Community discussions

MikroTik App

sirsrsml
just joined
Topic Author

Local DNS without FQDN

Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:21 am

Hello Everyone,

I want to ask about local DNS settings in mikrotik, I want to redirect domain "install" to some local IP address, says 192.168.0.5, but when I add it to DNS setting, local network does not recognize this setting, I don't have problem if I change "install" to FQDN, says "install.local", but I need domain/hostname "install" to be recognized as local, because when I use "install.local" or "192.168.0.5" the software I use forced the security restriction because "install.local" or "192.168.0.5" is considered internet, and not intranet

I do not have option to change machine name at "192.168.0.5" to "install",

So my question is, how to redirect domain "install" to 192.168.0.5

[EDIT]
I can do this by adding DNS directly on client machine by add line in etc/host file, but that is not option because we have more than 300 client computer
Last edited by sirsrsml on Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

smyers119
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Local DNS without FQDN

Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:26 am

Is this from a windows pc?

sirsrsml
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:48 am

The software is ClickOnce, this is a deployment technology that enables you to create self-updating Windows-based applications that can be installed and run with minimal user interaction.

Applications that are deployed using ClickOnce technology are restricted to a set of permissions and actions that are defined by the security zone.

smyers119
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:34 pm

The software is ClickOnce, this is a deployment technology that enables you to create self-updating Windows-based applications that can be installed and run with minimal user interaction.

Applications that are deployed using ClickOnce technology are restricted to a set of permissions and actions that are defined by the security zone.
So the way windows determines the domain fqdn is trhrough dhcp-server. On mikcrotik dhcp-server fill in domain to local. then when you type install it will automatically assume your looking for install.local.

or at the local layer you can just edit /etc/hosts.