Community discussions

MikroTik App

Nevon
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Force a certain IP subnet a certain path with multiple BGP peers.

Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:41 am

Can I force a certain IP subnet a certain way in and out if I have several BGP peers.
So I want to prioritize a certain Peer for this subnet.

Possible?

eduplant
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Force a certain IP subnet a certain path with multiple BGP peers.

Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:27 pm

Technically it’s possible as long as the prefix you want to advertise is shorter (in terms of bit length) than the longest your peers will accept (usually /24). Since IP is destination-routed, it isn’t so much a BGP issue for outbound but you could policy route traffic from that network towards a particular exit.

Practically speaking, what are you trying to accomplish? It might be tempting to do this for load-sharing your links or something but remember that you have way less control over the path to you than you would within your own network.

woland
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:03 pm

Hi Nevon,

in a basic setup:
-you do this inbound for any route with path prepend if you connect to multiple ASes (you add the same AS a few times, so that you have a longer path for that route over one of your routers)
-you can do outbound traffic steering with local preference
-if you connect to multiple routers from a single AS on the other side you can use MED to steer inbound traffic
There is more to it, the details are quite complicated, so I suggest you should read some docs.
I find one of the best free resources on BGP is from Juniper: https://www.juniper.net/documentation/u ... index.html

BR
W

Nevon
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:26 am

Thanks!