Community discussions

MikroTik App

mike19
just joined
Topic Author

Best HW choice

Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:09 pm

I have to decide what hardware to take for the attached configuration. I would like the maximum possible speed on the backbones but with the current models it seems to me that the only solution is 10G.
Redundancy is not 100% required. Also it is necessary to understand if CCR2004-Pcie is compatible with Vmware otherwise I will use a different card. suggestions?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

eduplant
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Best HW choice

Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:04 pm

I would like the maximum possible speed on the backbones but with the current models it seems to me that the only solution is 10G.

Mikrotik has a somewhat odd collection of interface speeds on their current product lineup once you get past 10GBE. That's probably going to be the common denominator until Mikrotik pads out more of the 40/100GBE parts of their portfolio.

Beyond that it's a little difficult to say just from a diagram what the correct hardware choices are here. Is this a mostly layer 2 access network for which the two core devices are acting as routers?

mike19
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:41 pm

Exactly. Then there is a Sonicwall for gateway and security appliace.

eduplant
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:04 pm

Gotcha. Do you have a sense of what type of oversubscription is permissible? Are these gigabit connections at the edge for client connectivity or are they for servers in those racks?

Also what are your requirements for redundancy? It looks like you are trying to have two of everything but in some cases there are three switches relying on two of them. Also, the topologies of some of the cabling involve loops and even rings. If this is a mostly layer-2 design, this may be undesirable.

Some concept of what your desired logical topology is here would really help, too.

mike19
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:40 am

the connections between the various rack are already present and must not be changed (number of fibers). The switches will be connected to PCs and the servers directly to the core switches. There are various VLANs but basically each switch serves a distinct room (classroom). Redundancy is not needed if this allows me faster backbones.

eduplant
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:42 am

the connections between the various rack are already present and must not be changed (number of fibers). The switches will be connected to PCs and the servers directly to the core switches. There are various VLANs but basically each switch serves a distinct room (classroom). Redundancy is not needed if this allows me faster backbones.
Ah I see. If the inter-rack connections are fixed then there's not much remaining flexibility.

My main thought is that the CCR2216-1G-12XS-2XQ is an expensive and rather strange device that seems a little ahead of the curve. There are only a couple of Mikrotik devices that actually support 25GbE and notably that does not include the CRS354 or CRS328. If this is going to be a 10GBE-only design and you only need L2 and L3 capabilities that can be offloaded, the CRS326-24S+2Q+RM seems like more than enough to handle the role.

The thing I'm most concerned about is how you're going to actually use most of this bandwidth in a layer-2 environment. Unless you're going to be on the bleeding edge and using the MLAG support in v7.x.x, a lot of the links in this diagram are simply going to have to block. Assuming that the 2x100GbE LAG in the original diagram is going to be the preferred path closest to the root bridge, then either half of the 10GBE links to the racks are going to have to block or all of the 40GbE links within the racks are going to have to block, or maybe some combination of the two depending on the specific situation. Rack A and D will end up in the bizarre situation where 1 40GbE and 1 10GbE has to block.

If you really want a lot of this bandwidth to be useful, I recommend considering a more regularized design where the edge switches connect to a layer-2 aggregation layer or a collapsed layer-2/layer-3 aggregation rather than everything sort of connecting to everything else.

arpiska
just joined

Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:06 am

I didn't want to open a new topic, so I write in this.

Please give advice, I have to choose backbone network devices for a processing plant.

Someone recommended to be separated into physical devices services: Intranet, cameras and production .
This would make maintenance easier, but it would increase the devices.
What are your experiences/opinions with this?

Services:
- Intranet (~50 PC, laptop, printer, phone...)
- cameras (4 NVR, ~100 camera)
- production (~40 PLC, HMI)

What are your opinions about the following devices (10G is enough):
- CRS309-1G-8S+IN switch for separated services
- CRS317-1G-16S+RM switch if CRS309 ports would not be enough

I haven't found a solution for the router yet, I wanted something with min. 4 SFP+ ports (3 for switches, 1 for Internet).
- CCR1036-8G-2S+ unfortunately it has little SFP + port
- CCR2116-12G-4S+ maybe, need to wait for the experiences