Forum Guru

Re: v7.3beta [testing] is released!

Fri May 20, 2022 5:55 pm

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 20, 2022 8:26 pm

Radius accounting is not related to the "/ip accounting" feature that was discussed in the above post (and neither to Netflow that is an alternative to "/ip accounting").

It would likely be possible to use Netflow instead of that radius accounting, but it would require extra work. The user is probably looking for a solution that fits into their existing system for IPv4.

anserk
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat May 21, 2022 5:12 pm

So, I'm trying to use Cake on my WAN interface but fail:
I'm running 7.2.3 and get the same error when trying to use cake on virtual interfaces. But it works for physical ones, for example, my WAN interface is ether1. I haven't tested if it actually functions properly, but RouterOS let's me assign the queue.

jbl42
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun May 22, 2022 7:04 pm

But it works for physical ones, for example, my WAN interface is ether1. I haven't tested if it actually functions properly, but RouterOS let's me assign the queue.
In my tests it never was possible to attach cake as interface queues on virtual interfaces.
But what works, at least for me up to ROS 7.2.3 on RB5009/4011, is creating a simple queue targeting a virtual interface and using cake queue types.
This seems not te be possible anymore starting with latest beta.

One could think about using a cake queue on the physical interface used fot the pppoe traffic.
But cake will hardly work on pppoe encapsulated traffic.
Also setups with parallel uplinks on different VLANs sharing the same physical WAN interface will not be able to apply different cake queues to different uplinks.

Is is also important to note that interface queues affect egress traffic only.

As I understand it, with the current change, cake can only be used if WAN uplink is running unencapsulated (no pppoe, ipsec, etc) on an exclusive physical interface carring no other traffic than WAN.

buset1974
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue May 24, 2022 5:31 am

when will BGP PE-CE will be solved in v7?
Please check my tickets SUP-79812 and reply it

osc86
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue May 24, 2022 2:46 pm

Import of public key files is broken in beta40 (rsa).
I tried with an older known-working one, and a newly generated one.
Tested on arm64 (CCR2116).
/user/ssh-keys> import public-key-file=UNIMUS.pub  user=unimus
error - contact MikroTik support and send a supout file (2)
Edit:
Seems the whole ssh stuff is messed up, I just got the router, only updated from 7.2.3., updated to latest beta and imported the config manually using /import verbose=yes.
/ip/ssh> regenerate-host-key 
This will regenerate current SSH host keys, yes? [y/N]: 
y
error - contact MikroTik support and send a supout file (2)
#error exporting /ip/ssh

Edit2:
fixed it by disabling ssh service, downgrading to stable, regenerating ssh key and updating again to latest beta.

Trunkz
just joined

Wed May 25, 2022 12:17 pm

Has there been any communication regarding CAKE from the devs; apart from the one-liner in the changelog?

LdB
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed May 25, 2022 12:49 pm

Not sure if anyone has mentioned but /31 link networks are dead in 7.3 beta37
They won't function as nexthop on static routes.

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed May 25, 2022 12:50 pm

/31 was never officially supported, use /32 instead.

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed May 25, 2022 2:39 pm

/31 was never officially supported, use /32 instead.
Will it be? Come to think about it, is /127 supported? Will it be?

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed May 25, 2022 2:43 pm

/31 - no
/127 - is supported and works

buvarbeno
just joined

Wed May 25, 2022 2:55 pm

Has there been any communication regarding CAKE from the devs; apart from the one-liner in the changelog?
Sound of silence.
Only Normis wrote that CAKE is only interface queue.
Last edited by buvarbeno on Wed May 25, 2022 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ixel
just joined

Wed May 25, 2022 3:00 pm

Absolutely nothing from Mikrotik that I can see besides that nonsensical one liner in the changelog. Comments from the community so far haven't had an official response yet, unfortunately.

loloski
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed May 25, 2022 3:17 pm

/31 - no
/127 - is supported and works
hi mrz, thanks for a direct answer out of curiosity why not support /31? other gear supported this well except for MT, care to shed some light/rationale of not implementing this?

fragtion
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed May 25, 2022 3:36 pm

Cake works fine on simple queues if both Target and DST is set in the queue. It's only unstable when DST is not defined. This information is readily available right here on the MikroTik forum.
Last edited by fragtion on Thu May 26, 2022 6:41 am, edited 4 times in total.

