MikroTik App

Larsa
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

How to install Winbox on macOS

Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:56 am

How to install Winbox on macOS

1. Follow the Mikrotik install instructions: Run Winbox on macOS. Optional, you may install Wine64 using brew: "$ brew --cask install wine-stable" or any macOS package manager. Make sure you get the 64 bit version ie "win64".

2. Create a start icon using the "Script Editor" with the Apple-script code below and save it as type Application to "/Applications/Winbox".
on run
	do shell script "/usr/local/bin/wine64 /Applications/Winbox.app/Contents/MacOS/winbox64.exe"
end run 

3. Download and copy the 64 bit version of Winbox (winbox64.exe) to "/Applications/Winbox.app/Contents/MacOS"

4 Start "System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> Privacy -> Developer Tools" and add /Applications/Winbox
Screenshot 2022-04-11 at 19.59.55.png
5. Optional if you want to customize the application icon follow these instructions on stackoverflow: Customize Applescript app icon. A Winbox icon is attached in the file "Winbox.icns.zip" below or is available for download from github at the following link: https://github.com/nrlquaker/winbox-mac ... /Icon.icns
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Larsa on Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:57 pm, edited 14 times in total.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: How to install Winbox on MacOS

Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:07 am

I find the original documentation better, since not everyone wants to install HomeBrew

Larsa
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Re: How to install Winbox on MacOS

Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:24 am

Well, no! The docs are not complete. First of all It does not consider the security aspects of MacOS, secondly it lacks instructions on how to normally start GUI applications in macOS using application packages and lastly Homebrew is just an option. So my version is much better! ;-)

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: How to install Winbox on macOS

Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:10 am

The documentation describes the principle. If you don't know how to use your own OS, that's not for us to teach you.

Larsa
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:28 am

Hence this article. If you've got any practical considerations you are more than welcome to contribute.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:19 pm

This is what I get when I go to the MT link.................. Super glad there is a MacOS user article available!

C'mon Normis give some credit to Larsa for communicating in a posiitve way with other MT users.
The only reasons for you to come in here and be negative are.
a. personal insecurity
b. the user article is far superior and you hate it when MT looks bad.
c. have the disease "not-in-controlitis"
d. you slapped a comedian who made fun of your wife.
Capture3.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:29 pm

Documentation is under maintenance for a few minutes. Looks like forum article comes in handy after all :)

DarkNate
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:28 pm

The documentation describes the principle. If you don't know how to use your own OS, that's not for us to teach you.
This is some pride/ego talking. But well, it's the usual Normis, rude and corny, and on a broader scale, represents MikroTik's attitude towards users and customer anyways.

9/10 useful tips, guides, and data come from the community, not the Tik docs.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:02 pm

This is some pride/ego talking. But well, it's the usual Normis, rude and corny, and on a broader scale, represents MikroTik's attitude towards users and customer anyways.

9/10 useful tips, guides, and data come from the community, not the Tik docs.
Hi Dark, I think Normis assumes the bulk of MT users are trained IT folks and we just know that aint the fact jack. I dont think its ego, I think its simply an inability to grasp that morons like me actually like to tinker beyond the dumb TP- or D-stink routers.

Where I agree there is some ego, or vanity, is the fact that he is still using that rugged and handsome youthful looking photo which I suspect bares little resemblance to current reality. :-)

manuzoli
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:12 pm

Everything broken again under Ventura.

tangent
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:34 pm

Everything broken again under Ventura.

I found and fixed two such problems:

1. The new System Settings app changes the UI layout, but the setting referred to above is still there, under Privacy & Security → Security. (Scroll down.)

2. The OS installer nuked my ~/.wine directory, causing it to forget my winbox settings. I had to say "open ~/.wine", then go into Time Machine and make it restore everything to "yesterday", at which point everything was back. This may have been because I used the hard (⌘-⌥-R) Recovery Mode to reinstall the OS. (Never mind why.)

It may also be relevant that I did a "brew reinstall --cask wine-stable" as part of this, but I can't prove it.

aurelmarius
just joined

Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:30 pm

Not working on latest macOS Ventura 13.2.1. Crypt32.dll error in wine.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:33 pm

Not working on latest macOS Ventura 13.2.1. Crypt32.dll error in wine.
Probably the fix for CVE-2023-23514 is involved

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:45 pm

I've long use this too. With brew, it's trivial to install:
brew install nrlquaker-winbox
It adds a Winbox-mac.app that comes bundled with wine into a MacOS package. It's not a big fan of MacOS Ventura's "stage manager" feature about the only thing I've notice — even that still works, just doesn't remember its "stage" well.

And Homebrew, isn't that difficult to install, it's one line*: see https://brew.sh
* perhaps a couple more to get Apple's POSIX ("Linux") tools you'd likely want anyway

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:16 pm

Do not download unknown Winbox installers from github or elsewhere.
macOS ventura and newer will run winbox64.exe with simple official wine64 installer:

STEP 1: install this: https://github.com/Gcenx/macOS_Wine_bui ... x64.tar.xz
STEP 2: open winbox64.exe with wine64

That's it. No need to risk installing pre-packaged apps by unknown people