Community discussions

MikroTik App

emericjdp
just joined
Topic Author

LR8 LoRaWAN Transmission problem

Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:34 pm

Hello everyone,

I am experiencing a weird problem in my setup with my LR8 Gateway connected to The Things Network with multiple devices.
I am not a LoRaWAN expert and I might have missed something that's why I am posting it now after a few weeks experiencing this problem.
My devices are performing Link Check request every 3 minutes (very frequent for test purpose) and I can manually force a LCR to test while having my problem.

What I can see :
- from time to time during a time span of less than 2 minutes no devices can receive a message from the gateway
- gateway keeps receiving messages
- gateway log shows it's receiving and transmiting messages correctly
- no log errors
- in debug mode in my embedded code it shows no answer from the gateway
- using USB LoraWAN module it shows no answer from the gateway

Here is the description of my system and the logs I'm showing afterwards.

Device behaviour: PING/LCR every 3 min – User can perform a forced LCR (less than 3 minutes between 2 pings).
If no answer received -> new ping without waiting (less than 10 s after the failed ping).
If no answer after this new ping / LCR -> ping every 30 seconds.
If answer received : ping every 3 minutes.

Gateway log (Mikrotik LR8) – Device 26 0B 70 7D:
10h04:58 RX Uplink LCR
10h05:02 TX Downlink LCR Answer - Gateway says it answered to the device but device never received it).
10h05:04 RX Uplink LCR - Less than 10 s after the last one. Meaning the last LCR failed.
10h05:09 TX Downlink LCR Answer - Gateway says it answered to the device but device never received it).
… LCR every 30 s until…
10h06:35 RX Uplink LCR
10h06:39 TX Downlink LCR Answer - Device received it because next ping is in 3 minutes

Multiple devices having the same problem at the same time:
- 2 embedded MM002-EU LoRaWAN modules on devices. (26 0B 70 7D and 26 0B 4F 39)
- 1 USB MM002-EU LoRaWAN modules with better antenna to test connectivity. USB device trying to join after the first failed LCR (26 0B 52 81)

Device 26 0B 70 7D:
log1.png
All devices:
log2.png

Router log:
logconsole.png
I hope this will make sense to someone and that I'm just missing something simple.

Thanks for reading this (long) post and trying to help me ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

emericjdp
just joined
Topic Author

Re: LR8 LoRaWAN Transmission problem

Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:55 pm

I just recorded a video showing the TX messages not sent despite being shown as sent in the Lora Traffic log.
Here is a screenshot of the video showing the RX without any TX when asking for a link check request for 3 different devices on 4 different channels:
log_lora-not_responding.jpg
I used SDR Airspy to monitor the radio messages:
log_lora-not_responding_frequency.jpg
It usually looks like this when working fine:
log_lora-responding.jpg
log_lora-responding_frequency.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

denissMT
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:28 am

Hello!
We have already found a similar issue with the LoRa.

If you can confirm that this behavior happens every 70 minutes (after the device is rebooted or LoRa interface is disabled and reenabled) and that after 70 minutes, the downlink messages stop being sent for the duration of 2 minutes (even though the RouterOS log shows that the downlink message was received) and that the LoRa server itself indicates "TOO_EARLY" errors during this time --> we can confirm that the issue is getting fixed in the upcoming releases.

miro
Trainer
Trainer

Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:11 am

Hello!
We have already found a similar issue with the LoRa.

If you can confirm that this behavior happens every 70 minutes (after the device is rebooted or LoRa interface is disabled and reenabled) and that after 70 minutes, the downlink messages stop being sent for the duration of 2 minutes (even though the RouterOS log shows that the downlink message was received) and that the LoRa server itself indicates "TOO_EARLY" errors during this time --> we can confirm that the issue is getting fixed in the upcoming releases.

Hello Denis, was this issue happening only in RouterOS v7, or also in v6.x? Because I have LR8 wap with ROS v6.49.6. and in the changelog from April for this release, I don't see any remarks about Lora.

A few days ago, I replaced some other vendor's Lora gateway with Mikrotik and now some devices at customer don't connect to TTN, about half of the sensors are working ok. Well, I'm also not a Lora expert, and I would like to collect as much as info I can, before I drive a few dozen kilometers to hard reset sensors...

denissMT
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:07 am

Based on the changelog:
https://mikrotik.com/download/changelogs
It was fixed starting with 7.3.
*) lora - fixed bogus TOO_EARLY errors;