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed May 25, 2022 3:40 pm

In 99% of the cases /32 can be used instead of /31. Even in setups where remote end has /31, but MT side has configured ptp /32.

parham
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed May 25, 2022 6:09 pm

Hi Dev,

can yo please add src.add for Netwatch and address for route ping check like below or even just cli please

/tool netwatch add host=a.b.c.d src.address=x.x.x.x

/ip route add check-gateway=ping address=x.x.x.x

Thanks
Parham

brotherdust
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed May 25, 2022 7:59 pm

Absolutely nothing from Mikrotik that I can see besides that nonsensical one liner in the changelog. Comments from the community so far haven't had an official response yet, unfortunately.
I opened a ticket with them about this last week. Their response is just as nonsensical:
MikroTik did not develop CAKE, we are using the implementation from Linux. Here you can see Toke Høiland-Jørgensen explain that "you cannot use the cake shaper when running in under HFSC" https://lists.bufferbloat.net/pipermail ... 04765.html

As a workaround, you can use HTB + FQ_Codel.

Best regards,
Say what now? It works fine in simple queues. I immediately emailed one of the authors of CAKE and asked him to weigh in on one of the existing threads. Hopefully he can disabuse Mikrotik of some of their foolish notions.

The main problem I've been having with CAKE is that, in RouterOS, you can't set it as an interface queue without setting a limitation. The error says something like "it would have no effect", which doesn't seem right to me. Why would Linux allow you to do this, why would CAKE best practices recommend it?

Who knows.

Larsa
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 25, 2022 9:30 pm

It's worth noticing that it's not possible to combine or benefit from queues that contain different "shapers" with each other. A "shaper" is just a packet scheduler that delays packets to reach a desired speed thus there is no point in stacking two "shapers" on top of each other, quite the opposite.

However, I believe that a simple queue does't contain a "shaper" so it should be fine to use with Cake. Thus the reference to HFSC is not really applicable in the case of simple queues.

Bottom line, since Cake utilize its own package scheduler, you won't be able to take advantage of other MT queues that also use a shaper. Unfortunately since the queue types are not documented with reference to the Linux variants, it's difficult to tell which ones that contain a shaper or not.

mhugo
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed May 25, 2022 10:48 pm

In 99% of the cases /32 can be used instead of /31. Even in setups where remote end has /31, but MT side has configured ptp /32.
Doesent work in l3hw logic in 317s and it makes my ospf table messy with 100+ more entries. Packet source also doesent work with /32.

Seems like a hygeiene factor to just fix so it works even its solved in code with 2 /32s and a little logic to prevent me from making late night mistake and using /32 from another /31.

nithinkumar2000
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu May 26, 2022 9:40 am

We do need this, but it is not a bug - it is instead a feature that they have not implemented yet. It is an important feature, but I can understand why they are prioritizing it below fixing things that were working in ROS 6.
We Need PPP Radius Accounting for IPv6 PD to create IPDR Data in Radius Software. Without This feature our system is totally not compliant to govt regulations and ISP's are unable to implement IPv6 to their Customers.

