
Also, amber LED on Ethernet ports lights up a little, definitely not at the full brightness. This also can be seen on a picture.

Nothing happens when I hold RESET during power on.

Is there anything can be done to debrick this bad guy?
I noticed there are 4 unsoldered pins for serial on a board. Will it work if I solder pins and connect serial?

Please advice,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cdemers
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: RBwAPR-2nD does not boot. Netinstall of no help

Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:51 am

Looks like a board problem. Possibly bad cap, damaged Ethernet or internal power supply failure.

hecatae
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:38 am

Have you tried powering via PoE?

nescafe2002
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:06 pm

I have this same device with the same symptoms. Applying pressure to the chip (heat sink) solved the issue.

Put a piece of foam or a folded paper between the heat sink and the case to 'solve' this issue.. or RMA the device.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=138928

Video: https://youtu.be/WTYEZuuX-CU

Spaider
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:44 pm

Have you tried powering via PoE?
That's what I did from the very first day. After that I've tried to power through dedicated socket as well. Same story.
Pressing heatsink did not solve the problem.

I think that the board is deadly dead :(

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:58 pm

How the problem started ?
Does the device behave like rebooting ?
Connecting the ethernet, can you see the device through winbox ? Is there any activity on the ethernet leds ?

Spaider
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:21 pm

How the problem started ?
Does the device behave like rebooting ?
Connecting the ethernet, can you see the device through winbox ? Is there any activity on the ethernet leds ?
First of all, from the very beginning, I always used PoE. I was plugging in and out device once a couple of minutes. I looked for a best place to put device inside my home. After several restarts it stopped casting WiFi but at that time some chaotic LEDs activity still happened during boot process. After several attempts to revive device via resets/hard-resets it became like it is now: two LEDs light up during power up with no blinking.

As a last resort I've tried to solder serial on board. There is some activity during power up but it makes no sense. I see only a random garbage, whichever params I select. (baud rate, parity, etc).

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:52 pm

After several attempts to revive device via resets/hard-resets it became like it is now
Can you describe those attempts ?

Spaider
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:51 pm

After several attempts to revive device via resets/hard-resets it became like it is now
Can you describe those attempts ?
I don't think I can describe them accurately. It was several months ago and only now I found some time to get the device from the shelf.
AFAIR I've tried from simplest to heaviest, may I say: reset, then 30-30-30 reset several times. And I had a feeling that nothing was helpful. But during first couple of attempts at least it was blinking with LEDs after power up. Suddenly it stopped. I don't think I can add more details :(

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:48 pm

As a last resort I've tried to solder serial on board
Any chance you damaged the board ?

Spaider
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:00 am

As a last resort I've tried to solder serial on board
Any chance you damaged the board ?
There's always a non-zero chance :) I certainly did no drop it but maybe (MAYBE) I accidentally scratched off some SMDs. I don't have another device to compare to but visually all components are in place.

I actually give up on this guy. Hope that I will find where to re-use modem if it's still operational.