Community discussions

MikroTik App

jbird
Topic Author

Unable to update firmware on R11e-LTE-US modem

Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:55 pm

I saw that there is a firmware update available for my R11e-LTE-US modem. However, when I try to update the firmware on the modem, the cellular connection drops and it will not reconnect until I disable and re-enable the modem. The firmware update instructions say that updating over-the-air is the only way to update the firmware on this modem. How can I keep the connection from dropping while downloading the update? Or, is there another way to download and install the update? I am running RouterOS 7.1.5.

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Unable to update firmware on R11e-LTE-US modem

Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:28 pm

When you run the command on terminal:
/interface/lte/firmware-upgrade lte1 upgrade=yes
The modem will download the firmware and upon installing the lte will drop and that is normal... You should not do anything until the terminal informs you that the installation is done...
If for some reason it won't install it will indicate that it has failed...
After that the modem will automatically initialize again and get to Running status...

So, if you followed the above steps and you get a fail, let us know...

Also check here https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... areupgrade

jbird
Topic Author

Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:20 am

I tried it again and ran: /interface/lte/firmware-upgrade lte1 upgrade=yes
I waited about 10 minutes and got status: failed.

As soon as it started downloading, the LTE interface unregistered. I looked at the Traffic tab and saw that there was no TX/RX traffic at all. It looks like the upgrade is failing because the LTE connection drops. It loses the connection to the Internet, so it cannot download the update, and it eventually fails. After failing, the LTE interface regained connectivity and it is still on the old firmware version.

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:14 pm

Upon firmware upgrade procedure the LTE will show as not Running... If i remember right that is at the installing phase...
That is normal...

I would suggest you reset the device to defaults, uninstall any extra packages ( if added ) and retry to update the modem...

eniehaus
just joined

Sun May 08, 2022 2:29 am

I am following post Unable to update firmware on R11e-LTE-US modem, but none of the suggestions are working not via the LTE modem itself or eth1 with internet conncetion.
Somewhere it did say Mikrotik can provide a file R11e-LTE-FW-Upgrade.zip which will work via an usb to PCIe interface but you will need to contact Mikrotik support to obtain this.
How can I obtain R11e-LTE-FW-Upgrade.zip from Mikrotik ?

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun May 08, 2022 11:21 am

I guess you could contact the support https://mikrotik.com/support