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Fri May 27, 2022 6:18 am

Although this is technically true, the reality is that the service provider space in North America tends to view any vendors who don't support /31 as out of date, and not a serious solution. So, MikroTik is often thrown into the second tier, only due to a lack of /31 support.
Last edited by mducharme on Fri May 27, 2022 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

curtdept
just joined

Fri May 27, 2022 7:26 am

So, I'm trying to use Cake on my WAN interface but fail:
 > queue/interface/set pppoe-out1 queue=cake-512k 
failure: non rate limit queues are useless on this interface
What's the right way to do that?
It would only let me use it on a PHY. Not soft interfaces, not even LTE (back when my LTE still worked that is, dig)

swa69er
just joined

Fri May 27, 2022 7:50 am

Screenshot (109).png

Brand new RB5009UGS on v7.3beta40 suddenly, ohhhh!
running hotspot, queue, ovpn, seems normal

WAN eth is barely any packet around 1Mbps
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

buvarbeno
just joined

Fri May 27, 2022 9:01 am

I opened a ticket with them about this last week. Their response is just as nonsensical:
MikroTik did not develop CAKE, we are using the implementation from Linux. Here you can see Toke Høiland-Jørgensen explain that "you cannot use the cake shaper when running in under HFSC" https://lists.bufferbloat.net/pipermail ... 04765.html

As a workaround, you can use HTB + FQ_Codel.

Best regards,
Say what now? It works fine in simple queues. I immediately emailed one of the authors of CAKE and asked him to weigh in on one of the existing threads. Hopefully he can disabuse Mikrotik of some of their foolish notions.

The main problem I've been having with CAKE is that, in RouterOS, you can't set it as an interface queue without setting a limitation. The error says something like "it would have no effect", which doesn't seem right to me. Why would Linux allow you to do this, why would CAKE best practices recommend it?

Who knows.
I dont want use or play with HTB. Setting up CAKE is/was simple and efficient. I want to use it not only on ethernet interface, on LTE and on PPP/VPN interfaces too. The only cause not to throw away Mikrotik at home (on wireless I swtiched to cheap router/openWRT combo) the hope of working CAKE, but it seems I have to switch to OpenWRT in routing too.

bruins0437

Fri May 27, 2022 7:59 pm

Am I missing something? I see reference to a new version, but no change log.

Jotne
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 27, 2022 8:39 pm

What do you see that I do not see?
I see only v34, v37 and v40

winap
just joined

Fri May 27, 2022 9:03 pm

I thing he mean v37, because is on top.

bruins0437

Fri May 27, 2022 9:10 pm

I don’t see changelog for v40

Larsa
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 27, 2022 9:12 pm

"Testing release tree" https://mikrotik.com/download/changelog ... lease-tree

dtaht
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat May 28, 2022 6:56 am

Cake was *designed* to run the same at line rate, with an external shaper, and/or with its own shaper. In the case where it is used as a htb or hfsc leaf qdisc, you have to run it in bandwidth unlimited mode (which is the default). Disallowing or ignoring usage of the "bandwidth" keyword should suffice when used as a leaf. We've communicated this info to mikrotik. I'd also kept saying the bandwidth param should be optional over here: viewtopic.php?t=179307 - I don't know what the fuss is about!
Last edited by dtaht on Sat May 28, 2022 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

dtaht
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat May 28, 2022 7:02 am

PS I'd really like some benchmarks substitutng fq_codel or cake for the default fifo "interface" queue, as well as the sfq based wireless queue, *without a packet limit*. The default mikrotik packet limit of 50 seems far, far too low for modern bandwidths > 100Mbit. Single stream benchmarks would be interesting, as well as flents rrul test. fq_codel is now the default on all interfaces in most linuxes, ios, osx. openwrt, dd-wrt, etc, and I haven't had to think about packet limits in years.

dtaht
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat May 28, 2022 7:07 am

It's worth noticing that it's not possible to combine or benefit from queues that contain different "shapers" with each other. A "shaper" is just a packet scheduler that delays packets to reach a desired speed thus there is no point in stacking two "shapers" on top of each other, quite the opposite.

However, I believe that a simple queue does't contain a "shaper" so it should be fine to use with Cake. Thus the reference to HFSC is not really applicable in the case of simple queues.

