Community discussions

MikroTik App

stanoev94
just joined
Topic Author

WiFi6 solution for Mikrotik-based SOHO network

Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:36 pm

Hello.
I want to setup a network for my home which have 3 floor-house , one guest house and a gym. I am MikroTik user for more than 5 years and I want to setup a network with a MikroTik router and some APs which could operate in a mesh network to cover all the areas in my home.
So far I decided to use a HEX v3 as main unit. Most probably I will need to put a dumb switch as well which is not a problem. But I cannot find a proper solution for my Wireless.
I was thinking of using TP LINK DECO X20 3-pack. The easiest way is to set them up all as AP but it turns out that this is limiting the TP LINK software for management. The only solution is to use one unit as a router so I could have a proper management of my wireless. So I would like to ask you is there a way to use the advantages and management of the HEX for all my local network and also to have the option to manage the wireless of 3 or 4 WiFi6 APs?
Thank you.

PS. Its not mandatory to be TP LINK. I just need to stay in some budget. Cannot afford to buy $1000 APs.

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Re: WiFi6 solution for Mikrotik-based SOHO network

Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:28 pm

get Mikrotik APs and use them in CAPsMAN mode...

You can use any wireless routerboard for this... heX can be the CAPsMAN master.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:13 pm

You can have 1 tplink as router, no dhcp, nothing. The others will connect through switch function of hex or added switch.

That's how I have it using 3 deco p7 devices.

Capsman is another option but then no wifi6.
Mikrotik AP are pretty cheap though...

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:42 pm

get Mikrotik APs and use them in CAPsMAN mode...

You can use any wireless routerboard for this... heX can be the CAPsMAN master.
The guys asks for wifi6... You recommend wifi4.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:47 pm

Unfortunately... Mikrotik wireless is nothing like the cost vs performance their routers are.

uberwebguru
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:30 pm

Unfortunately... Mikrotik wireless is nothing like the cost vs performance their routers are.
Audience claims 20,000 sq ft coverage; try find a router/AP that can cover that much for $169. Will wait
Yeah they are lacking wifi 6 for now, but they work day and night remember? so soon i believe

uberwebguru
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:31 pm

Hello.
I want to setup a network for my home which have 3 floor-house , one guest house and a gym. I am MikroTik user for more than 5 years and I want to setup a network with a MikroTik router and some APs which could operate in a mesh network to cover all the areas in my home.
So far I decided to use a HEX v3 as main unit. Most probably I will need to put a dumb switch as well which is not a problem. But I cannot find a proper solution for my Wireless.
I was thinking of using TP LINK DECO X20 3-pack. The easiest way is to set them up all as AP but it turns out that this is limiting the TP LINK software for management. The only solution is to use one unit as a router so I could have a proper management of my wireless. So I would like to ask you is there a way to use the advantages and management of the HEX for all my local network and also to have the option to manage the wireless of 3 or 4 WiFi6 APs?
Thank you.

PS. Its not mandatory to be TP LINK. I just need to stay in some budget. Cannot afford to buy $1000 APs.
In same boat as you and am going with Audience, that is their mesh product
https://mikrotik.com/product/audience

Also they cover 20k sq ft, so you will only need just 1!!!

mozerd
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:54 pm

Also they cover 20k sq ft, so you will only need just 1!!!
do you really believe that? I sure as heck do not !

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:57 pm

Audience claims 20,000 sq ft coverage; try find a router/AP that can cover that much for $169. Will wait
Yeah they are lacking wifi 6 for now, but they work day and night remember? so soon i believe
Do you like talking out the back of your rear end???
If there is no wifi6 chipset in an audience what do you think working day and night is going to achieve???
Oh I see, you believe in Santa Claus and Latvian elves are going to come down our chimneys and install new hardware and firmware in our sleep!