Community discussions

MikroTik App

kubo
just joined
Topic Author

hAP ac3 powering two APs

Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:45 am

Hi,
I have hAP ac3 powered with DC jack (24V, 2.5A).
This router is powering cAP ac throug POE. To cAP ac is connected wAP which is also powered throug POE, but it doesnt work :D.
On cAP ac i found some cable test in interface menu, it says that wires are shorted. I tryid a bunge of cables, but still no succes.
So my question is, does the hAP ac3 has enough power to supply two devices using POE?
Or should I use DC jack with higher output voltage?

AidanAus
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: hAP ac3 powering two APs

Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:45 am

Going a higher voltage wont help much as the input voltage range is 12-28v, as well as this the hap AC 3 has the potential of using up to 30w of max consumption.
lets look at the PoE out as well, it will only be 500mA so it will only be able to offer 12w at 24 volt or if you get a larger voltage PSU 14w at 28 volts, moving on from there lets look at the cap ac requires up to 13w with 'no attachments'

Even with upping the PoE budget by either increasing the voltage or wattage of the PSU the hap AC 3 is not able to output enough power on its PoE out port to fit with in the recommended PoE budget range.
I think what I would suggest is just powering the cap AC with the PoE injector so it can get enough juice to power the wap off of it, the 30w adapter should be enough for this.

rfc1149
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: hAP ac3 powering two APs

Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:09 pm

Daisy chaining is tempting when you want to reduce cabling but it gets ridiculous at some point.
The power budget won't be there or stable. It's just not sane to test for during certification.