Community discussions

MikroTik App

resca
Topic Author

vpn devices don't see local dns

Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:27 pm

On my MikroTik router, I enabled VPN from the quick config page and I can access my home network from my Android phone or even form a remote Linux box. On the router, I also enabled a static DNS that resolves the local names (xxx.lan style), it works for local devices and it falls back to the provider's dns for remote hosts.

From the VPN, the .lan (local) names are not recognized: I can use only numeric addresses. A quick investigation, reveals that my remote devices, connected through VPN, see a wrong DNS or, in other words, the dns they have assigned is not the MikroTik router itself but the provider's DNS.

I guess I am missing something in VPN configuration, but I cannot figure what!

Any help? I attach my configuration file.

Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

resca
Topic Author

Re: vpn devices don't see local dns

Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:59 pm

Thanks everybody for the great help.
Useful forum.!

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:15 pm

I dont use quickset for VPN, I use wireguard.

Please redo your config, the verbose download you did was a tad over the top to read.
Also simply download the config open up in notepad++ then copy and paste here and use the code block above for the script ( square black block with white square brackets -- to the right of Bold Underline etc.)

/export hide-sensitive file=anynameyouwish

Century
just joined

Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:34 pm

Hi,

did you set up a rule for DNS queries from VPN LAN ?

I put that rule at RAW Section
Like: Prerouting Src Address -> Dst. Address Protokoll udp -> port 53 action accept

Cheers
Tom

robertjackson834
just joined

Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:13 pm

Hi,

Like: Prerouting Src Address -> Dst. Address Protokoll udp -> port 53 action accept

Cheers
Tom
Please tell me ,I can't setup vpn through dns and from where i can get ip address of all servers

Century
just joined

Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:31 am

Hi,

Cheers
Tom
Please tell me ,I can't setup vpn through dns and from where i can get ip address of all servers
? so you basically don´t know how to set up VPN on Mikrotik. Better the Topic of your post should be called "Help how to setup VPN ? "

Please use the search function in WIki of Mikrotik there is an Tutorial how to do that. Also on Youtube, a short search result: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQokeBcrjdc&t=3039s

Cheers
Tom