Community discussions

MikroTik App

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Re: How to downgrade beyond the factory installed version 7.1.1

Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:40 am

Hence my question whether we can somehow downgrade or whether we need to return the boxes and purchase ones with the factory installed version 6 on them please?

As the article you mentioned says: it is not possible to downgrade ROS to version lower than factory installed one. So try to persuade your supplier to replace your devices with ones coming with v6. I guess that new devices from production all come with v7, but they might be able to find some stash of slightly older devices ... Or you may want to try to get some refurbished/second hand devices.

eworm
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:21 pm

Depending on the exact device even that is not possible. First version of CCR2004 (the one with lots of SFP ports) supports running V6, the second version (with 16 ethernet ports) is v7 only. I guess you have the latter?

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:15 pm

Hello how can we downgrade from the factory installed version 7.1.1
That is the version the device has installed right now...
But what is the Factory Firmware version under /system routerboard ?
What is the Factory Software version under /system resources ?

murrayis
just joined

Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:25 am

CCR2004 is not stable in V6 - We have 6 of them on the shelf because they randomly lock up and reboot with the minimalist of configurations.

felixka
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:10 am

Well I guess it is ok for one's cheap home wifi router.... so nice reminder of where these products are targeted at, thanks for that Tik!
In most cases with MikroTik you end up getting much more than what they paid for. That's why we love them so much. But in some cases, and more so lately, you get exactly what you paid for.

It will get better, I'm very sure of that. If you need stuff that works right now, then you may want to check out other vendors in the meantime.

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:08 am

This is completely unacceptable for a vendor to start pushing new HW revision without backward compatibility and without any EOS/EOL dates announcement for the previous HW revision.
Well I guess it is ok for one's cheap home wifi router.... so nice reminder of where these products are targeted at, thanks for that Tik!
I can empathize, but the CCR2004's in question have some serious instabilities when not using RouterOS v7. If you are one of the few people who haven't had issues with this device on RouterOS v6, I'm sure that this would be incredibly frustrating to be pushed onto RouterOS v7 for this. However, I have heard from very few years who claimed this device was stable on RouterOS 6.

onnoossendrijver

Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:16 am

This is completely unacceptable for a vendor to start pushing new HW revision without backward compatibility and without any EOS/EOL dates announcement for the previous HW revision.
Cisco, Juniper (and many others) are doing the same thing: Release new hardware revisions that are incompatible with older software versions.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:10 pm

Cisco, Juniper (and many others) are doing the same thing: Release new hardware revisions that are incompatible with older software versions.

There are two distinct cases:
  1. new device model which requires some OS features (device drivers or some such) which were not available in older OS releases.
  2. factory default OS release installation

It is clear for case #1 that it would be highway to bricked device if one tried to install OS release without required features. And information about factory installed release is there to make sure this doesn't happen ... So if a device is clearly marked as "v7 only", then purchaser is kind of warned about consequences. But when buying device which is on the market a while one doesn't expect to be forced to use shiny new ROS version (which he wasn't prepared for yet).

The case #2, which is shortcut to burn this information into device, proves troublesome though. If a device is HW wise identical to devices of same model produced some time ago, it would very probably run same old ROS release as the older device just fine. So basically what would be extremely nice would be burning same lowest release version information in all devices of same HW revision, regardless factory default software. But that would probably require some additional steps in production line and MT decided not to do it this way.
When ROS is more or less stable, this doesn't matter as much ... there's no big difference between e.g. 6.46.2 and 6.48.4 ... if there's some minor problem, one can go to 6.49.5 and ROS will still behave more or less the same. The difference between v6 and v7 is large and it'll take some more time before v7 stabilizes enough for set-and-forget installations.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:58 pm

In MikroTik RB5009 second video was explained that in this device is not posible to downgrade because Old Kernel does not have support for that device SoC and switch chip

https://youtu.be/ibRUPoVxldc?t=105

enable subtitles when needed

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:44 pm

In MikroTik RB5009 second video was explained that in this device is not posible to downgrade because Old Kernel does not have support for that device SoC and switch chip

@OP complained about CCR2004 but didn't specify which particular model out of two: CCR2004-1G-12S+2XS and CCR2004-16G-2S+ . I'm pretty sure the later was able to run v6 but now both have "Operating System RouterOS (v7 only)" in their product pages. And I don't know if there's another hardware revision or simply new production batch.