MikroTik App

broderick
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

How to connect a real browser to a Mikrotik in GNS3 VM

Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:22 pm

Hi,
I'd like to figure out how to connect a browser (I downloaded a portable version of Firefox for the purpose) running on my phisycal Windows 10 PC to a Mikrotik virtual router I set up in GNS3 which in turn runs as a VM in Vmware workstation, so that any rules or setup I'll practice with on my Mikrotik virtual divice would affect my external Browser internet access and navigation.
Here is a simple network topology I set up:

The Mikrotik router IP is 192.168.244.139.

Could you help me please?
Thanks

Hominidae

Re: How to connect a real browser to a Mikrotik in GNS3 VM

Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:22 pm

so that any rules or setup I'll practice with on my Mikrotik virtual divice would affect my external Browser internet access and navigation.
...isn't it "..so that any rules or setup I'll practice with on my Mikrotik virtual divice would *not* affect my external Browser internet access and navigation" ??

Besides the fact, that you need to create an IP path (you could enable wireguard in the MT and install a wg client on your windows PC) between your local PC and the virtual MT in order to access it for configuration services (webfig or winbox), webfig does not have a safe mode, like winbox does.
So there is always a risk without failsafe, that you will lock yourself out.
I'd recommend using winbox (safe mode) as you seem to have a win PV available.

broderick
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: How to connect a real browser to a Mikrotik in GNS3 VM

Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:42 pm

so that any rules or setup I'll practice with on my Mikrotik virtual divice would affect my external Browser internet access and navigation.
...isn't it "..so that any rules or setup I'll practice with on my Mikrotik virtual divice would *not* affect my external Browser internet access and navigation" ??

Besides the fact, that you need to create an IP path (you could enable wireguard in the MT and install a wg client on your windows PC) between your local PC and the virtual MT in order to access it for configuration services (webfig or winbox), webfig does not have a safe mode, like winbox does.
So there is always a risk without failsafe, that you will lock yourself out.
I'd recommend using winbox (safe mode) as you seem to have a win PV available.
I didn't understand what you mean.
Maybe I was not clear enough. Sorry.
Anyway.
Maybe the right way to do it is setting up another Vm in Vmware workstation running a light OS with a basic browser, creating a custom network adapter (say, VMnet2) for it, which would be the LAN network both for this VM and the VM in which runs GNS and the Mikrotik virtual router.
I did it something similar when I used to practice with debian. I created a debian server with two network adapters (WAN and LAN/custom VMnet2) and I debian client with only a network adapter (LAN/VMnet2).

However, I wanted to avoid to setup another VM in my VMware and tried to figure out something different, but it seems a bit more difficult than I expected.
Thanks