Bottom line, since Cake utilize its own package scheduler, you won't be able to take advantage of other MT queues that also use a shaper. Unfortunately since the queue types are not documented with reference to the Linux variants, it's difficult to tell which ones that contain a shaper or not.
I note I am not really active in the mikrotik world an would like to keep accumulating cake results here: viewtopic.php?t=179307

Jotne
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat May 28, 2022 8:41 am

Change log for v40 is in this thread:
viewtopic.php?p=932950#p932950

But change log for .33 mention in the thread is missing. (you can see it over here: https://mikrotik.com/download/changelog ... lease-tree)

Edit
Alfer closer inspection, I can see that the first post in this thread that show v37 was has been changed.
It was original posted 13.04.22 13:12 cet with 7.3beta33 (and its change log). So why is that post edited and replaced with 7.3beta37????

This makes the posts following the first post wrong, since there people at talking about changes that was introduced in 7.3beta33 and not the current information 7.3beta37. So this should be reverted back to 7.3beta33

7.3beta37 is correctly found here viewtopic.php?p=929195#p929195
So why remove beta33 information from the #1 post?

Larsa
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat May 28, 2022 10:21 am

Cake was *designed* to run the same at line rate, with an external shaper, and/or with its own shaper. In the case where it is used as a htb or hfsc leaf qdisc, you have to run it in bandwidth unlimited mode (which is the default). Disallowing or ignoring usage of the "bandwidth" keyword should suffice when used as a leaf. We've communicated this info to mikrotik. I'd also kept saying the bandwidth param should be optional over here: viewtopic.php?t=179307 - I don't know what the fuss is about!

David, thank you so much! I think it is appreciated by all that you get involved and sort out any question marks. I suspect a part of the problem is that the documentation needs to be clarified regarding this.

ixel
just joined

Sat May 28, 2022 4:05 pm

Maybe I'm missing something here with what Mikrotik is doing with CAKE in this build. How is one supposed to configure the upload and download separately on an interface?

I'm using pppoe and don't see a way to do it. I'm new to Mikrotik and have been using edgerouter and openwrt in the past and can configure cake from command line way easier than what is going on with routeros.

If I could access a regular linux cli to configure cake it would be helpful, but that doesn't seems possible.
From what I understand, interface queues only work on the egress (upload). If that's not enough of a disappointment from MikroTik's currently erroneous reasoning and the unanswered questions regarding their recent decision to make CAKE virtually useless on RouterOS, you can only apply CAKE queue to a PHY interface (e.g. eth0, eth1, eth2, eth3) and not an interface such as PPP.

Zoxc
just joined

Sat May 28, 2022 4:19 pm

CAKE seems to interact and work exactly as expected with HTB (simple queues and queue trees) when used as a leaf qdisc with its shaper enabled. If you're trying to create a "proper" HTB setup you'd use CAKE without its shaper enabled, but that doesn't mean other configuration are non-sensical or "doesn't work". You could use queue trees and packet marks to select between different CAKE queues with their shapers enabled for example. This would not be possible if CAKE's bandwidth option would be unavailable for leafs.

mikegleasonjr
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun May 29, 2022 4:09 pm

@dtaht Since we have you here, I opened a long time ago, a bug regarding the impossibility of specifying the Cake direction (ingress/egress) when configuring a Cake queue. (Which defaults to egress).

So all Cake queues were egress, even when the traffic was for ingress.

Does it affect a lot the internal algorithm when this parameter is wrong? My egress traffic was perfect with minimal loss of bandwidth, but I had more trouble with my ingress traffic (I suspect it is because the Cake was configured as egress on am ingress queue).

Thanks !

