Community discussions

MikroTik App

uberdome
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

PowerBox Pro - 4 Pair Input? Full .at output?

Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:56 pm

I'd like to suggest two design revisions for the PowerBox Pro and the hEX PoE:

1. Allow powering on all 4 pairs via 802.3bt standard or just passive. It currently accepts PoE on all 4 pairs, but only draws power from 2.

2. Provide a full 802.3at power output on the ports. The ports currently claim a 450mA limitation when operating at 48V. It would be awesome to see that raised to the standard 0.6A (Like the netPower), or even high enough to have one port handle 35W (on 2 pair or 4 pair).

These seem like minor things, but they are limiting where I can use the PowerBox and hEX PoE. I don't like having to use a Netonix and MikroTik when these revisions could allow me to use only MikroTik.

marekm

Re: PowerBox Pro - 4 Pair Input? Full .at output?

Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:42 am

3. Add reverse PoE so the device can be get redundant power from all ports. In the 4 PoE-out ports, move the series diodes so they are parallel to the power switches (normally reverse-biased).

millenium7
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:25 am

I suggest get rid the 'powerbox' entirely as its a stupid product, who wants 100mbit ports just to save a tiny amount
Then rename the PowerBox Pro to just 'PowerBox'

Now release PowerBox Pro v2 that is actually a 'pro' model, with 24/48v switching (with a single 48-60v input on eth1, not silly dual DC inputs like other products) that has 6x ports. If there's a chipset limitation then make ether1 directly to CPU as its used in most installations for input power, not for switching. ether2-6 PoE out
As well as a PowerBox MegaPro with 16 ports. PoE input on ports 1-4 to allow enough amperage, as well as DC jack's, 2x SFP+

olivier2831
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:20 am

These seem like minor things, but they are limiting where I can use the PowerBox and hEX PoE.
For curiosity's sake, what do you use the PowerBox and hEX PoE, for ? For powering WiFi AP? IP phones ?

As in WiFi AP, Nbase-T is a growing requirement, maybe, a PowerBox-like device with a small port count and compact size but higher power and throughput (>1 Gb/s) would make sense where you don't want to install new cables.

uberdome
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:07 pm

For curiosity's sake, what do you use the PowerBox and hEX PoE, for ? For powering WiFi AP? IP phones ?
I currently use Netonix for much of my small unit power since it can handle the power requirements. I want 4-pair input to help reduce voltage drop and reduce current. I would like to run with confidence things like the Mimosa A5 which wants 25W maximum (PowerBox Pro is only rated to ~22W per port), and other higher power devices. I usually only need one higher-power unit per location, so a 4PPoE feed and a single 4PPoE port with other regular PoE ports works fine for me.

I'd be very interested to power higher power units with 35W like a Terragraph DN , Tarana RN, Cambium XV3 and other things that I need to use a Netonix for currently.

As in WiFi AP, Nbase-T is a growing requirement, maybe, a PowerBox-like device with a small port count and compact size but higher power and throughput (>1 Gb/s) would make sense where you don't want to install new cables.
I've been thinking about this statement. I'm not so concerned about installing new cables as having a small router that has good PoE (Even if I run more/longer cables, I'm still looking to put a small PoE router somewhere in the configuration). Right now for small sites I have to put a Netonix WS-6-MINI and a MikroTik hEX or similar to have routing and good PoE. I only have the PowerBox Pro where I have low power requirements.

uberdome
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:14 pm

I suggest get rid the 'powerbox' entirely as its a stupid product, who wants 100mbit ports just to save a tiny amount
Then rename the PowerBox Pro to just 'PowerBox'

In defense of the PowerBox, it is just an older product. I used it in many places before we started putting gigabit hardware at sites and it worked very well. We still have many old ones installed at many locations where 100 Mbps+ is not a requirement yet. I am not buying more of them, but I do appreciate that MikroTik continues to produce and support some of their older hardware .

Now release PowerBox Pro v2 that is actually a 'pro' model, with 24/48v switching (with a single 48-60v input on eth1, not silly dual DC inputs like other products) that has 6x ports. If there's a chipset limitation then make ether1 directly to CPU as its used in most installations for input power, not for switching. ether2-6 PoE out
As well as a PowerBox MegaPro with 16 ports. PoE input on ports 1-4 to allow enough amperage, as well as DC jack's, 2x SFP+

I would like to see a single-input product that then has both low and high PoE output; but, just like we're seeing less and less 100 Mbps MikroTik needs, we're also seeing less and less need for 24V. Still, it would be handy.

My biggest concerns are 4PPoE input to facilitate higher power requirements and full .3at output to handle higher power consumption devices. It would be really nice to have at least 1 4PPoE output as well for higher power units too.

damadmai
just joined

Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:14 am

It would be really great if 4 Pair PoE would be supported.

Meanwhile i am doing this to use 4 Pair to power Mikrotik/Ubiquiti Routers:
viewtopic.php?p=758210#p758210
(Ubiquiti EdgeRouter 6P 'powered' by MikroTik RBGPOE with 4-Pair PoE Injector)

Together with POE-24-30W 24V passive 4-Pair PoE Power Adapter

uberdome
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:31 pm

I like your solution. I use a similar concept with off-the-shelf splitters.

I'm using this PoE splitter for the same 4PPoE purpose currently:
POE-INJ-1000-WT (https://www.tyconsystems.com/poe-inj-1000-wt)

An alternative pinout version is the POE-INJ-1000-WTx (https://www.tyconsystems.com/poe-inj-1000-wtx)

I have a different situation also requiring surge protection at the splitter, and am going to use these:
800-GIGE-POE-APC (https://www.mccowntech.com/product/rack ... protector/)

An alternative could be the 800-CAT6-POE-APC (https://www.mccowntech.com/product/rack ... ctor-copy/)