Community discussions

MikroTik App

fpawlak
just joined
Topic Author

Is still ipsec fasttrack bypass rule needed in ROS7

Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:49 pm

Hi guys,
simple question about ipsec and fasttrack.
With ROS7+ do I still need to add 'bypass rule'?
eg.
/ip firewall mangle add action=mark-connection chain=forward comment="Mark IPsec" ipsec-policy=out,ipsec new-connection-mark=ipsec
/ip firewall mangle add action=mark-connection chain=forward comment="Mark IPsec" ipsec-policy=in,ipsec new-connection-mark=ipsec

/ip firewall filter add action=fasttrack-connection chain=forward comment=FastTrack connection-mark=!ipsec connection-state=established,related
I have seen something similar on default config on my CAP ac after upgrade to ROS 7.1.3 so probably is still needed

g18c
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Is still ipsec fasttrack bypass rule needed in ROS7

Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:38 am

Yes still needed.

Braddock
just joined

Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:41 pm

I have a question regarding the mangle rules that mark ipsec connections to be skipped by fasttrack:
Do the mangle rules have to check every packet, or is it good enough to mark only packets with connection-state=new ?

Something like this:
/ip firewall mangle add action=mark-connection chain=forward comment="Mark IPsec" connection-state=new ipsec-policy=out,ipsec new-connection-mark=ipsec
/ip firewall mangle add action=mark-connection chain=forward comment="Mark IPsec" connection-state=new ipsec-policy=in,ipsec new-connection-mark=ipsec

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:27 am

New is enough. That's the point, connection tracking recognizes to what connection each packet belongs, so once you mark connection, you can use just connection-mark=XXX as condition, when you need do to something else with packets that belong to this connection. You don't have to test each packet against all other possibly complicated conditions.