EDIT: see screenshot here viewtopic.php?p=878190#p878190

Jotne
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun May 29, 2022 7:38 pm

Maybe a moderator should make a own Cake thread and move all Cake post over there.

dave864
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon May 30, 2022 10:50 am

I've tried out Cake on an interface that is asymmetrical and it appears to work fine. 500Mbs down and 87Mbs upload. Cake was set to 85Mbs and appears to provide the expected maximum download while having near maximum upload with low latency.
Surely, download is shaped and controlled by the ISP and upload by the client?
What am I not understanding here with everyone wanting Cake on Simple Queue?

jbl42
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon May 30, 2022 11:15 am

Surely, download is shaped and controlled by the ISP and upload by the client?
What am I not understanding here with everyone wanting Cake on Simple Queue?
See here for an example were the DL/UL is shaped by the ISP to 500/100
viewtopic.php?p=935980#p935980

The cake simple queue allows to shape DL locally at a rate a little bit lower than the ISP shaper. This way cake handle shaping and queuing, as the ISP shaper never reaches it's limit.
How much the difference is depends on the quality of the ISP shaper. In my case, if the ISP DL shaper reaches the bw limit and starts to throttle traffic, it introduces >100ms bufferbloat.
Compared to ~10ms if DL is shaped by local cake queue a little bit below the ISP bw limit.

buvarbeno
just joined

Mon May 30, 2022 12:10 pm

I tried CAKE as interface queue, after 1 day there was no connection between Cable modem and Mikrotik, till I set back to hw queue and disable and reenable interface, so not the solution to use CAKE only on hw queue. Mikrotik has to investigate the problem, and I hope they not completely remove CAKE as next step :D

ivicask

Mon May 30, 2022 12:53 pm

I just noticed weird bug on beta 40 with wireguard and interface list.
I have last firewall input drop rule with !ALL_LAN.
Wireguard interface is added into ALL_LAN list, but still rule drops wireguard traffic until i quickly enabled/disable this rule, then it works until next client reconnection.

Very same thing works just fine on beta 38 or previous versions.

buset1974
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue May 31, 2022 3:01 am

What's new in 7.3beta40 (2022-May-11 12:18):

it''s been 2 weeks after last release, waiting for the next release.

mafiosa
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue May 31, 2022 8:23 am

it''s been 2 weeks after last release, waiting for the next release.
It could be today or this week itself.

Jotne
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 31, 2022 8:49 am

It could be today or this week itself.
Or not.

Why speculate. It comes when it comes.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 31, 2022 8:57 am

Agree.
Let them work and solve the issues instead of rushing out new versions with new bugs.

jimmer
just joined

Tue May 31, 2022 11:51 am

Agree.
Let them work and solve the issues instead of rushing out new versions with new bugs.
Agreed, I think they are looking to hold off given how poorly the 7.2.x branch has gone thus far, There is also no official Long Term release yet for 7.x, that said 7.1.5 is sitting in the 7.x Long Term branch at the moment which is probably the best option thus far.

emils
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Tue May 31, 2022 6:56 pm

What's new in 7.3rc1 (2022-May-27 11:50):

