hecatae
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: RBWAPR-2ND&R11E-LTE or RB912R-2nD-LTm&R11e-LTE for LTE-Uplink

Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:14 pm

I'd go for the RBWAPR, reasons
https://mikrotik.com/products/compare/R ... 2R-2nD-LTm

Lower power usage, you do not need the GPS of the LTAP, or the Serial connection, WAPR is IP54, LTAP is IP20.
You may find another LTE card performs better than the R11e-LTE, the Quectel EC25 for example works well with both units, or the EP06 or EM12G

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: RBWAPR-2ND&R11E-LTE or RB912R-2nD-LTm&R11e-LTE for LTE-Uplink

Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:16 pm

I'd go for the RBWAPR, reasons
https://mikrotik.com/products/compare/R ... 2R-2nD-LTm

Lower power usage, you do not need the GPS of the LTAP, or the Serial connection, WAPR is IP54, LTAP is IP20.
You may find another LTE card performs better than the R11e-LTE, the Quectel EC25 for example works well with both units, or the EP06 or EM12G
I'd too agree with the wAP ac R - we use them instead of the LtAP in a lot of cases. If you want one modem, one SIM card, that's the way to go.

Since sometime I want to throw a Mikrotik for other reasons, I can say the wAP be easier to toss over a tree limb than a LtAP. I suppose you can attach additional "guide wire(s)" to wAP, in addition to the power-over-ethernet-over-tree-limb" cable. to the wAP to keep it more in the same spot. The antenna is omni, so if it's really moving around a lot, performance/speed likely be more variable since the signal quality may change or move roam to a new tower as it moves. Imagine it still work fine if it was moving, just speed change.

The other way of doing this is getting an external antenna to toss over the tree limb, but you'd have RF cable loss the higher your desired branch AND RF cables are thicker than ethernet or aluminum/nylon guide wires.

If you cared about maximizing performance, the R11e modems sometime lack the needed LTE bands, and have limited carrier aggregation abilities. In Europe, the R11e are better aligned, in the US/Canada, all of Mikrotiks R11e LTE modems can use a fraction of the possible LTE bands available – with the "-US" variant generally being the worst.

So you install a third party modem, which likely get better speeds, but does take some work to get the parts and put together. If you're doing this, Mikrotik does make a wAP ac R that ships without any modem. A lot of folks on the forum use the Quectel modems, so those be good choices. I've had good luck with the Telit 960 in the wAP ac R since that can get 4x4 MIMO by mounting 2 more antennas from the bottom of the wAP - but the Telit modems are pricey for the "5G" support that may not be needed/available/setup.

Good luck. Please post a picture when you're done :).