Community discussions

MikroTik App

PetersonZ73
just joined
Topic Author

Wifi issue

Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:31 am

I'm going slightly mad...
I have a Mikrotik hap ac^2, it works perfectly.
There is a desktop PC in the house (wired), 2 smartphone, a private laptop and a corporate one, all four wireless.
The private laptop is a Dell Inspiron 15 5567, all drivers updated, OS is W10, and this red devil (literally) cannot connect to the wifi after OS start only after a router reboot.
Each damn time.
All the other devices works perfectly, only this #&@>#&@%!$ drives me crazy every f* time.
I've tried everything, but I can't find what the problem is as after router reboot everything works fine on it too.
At last I've set a fix DHCP for the Dell but it doesn't help: I still have to reboot the router after Windows started.
What is it I can't see, what is it I can't find?
Thank you.

...and sorry, I try to find the perfect topic, but I can't find any too.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Wifi issue

Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:40 am

When you say it does connect, do you mean you can actually browse and look things up for a few minutes?

/export hide-sensitive file=anynameyouwish

PetersonZ73
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:49 pm

When you say it does connect, do you mean you can actually browse and look things up for a few minutes?

/export hide-sensitive file=anynameyouwish
I'm sorry but I can't understand your question.
I never said that.
I said when I start the Windows on this Dell laptop and try to connect to the wifi -automatically, manually, it doesn't matter-, it doesn't work only after a router reboot.
After a router reboot it works perfectly as the other devices but when I shut it down and power on again, I have to reboot the router.
Again and again and again and...
The other devices works perfectly without any reboot or any change in the settings, I don't have to do anything for them. Never.
Only for this red devil but for this always...

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:02 pm

The "red devil" will not tell you why. (But it might be somewhere deep in his logbooks)

The easier spot is the MT router. The Wireless "Registration table" will tell you what the connection status is.
Even better, the MT log. To have enough information add Wireless to the logging.
/system logging add topics=wireless
Normally this is a better approach than just #&@>#&@%!$ on the problem.
Is there anything in the log about the wifi connection, when it does not work? Or does the "red devil" not even try to connect ?

404Network
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:12 am

repeat, without seeing the config, your not helping yourself

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:11 am

You do say all drivers are updated but, having spend some time experimenting with hAP AC2 this week to get Wifi connection speed up, how do you know ?
On my Win11 laptop I had to MANUALLY upgrade the Intel Wifi drivers to a newer version in order to solve some connectivity issues. It would not connect to any of the SRD channels otherwise (higher channels).
Windows update said all was fine. But it wasn't until I checked myself if a newer driver was available.

If your router is set to auto, it might be that upon reboot it sits on channel A but for some reason it moves to channel B (radar detection ?).
Other devices might be able to cope with that change but that red devil might not be so flexible.
(true story: on one old Dell D860 laptop testing with this week I was busting my head to find why it would not connect to 5Ghz only to find out that wifi card is 2.4GHz only...we forget sometimes those limitations exist. Splitting SSIDs in xyz-2.4 and xyz-5 made that one pretty clear)

At boot: what's the channel of your Wifi set at ?
When it stops working, what's it then ? Still the same ? Something else ?

As indicated before, a look at your router config might help but I am not that convinced it is the source of the problem.
The fact all other devices work and just not that one, makes one think chances are pretty high the issue is with that one device, not elsewhere.
If this changing of frequency is the reason why that device can not connect anymore, then that's the reason. Limitations of that device.
And then you can mitigate preventing the router from using those channels (which then again might reduce overall performance but that's a choice you need to make then if you accept that or not).

But ... all of this is speculation if you do not provide all details. It could be something entirely different too.

infabo
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:48 pm

2.4ghz Interface is ready earlier than 5ghz, especially when using DFS channels. So maybe the notebook connects to 2.4ghz after router reboot. But later wants to use 5ghz instead - failing cause of high channel some devices do not support.

xeudoron
just joined

Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:30 pm

Hello,

I had a similar issue and want to share my experience, which hopefully will help someone.

I have an "older" Lenovo ThinkPad X240, Win10, all drivers up-to-date (no update since 2020) and MikroTik hAP ac2. Had no problem until an upgrade to RoS 7xx. Sice the upgrade I was sometimes unable to connect to WiFi until router reboot with Windows saying that he can't connect to that WiFi but other devices had no problem. So I did some research and found out, that the Lenovo laptop (when I rebooted the router) would connect to 2.4GHz WiFi instead of 5GHz, but the actual HW ("Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 7260") was 5GHz capable. After reading some forums about this chip and its problems I changed width for the 5GHz channel inside Device Manager > WiFi Adapter > 5GHz channel width from Auto to 20MHz. After that the laptop immediately connected to 5GHz WiFi and since then no problems occurred. Another fact is that 2.4GHz WiFi starts much earlier than 5GHz, so I assume, that since there was no other, laptop would connect to 2.4GHz, but after 5GHz was up, somehow he would get stuck to connecting to that and due to driver/settings misconfiguration, he was unable to do anything until ONLY 2.4GHz WiFi was available again. Another thing is that I was unable to get any info from router logs.

Sorry for any mistakes in my writing and hope it helps anyone.

xeudoron
just joined

Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:31 pm

Hello,

I had a similar issue and want to share my experience, which hopefully will help someone.

I have an "older" Lenovo ThinkPad X240, Win10, all drivers up-to-date (no update since 2020) and MikroTik hAP ac2. Had no problem until an upgrade to RoS 7xx. Sice the upgrade I was sometimes unable to connect to WiFi until router reboot with Windows saying that he can't connect to that WiFi but other devices had no problem. So I did some research and found out, that the Lenovo laptop (when I rebooted the router) would connect to 2.4GHz WiFi instead of 5GHz, but the actual HW ("Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 7260") was 5GHz capable. After reading some forums about this chip and its problems I changed width for the 5GHz channel inside Device Manager > WiFi Adapter > 5GHz channel width from Auto to 20MHz. After that the laptop immediately connected to 5GHz WiFi and since then no problems occurred. Another fact is that 2.4GHz WiFi starts much earlier than 5GHz, so I assume, that since there was no other, laptop would connect to 2.4GHz, but after 5GHz was up, somehow he would get stuck to connecting to that and due to driver/settings misconfiguration, he was unable to do anything until ONLY 2.4GHz WiFi was available again. Another thing is that I was unable to get any info from router logs.

Sorry for any mistakes in my writing and hope it helps anyone.

lukider
just joined

Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:43 am

The "red devil" will not tell you why. (But it might be somewhere deep in his logbooks)

The easier spot is the MT router. The Wireless "Registration table" will tell you what the connection status is.
Even better, the MT log. To have enough information add Wireless to the logging.
Normally this is a better approach than just #&@>#&@%!$ on the problem.
Is there anything in the log about the wifi connection, when it does not work? Or does the "red devil" not even try to connect ?
- it helped me immediately, i saw in the log "wifi2: denying assoc to XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX, does not support all basic rates". And after 2 minutes problem resolved - before i found this post 2 hours of trying to solve the problem. (and what I did,.... I just set the basic rate to - Default)
bpwl - thank you

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:20 am

If that environment is under your control, I would check if that one device can not be replaced.