Community discussions

MikroTik App

kallquk
just joined
Topic Author

multicast specific problem

Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:47 pm

hello,

I have a main mikrotik router & some others mikrotik routers connected to it, all with latest software 6.49.2, where I configured igmp-proxy.
This is working fine.

The problem is that tv company has multiple streams(10to12) in one multicast ip, where the difference is in the port.
Some mikrotiks has eoip connection over internet with the main one, and if a stb connected to these mikrotiks, require one of streams in a ip multicast with multiple streams, all streams of that ip are joined unnecessarily, going in a unbearable bandwidth state.
If mikrotik is connected directly by ethernet to main one, STB connected works well, positioned to ONE channel only, but the bandwidth of the ethernet is about 90 -110 mbps, because of reason above.

Is anyway to filter only one stream required specifically by STB ?
Can I do something using pim instead igmp-proxy ?

thanks in advance

jbl42
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: multicast specific problem

Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:27 pm

The problem is that tv company has multiple streams(10to12) in one multicast ip, where the difference is in the port.
Some mikrotiks has eoip connection over internet with the main one, and if a stb connected to these mikrotiks, require one of streams in a ip multicast with multiple streams, all streams of that ip are joined unnecessarily, going in a unbearable bandwidth state.
Maybe I misunderstood something, but joining multicast groups is based on multicast IP adresses only. There is no concept of joining a group for a specific port.
If a host ist member of a multicast group, it will reveice all messages to all ports directed the the group address. This is how IGMP and IP multicast works.

kallquk
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:18 pm

Maybe I misunderstood something, but joining multicast groups is based on multicast IP adresses only. There is no concept of joining a group for a specific port.
If a host ist member of a multicast group, it will reveice all messages to all ports directed the the group address. This is how IGMP and IP multicast works.
Thank you for the help
Yes it is the problem, positioning to a single channel from stb, needs a bandwidth of 90 ~ 110mbps, and this sends to 90% all CPUs
and from you answer does not seem a solution.
Can I split them to single ips or any kind of port forwarding ?

christian178

Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:46 pm

Hi,

you can't split.
i think it's not multicast with one IP :-)
It can't work with one IP and many Ports for different streams.

christian