*) bgp - moved "interface bgp-vpls" menu to "routing bgp vpls";
*) bgp - remove unused commands and parameters;
*) bluetooth - improved long-term service stability;
*) bridge - fixed TCP, UDP port parsing for loop detect warning;
*) capsman - fixed bridge disabling when using L2 connection;
*) ccr - improved interface link stability on CCR2004-16G-2S+PC;
*) chr - fixed Cloud DDNS update after license renewal;
*) console - fixed "terminal inkey" command;
*) crs1xx/2xx - improved system stability during switch reset;
*) defconf - do not add passthrough ports to local bridge on CCR2004-1G-2XS-PCIe;
*) ipv6 - fixed dynamic non link-local addresses displaying;
*) l2tp - added VRF support for L2TP client;
*) l3hw - greatly improved route offloading speed;
*) l3hw - log HW routes count and the shortest offloaded subnet prefix if the HW memory gets full;
*) l3hw - offload only main routing table;
*) l3hw - partial routing table offload for Marvell Prestera DX4000/DX8000 switch chip series;
*) lhgg - improved system stability (introduced in v7.2);
*) lte - improved LTE interface initialization process on LtAP-2HnD;
*) mpls - made LDP bindings work on PPP interfaces;
*) ospf - ignore instance route when originate-default=if-installed is enabled;
*) ovpn - fixed server instance not responding to incoming connections after reboot on CHR;
*) profile - added "wireguard" process classificator;
*) profile - added "zerotier" process classificator;
*) qsfp - reset module only when all ports are disabled;
*) queue - allow to set higher limits than 4G;
*) queue - display warning for CAKE type in simple and tree setups when "bandwidth" parameter is configured;
*) resource - fixed CPU type display under system resources for ARM and ARM64;
*) routerboot - prevent enabling "protected-routerboot" on unsupported factory firmware versions;
*) smb - fixed SMB2 file list reporting;
*) snmp - added VRF support;
*) ssh - fixed private key usage after downgrade;
*) winbox - added "Default Cost" parameter under "Routing/OSPF/Area" menu;
*) winbox - fixed "Type" values under "IP/Route" menu;
*) winbox - fixed minor typo in reboot confirmation prompt;
*) winbox - made wireless access list entries sortable when using the wifiwave2 package;
*) ww2 - general stability and throughput improvements;
*) x86 - added support for Solarflare SFC1920 NIC;
*) x86 - fixed soft-id reading on virtualized x86 installations (introduced in v7.2);

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 31, 2022 8:46 pm

.....it''s been 2 weeks after last release, waiting for the next release.
No complains please ... you should have not open the door to ... :) :)

Larsa
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 31, 2022 8:53 pm

.....it''s been 2 weeks after last release, waiting for the next release.
No complains please ... you should have not open the door to ... :) :)

LOL as the say: be careful what you wish for...

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: v7.3rc [testing] is released!

Tue May 31, 2022 8:54 pm

The BGP programmer is still on sick leave?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue May 31, 2022 8:56 pm

What programmer?

osc86
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue May 31, 2022 9:01 pm

seems we got CAKE back?

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 31, 2022 9:03 pm

What programmer?
The programmer who is working on BGP to bring it to the same functionality as v6 had.
We see only tiny changes in BGP like moving a menu item or removing an option, and not the completion of the work.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue May 31, 2022 9:13 pm

Joke <<==
You ==>

:)

ixel
just joined

Tue May 31, 2022 9:13 pm

seems we got CAKE back?
It looks like it, I haven't tried it yet. At least the way I interpret the changelog it looks like it.

mhugo
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue May 31, 2022 9:43 pm

Joke <<==
You ==>

:)
You need this Normis - https://www.redbubble.com/i/t-shirt/BGP ... 1893.UGYPM

hecatae
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue May 31, 2022 9:44 pm

is ww2 working on the 7.3rc1?

Larsa
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 31, 2022 10:03 pm

Haha, I really must have one myself! :-) Also the perfect gift for my coworkers at the next office party.

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 31, 2022 10:27 pm

Jotne
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 31, 2022 10:45 pm

Please MikroTik, do not rename threads and post RC in its own thread as before. This just makes a messy thread.
RC was always its own thread:
7.2rc7 viewtopic.php?t=184585
6.49rc viewtopic.php?t=178853
6.48rc viewtopic.php?t=170796
etc

So rename this thread back to:

and move RC to its own thread.

Larsa
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 31, 2022 11:15 pm

@IPANetEngineer, if you still have that MT test rig up and running and perhaps some spare time(!), feel free to try out the recently improved l3hw routing in 7.3rc1 that was release today (May 31st, 2022). Thanks in advance!

https://mikrotik.com/download/changelogs/testing-release-tree

Larsa
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 31, 2022 11:41 pm

This is the way! :-)

infabo
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:00 am

!) queue - do not allow using CAKE type in simple and tree setups (already configured queues will be disabled);
Ok. Cake is not allowed for simple queues and tree queues anymore. Will be disabled. Got it.

