Community discussions

MikroTik App

timh767
just joined
Topic Author

SXTR/Quectel + Telstra and Optus (Australia)

Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:27 am

I have a SXTR with a Quectel ep06e modem in it.

https://wisp.net.au/mikrotik-rbsxtr.html
https://wisp.net.au/quectel-ep06-e.html

I want to install both an Optus and Telstra sim in it so when I get on site I can easily check which has the best connection and use that, without having to drop the modem down off the pole and physically swap sims. Both prepaid sims, I'll just let the unused one run out.

The Optus sim has been working fine in sim slot A testing in my office. Today I activated a Telstra sim and installed it in sim slot B. APN telstra.internet, rest defaults. Two problems....

Problem 1. I can't get the Telstra sim to activate on anything other than 3G. If I disable 3G with LTE enabled it won't connect. Cell scan in the Mikrotik picks up B28, B1, B3, B7. Can anyone help me with settings to get the Telstra sim to work? It connects to LTE in my Samsung S20 so I assume the sim is properly enabled by Telstra.

Problem 2. First off the Telstra sim got jammed in slot B, took some swearing to remove it. Eventually got it out, swapped sim positions to try to problem solve - now I can't get the unit to detect either sim in slot B. They both still work in slot A. Is this "normal" for this unit? Any ideas on mods to get the sim detected?

timh767
just joined
Topic Author

Re: SXTR/Quectel + Telstra and Optus (Australia)

Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:12 am

As often happens I seem to have this sorted not long after asking for help.

Testra sim is working now no idea why. I had a telstra APN in there that I deleted but I doubt it was that. Perhaps the sim wasn't fully operational yet.

Re sim slot B not detecting the cards.... I reckon the outdoor rated lan cable I was using was hitting the sim when I plugged it in and popping it out enough that it didn't work. I swapped it for a standard thinner lan cable and it seems to be fine now. Might have to get the sander into the side of the plug for the outdoor cable and grind it down a bit.

Have to say that's not great design putting the sim card slot so close to the lan cable. Also the hatch to access the lan cables could have been a bit bigger....

RogerWilco

Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:09 pm

Have to say that's not great design putting the sim card slot so close to the lan cable. Also the hatch to access the lan cables could have been a bit bigger....
Try fitting two outdoor rated cables. The whole SXT design from cable entry to opening isn’t the best.

UpRunTech
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:06 am

Problem 1. I can't get the Telstra sim to activate on anything other than 3G. If I disable 3G with LTE enabled it won't connect. Cell scan in the Mikrotik picks up B28, B1, B3, B7. Can anyone help me with settings to get the Telstra sim to work? It connects to LTE in my Samsung S20 so I assume the sim is properly enabled by Telstra.
I had an LHG dish with an EP06 it too for a while. I noticed that it couldn't do 4G without 3G enabled with Telstra and at the site I wanted to use it it could connect on B28 sitting in the loungeroom but when it went on the roof on a mast it never shifted off 3G. ?!?!!!!! I was using ROS6 and the normal USB-Ethernet mode. I ended up selling it with ROS7 and MBIM mode enabled which worked as well but I never tried it on site in MBIM mode. The site ended up getting fixed wireless NBN which proved much more stable and faster.