Community discussions

MikroTik App

vtonian
just joined
Topic Author

Where does one buy the SIM cards...?

Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:20 pm

This is probably a stupid question but I haven't been able to find the answer. I'm in the US, testing out a SXT LTE kit.

I tried asking my cell provider, Sprint/TMobile, their frontline support folks say no, although I've seen posts here about using TMobile.

I looked at GoogleFi and from what I can read about it, they seem to have the same common limitation of the device needing to be approved/compatible. No one I've found yet lists things like a SXT LTE kit, they all seem to be looking for phone IMEI's.

I thought maybe a cellular service reseller company might be more flexible, and I saw a SIM from a company called EIOTCLUB, but nothing that really confirms this is the kind of thing that should work.

Obviously, other people are using these SXT LTE kit's, but Microtik nor cell providers seem to want to make it easy. What's the secret?

Thanks much, I appreciate any information, insights, schooling or constructive derision.

Matthew

vtonian
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Where does one buy the SIM cards...?

Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:53 pm

Anyone? Please?

MT support replied to my request with, 'Our LTE products including SXT LTE kit are designed to be used with standardized sim cards which are provided by mobile operators'.

Not helpful, since I already stated I've looked into Sprint/TMobile, Verizon and GoogleFi. Entering the IMEI at those vendors says it is not compatible.

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:42 pm

I am not sure i understand the question...

I 've used a couple of LTE products, like WAP R, WAP R AC, LHGG LTE and LTAP LTE...
ALL are using standard SIM cards like the ones we are using on Mobile Phones... Never had any problem with the SIM cards...

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:57 pm

What IMEI is needed for? Does seller need it to activate card to bind SIM with IMEI?
What if you want move card to other phone or device? Do you need to reregister card to different IMEI?

dave3

Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:42 am

In many countries, you just buy a SIM card, and use it however you like. It's on you to make sure the phone or device is compatible. The provider doesn't care much what you use it for, as long as it's paid for.

I understand in the US it's a little different. I've heard AT&T is whitelisting IMEI numbers and the phone or device has to be approved by them, otherwise they won't activate it. And if you activate it in a different device and switch it, they'll shut it down if the IMEI isn't whitelisted. So far, from what I've heard, T-Mobile is more lenient. They will check if it's compatible, but you can also decline the IMEI check, or activate it in one device and switch it to another. What they'll do in the future, I don't know.

Edit: I'll also add, that there may be devices that are technically compatible that aren't on AT&T or T-Mobile's IMEI compatibility list. For AT&T, it still has to be on their list. Even if it's compatible, if it's not on their list, they won't allow it. T-Mobile, for now, may show a device as incompatible if they check the IMEI, but it might still work if it's got the right LTE bands (and VoLTE for phones).

Hispanicbabushka
just joined

Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:02 am

Essentially, T-Mobile’s only offering that would match is the home internet plan, but they only allow certain equipment (their equipment), MT not included.

Your only option would be to order a bring your own device kit, so it just includes a sim. This might require you to say you will be using other equipment. Once you get the sim: 1. If you are attempting to use a “Mobile Internet line” which has “unlimited data” you will be rate limited because they will know you are using a non “mobile internet” device.* this is accomplished by use of IMEI #s which can be changed and allow full speed, but the legality/terms of service are not discussed here.

2. If you are using a pay as you go/data pass plan , 10gb for $30, or you pay for hotspot data on the line assigned to that sim, you won’t be rate limited for that data.

To answer your question: https://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone/t-mobile-sim-card

Better link? https://www.t-mobile.com/tablet/t-mobil ... t-sim-card

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:33 am

IMHO checking IMEI compatibility is only to avoid customers ' complains that "my device is not working with your SIM and network as you promised".

I've just filled in the form with my phone's IMEI via link you've provided. Phone was bought in Germany with German operator plan and SIM (not T-Mobile). I use it in Poland with Polish plan and SIM and checked that phone is compatibile. So what problems do you have?