*) queue - display warning for CAKE type in simple and tree setups when "bandwidth" parameter is configured;
Wait. What? 7.3beta40 says to disable and disallow cake for simple/tree queues. Then 7.3rc1 appears with this changelog line. I dont get it. Shouldnt this combo (cake+simple/tree queue) disallowed since beta40 already? What is it about to show a warning for an impossible queue because disallowed configuration?

Someone may help me to understand the changelog.

Larsa
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:16 am

Like for example, that they changed their minds and enabled Cake for use with queues again in 7.3rc1 after a dialogue with Dave Taht (@dtaht)?

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:16 am

*) queue - allow to set higher limits than 4G;
great news !!!

hecatae
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:13 am

Updated Chateau LTE12 and hap lite.

Chateau advised new modem firmware after updating to the rc, this wasn't mentioned in the changelog...

Any chance of a rundown of what the new eg12-ea firmware does and do I need to upgrade?

killersoft
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:48 am

Where are we at with MACSEC ????

Ovic
just joined

Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:23 am

@hecatae ww2 works on 7.3rc1. but still no go for samsung phones on WPA3 & Android 12

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:34 am

Like for example, that they changed their minds and enabled Cake for use with queues again in 7.3rc1 after a dialogue with Dave Taht (@dtaht)?
Instead of completely not allowing you to accidentally create non-working configuration, you will now see a warning if you do.

buvarbeno
just joined

Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:30 am

Instead of completely not allowing you to accidentally create non-working configuration, you will now see a warning if you do.
Good news, but It will be not accidental and sometimes works :D

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:32 am

It definitely does not work, but I hear placebo is a strong drug

arm920t
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:25 am

I did a test. PC1(iperf client 192.168.1.2.254) ----------->(LAN 192.168.2.1)ROS V7 (WAN 192.168.1.20)----------->PC2 (iperf server 192.168.1.234)
With this configuration
/queue type
add cake-bandwidth=940.0Mbps cake-diffserv=diffserv4 cake-memlimit=95.4MiB cake-nat=yes cake-overhead=22 cake-rtt=\
50ms kind=cake name=CAKE_DOWN
add cake-bandwidth=940.0Mbps cake-diffserv=diffserv4 cake-nat=yes cake-overhead=22 cake-rtt=50ms kind=cake name=\
CAKE_UP

/queue tree
add bucket-size=0.001 name=CAKE_D_T packet-mark=no-mark parent=LAN priority=2 queue=CAKE_DOWN
add bucket-size=0.001 name=CAKE_U_T packet-mark=no-mark parent=WAN priority=1 queue=CAKE_UP

Bandwidth limited by CAKE
Snipaste_2022-06-01_15-10-05.png
With this configuration
/queue tree
# CAKE type with bandwidth setting detected, configure traffic limits within queue itself
add bucket-size=0.001 max-limit=2048M name=CAKE_D_T packet-mark=no-mark parent=LAN priority=2 queue=CAKE_DOWN
# CAKE type with bandwidth setting detected, configure traffic limits within queue itself
add bucket-size=0.001 max-limit=2048M name=CAKE_U_T packet-mark=no-mark parent=WAN priority=1 queue=CAKE_UP
Bandwidth limited by CAKE too
Snipaste_2022-06-01_15-08-20.png
With this configuration
/queue type
add cake-diffserv=diffserv4 cake-memlimit=95.4MiB cake-nat=yes cake-overhead=22 cake-rtt=50ms kind=cake name=\
CAKE_DOWN
add cake-diffserv=diffserv4 cake-nat=yes cake-overhead=22 cake-rtt=50ms kind=cake name=CAKE_UP

