Community discussions

MikroTik App

pekr
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mikrotik Wireless client - hand-over, "sleepy" repeater? ...

Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:32 pm

Hi,

I have the following setup at my apartment - 2x hAP ac2, connected wirelessly in a repeater mode over the 5GHz. During the home office I have to move to childern's room, for a MS Teams conference, to not be disturbed by other members of the family.

I can observe following behaviour:
  • My notebook keeps connected to the main unit in the living room, with a clearly weaker signal. I have setup my Lenovo notebook Intel card to be more aggresive on roaming, to no avail.
  • When noone is in the children's room for quite some time, it feels like the radio (repeater) is "sleeping". Even if I manually reconnect my notebook to the wifi, there is no internet connection for quite some time. Cca 20-30 secs, sometimes more.

When I look into the Winbox, everything seems to be OK, it just seems like those two mikrotiks are not communicating. Most of the time I am disconnected from the radio several times, and then suddenly, everything starts working.

I can see the following info in the log:
- xx@wlan4: disconnected, received deauth: unspecified (1), signal strength -53
- xx attempts to associate
- xx in local ACL, accept

The above happens several times. Wi-fi signal indicator on my notebook shows a full scale. Both units use the latest 6.49.5 version.

Any idea?

Thanks and best regards,
/Petr

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Mikrotik Wireless client - hand-over, "sleepy" repeater? ...

Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:32 pm

There's interaction between bridge and wireless interface if both are configured according to defaults:
  • bridge with protocol-mode set to anything but none
  • wireless interface set to disable-running-check=no

What happens is this: when no clients are connected to AP, the wireless interface will become inactive (bridge port shiws flag "I"). If later some client connects to this AP, wireless interface toggles to active. At this moment bridge starts to perform xSTP procedure of loop detection and duration depends on exact xSTP mode configured. During that time, bridge port is blocking traffic. It's exactly the same thing happening when ether port becomes active.
If the xSTP procedure takes longer than client is willing to wait for communication to resume, then client might just disconnect and try again. If client reconnects before bridge port becomes inactive (and after xSTP procedure completes), then client is able to resume communications and everybody is happy.

The solution: set wireless interface to disable-running-check=yes, the interface will be always running and thus never inactive as bridge port.

A separate issue is roaming aggresiveness. It's mostky up to clients to switch to another AP. You can force that to happen if you set up some access-list rules which force disconnect if client signal drops below certain threshold. But it's not trivial to find exact values so that device disconnects at the location where forced disconnect doesn't interfere with intended use.

pekr
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: Mikrotik Wireless client - hand-over, "sleepy" repeater? ...

Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:41 am

Thanks for the perfect answer. It actually makes sense. So yes, my bridge has a protocol mode set to RSTP. I have set disable-running-check=yes parameter on both wlan1 and wlan2 (repeater) interface in children's room, so we will see, how it goes :-)