Community discussions

MikroTik App

caitken
just joined
Topic Author

Setting port to get Public Ip

Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:56 pm

Hi,

I'm on the newer side of networking, but I have a friend who shares his internet via a Ubiquiti product and currently we have a switch after his modem then his router. His router needs to get replaced and I've been using Mikrotik for a few years and love them. Is there a way to connect his Modem to the Mikrotik and then have one port specifically pass through a public IP(DHCP) while the router has a different public IP and still acts as a router on the rest of the ports. If that is a possibility could someone let me know what kind of process this is so I can research how to make this work. I am just not sure how to describe this well enough to search it myself.

Thank you,

Chris

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Setting port to get Public Ip

Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:59 pm

Well a better explanation and a network diagram sure do help clear things up.
For example are you talking about a block of IPs from a single ISP that come through the MODEM to the router.
OR
Are you talking about two different ISPs coming through the router.

In any case, yes its very doable in MT to pass a public IP to a device behind the router..........its very common for instance to pass public IPs directly to a Server, so its not a leap to do the same and pass that public IP to another Router.