Community discussions

MikroTik App

brandwooddixon
just joined
Topic Author

Can't connect to WAP LR8 using IP address

Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:58 pm

I have just purchased a WAP LR8 kit with a view to using it to act as a gateway in a project that I am working on.
I am trying to follow the instructions to configure it.
If I connect it to my local ethernet network it is assigned an address e.g. 192.168.xxx.114.
It get responses to "ping" commands to that address. The instructions mention 192.168.88.1, but that IP address does not exist on the network.
I am unable to connect to it using either my browser or the WinBox software from my Win10 laptop.
I have tried connecting after disabling all of my laptop security, including firewall without success.
I have also tried connecting to it with WinBox using the mac address that is reported back by the network server. Again without success.

Can anyone help me to configure it?

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Can't connect to WAP LR8 using IP address  [SOLVED]

Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:08 pm

RouterOS default config firewalls the ethernet port, ethernet port being considered its "WAN".

In order to reach the router, the fastest way is connecting to its wireless part: do a scan, you'll see an open Mikrotik_XXYYZZ SSID (XXZZYY being part of the interface MAC address, you can check that in the WAP sticker). connect to it, then you'll be able to access it from winbox either via IP (you'll get a a 192.168.88.x IP) or L2 via winbox neighbors tab.

Once connected via wireless, you'll be able to access the WAP and reconfig (disable firewall) or reset it.