Community discussions

MikroTik App

dan_99503
Topic Author

LTE router recommendation

Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:32 pm

Hello,

I already have a couple of CRS326's that I use to run the network. I need to add a cel uplink for redundancy. I would like to connect it via Ethernet and have it act as a second Internet connection. I will connect it AT&T in Alaska.

I need a recommendation on a Mikrotik hardware router to fit me needs so I can get a sim and pop it in.

Thanks,

- Dan

rfc1149
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: LTE router recommendation

Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:32 pm

This depends entirely on your location and link preference.
If you are far away from a tower, you'd go for a last mile setup like SXT, LHG, LHGG.
If you have very good or adequate reception and don't care for placement of the device, then wAP, LtAP, hAP ac³, Audience and Chateau are better choices,
and most of them support external antenna setup modification so you can take the link a step further for reliability with roof mounted directional antennas or dishes.
MikroTik's mANT LTE 5o antenna for MIMO is also highly recommended and very cheap for what it provides!

Each of those devices have different specs for various types of use. I'd personally go for the lowest end one you need and stick with it.
My view is that all I need is the 4G link so for an LTE Category 6 card, I'd require at least Gigabit connectivity to get full throughput, hence LtAP LTE6 kit is my choice.
It works like a dream. I've setup a few as well for customers and they've never had any issues during failover or any issues in general.
It is more expensive than just getting the LTE6 card and filling up a spare miniPCI-e slot so consider everything! :D

dan_99503
Topic Author

Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:29 pm

Thanks for the detailed response. I have good reception inside so signal strength is no issue.. I just ordered a WAP LTE..

Thanks for your advice,

- Dan

rfc1149
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:05 pm

Thanks for the detailed response. I have good reception inside so signal strength is no issue.. I just ordered a WAP LTE..

Thanks for your advice,

Happy to help! I hope it works out well for you. In case you end up with bad reception, order:
2 x ACSMAUFL
2 x SMASMA; and
1 x LTE antenna of your choice
I highly recommend MikroTik MTAO-LTE-5D-SQ.
It's an omni-directional antenna specific for 4G frequencies with 5dBi gain.

There are pre-cut holes in the wAP that you need to gently press out to attach the connectors to the case and the rubber gaskets on the ACSMAUFL's seal the port tightly. All you need to do is disassemble the housing, disconnect the internal LTE antenna connectors (and tape them somewhere securely so they don't short the board) and finally connect the ACSMAUFL's, then connect your SMASMA's externally to the LTE antenna and you've got a very good signal improvement when your antenna is properly placed.

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:43 pm

I would suggest an LTE6 modem device for better performance results ...

krafg
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:53 pm

On my signature you can find an example of implementation of LtAP.

Regards.