Simple question: have you checked your SXT with any activated SIM or it's just a theoretical problem you dwell on ?

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:54 pm

IMHO checking IMEI compatibility is only to avoid customers ' complains that "my device is not working with your SIM and network as you promised".
It is also sometimes used with very cheap plans that are intended for occasional use or only for truly mobile use, to prevent that you use that plan for machine2machine or other permanent installs (for which they have other plans that are more expensive or have other restrictions or required information).

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:29 pm

This is probably a stupid question but I haven't been able to find the answer. I'm in the US, testing out a SXT LTE kit.

Obviously, other people are using these SXT LTE kit's, but Microtik nor cell providers seem to want to make it easy. What's the secret?
Short answer, AT&T likely best for SXT. Only Verizon actively and constantly enforces their whitelist of approved IMEIs. AT&T basically requires modules to "report" their IMEI number to the network, but should let you activate it.

There is a couple who live in an RV that have a great web site that reviews all the LTE plans in US: https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/planpicks/

Basically it's not easy in the US. See viewtopic.php?t=183061. The next problem is the bands, the SXT doesn't not support all the right ones used today in US.

Check out https://cellmapper.net to search for the towers/coverage, and LTE bands, in your area. And here is what the carriers support for 4G+ LTE bands vs the Mikrotik modem's support. Band 5 isn't very popular, while Band 12 is with AT&T, and unfortunately Band 13 is Verizon's primary band. I'm ignoring some new 5G bands for clarity.

T-Mobile
2 (1.9Ghz), 4 [66] (1.7/2.1Ghz), 5 (850Mhz), 12 (700Mhz), 71 (600Mhz), n41 (2.5Ghz)

AT&T
2 (1.9Ghz), 4 [66] (1.7/2.1GHz), 5 (850MHz), 12 [17] [29] (700 MHz), 30 (2.3GHz)

Verizion
2 (1.9Ghz), 4 (1.7/2.1Ghz), 5 (850Mhz), 13 (700Mhz), 66 (1.7Ghz)

Here is what the Mikrotik modems support

R11e-US - US models, "-US" versions of SXT, etc.
2 (1.9Ghz), 4 (1.7Ghz), 5 (850MHz), 12 (700MHz)

R11e-LTE6 - in the "-LTE6" models of SXT, etc.
1 (2.1Ghz), 2 (1.9Ghz), 3 (1.8Ghz), 5 (850MHz), 7 (1.7Ghz), 8 (900MHz), 20 (800MHz), 12 [17] (700MHz), 25 (1.9Ghz), 26 (850MHz), n41 (2.4Ghz)

R11e-LTE12 - in the Chateau LTE12
1 (2.1GHz), 3 (1.8GHz), 5 (850MHz), 7 (2.6GHz), 8 (900MHz), 20 (800MHz), 28 (700MHz)

zandhaas
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:17 pm

@vtonian Did you already try the sim from your own mobile phone?

vtonian
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:47 pm

Thanks so much everyone, for all the great info! Exactly what I needed.

First thing to add, after more reading, I realized I had accidently bought the non-US version (I'm in the US), and had been testing it with a TMobile SIM from a TMobile Franklin T9 hotspot. It showed it was communicating with the tower but not passing data, so I assumed TMobile knew it was not the T9 and was blocking it. From what y'all have said, maybe that's not the case. Anyway, I've now received the US version and will start testing that one shortly.

I really appreciate the link for the TMo SIM's, I couldn't find those at all. And the comments that there are a lot of variables to getting things to work out also help as at least now I know it's not supposed to be a simple process: other than configuration issues, problems could come from the different ways different providers protect/allow their different phone or device targeted services to be used, and the gray areas of techniques that may or may not work to stretch the limits.

I had seen that RV couple's site before and forgot about them. Thanks for that link, the cellmapper.net link, the bands, as well as the other threads, which are better than the ones I'd dug up.

I wanted to get this reply out before my day went south but I'll be testing this new US version later or this weekend and post back.

Thanks again, really appreciate your time.

Matthew