/queue tree
add bucket-size=0.001 max-limit=2048M name=CAKE_D_T packet-mark=no-mark parent=LAN priority=2 queue=CAKE_DOWN
add bucket-size=0.001 max-limit=2048M name=CAKE_U_T packet-mark=no-mark parent=WAN priority=1 queue=CAKE_UP

Bandwidth limited by HTB
Snipaste_2022-06-01_15-12-37.png
The configuration does not take effect, why is the bandwidth limited?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

FToms
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:26 am

@hecatae ww2 works on 7.3rc1. but still no go for samsung phones on WPA3 & Android 12
I've not encountered any issues connecting a Samsung phone with Android 12 to a wifiwave2 AP using either only WPA3-PSK or WPA2-PSK/WPA3-PSK transition mode.
Please open a support ticket if you have not already and include a supout file.

jbl42
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:57 am

!) queue - do not allow using CAKE type in simple and tree setups (already configured queues will be disabled);
Ok. Cake is not allowed for simple queues and tree queues anymore. Will be disabled. Got it.

Wait. What? 7.3beta40 says to disable and disallow cake for simple/tree queues. Then 7.3rc1 appears with this changelog line. I dont get it. Shouldnt this combo (cake+simple/tree queue) disallowed since beta40 already? What is it about to show a warning for an impossible queue because disallowed configuration?
If a cake queue type is configured in a simple or tree queue, the bandwidth must not be configured inside the cake queue type, but as limit of the containing simple or tree queue. This makes sense it it was also confirmed by @dtaht that cake was designed to work in such configurations.

Is use the folowwing config in several installations with success for months on pppoe connections shaped by the ISP to 500/100:
/queue type
add name=cake-WAN-tx kind=cake cake-diffserv=diffserv3  cake-flowmode=dual-srchost cake-nat=yes 
add name=cake-WAN-rx kind=cake cake-diffserv=besteffort cake-flowmode=dual-dsthost cake-nat=yes

/queue simple
add max-limit=500M/100M name=queue1 queue=cake-WAN-rx/cake-WAN-tx target=wan-pppoe
It dramatically reduces latency under full load from 150ms to 15ms. Not only in synthetic flent rrul tests. SIP and MS Teams calls work without issues while the ISP pppoe link is under full load with other traffic. While the same calls start to stutter and drop out in the same situation without cake.

@Normis
If working voice calls under full load are considered placebo, I do not mind.
And MikroTik is not alone as HW vendor not understanding queuing for networks with high bandwidth differences between interfaces. Also the big players just recently got it and started to implement queuing in a way not introducing 100s of milliseconds buffer bloat impacting video streams and voice calls under high load.

rolling
just joined

Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:22 am

I confirm this issue with Samsung phones.

FToms
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:36 am

I confirm this issue with Samsung phones.
Please open a support ticket and include a supout file, or at least the output of '/interface/wifiwave2/export'.

kaixinwang
just joined

Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:55 am

Hi. normis
If CAKE doesn't work on RouterOS, why did Mikrotik introduce the queue type in 7.1beta3?
Now that CAKE is introduced, why not let us simply use it?
@dtaht shows that CAKE can work with simple queues and queue trees without setting bandwidth
@jbl42 @arm920t also proved that CAKE works well in action.
CAKE
Why do you still say that CAKE is a placebo? If RouterOS is not compatible with CAKE, it may be the best choice to delete CAKE directly. I really want CAKE to be featured on RouterOS.

arm920t
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:55 pm

Hi. normis
If CAKE doesn't work on RouterOS, why did Mikrotik introduce the queue type in 7.1beta3?
Now that CAKE is introduced, why not let us simply use it?
@dtaht shows that CAKE can work with simple queues and queue trees without setting bandwidth
@jbl42 @arm920t also proved that CAKE works well in action.
CAKE
Why do you still say that CAKE is a placebo? If RouterOS is not compatible with CAKE, it may be the best choice to delete CAKE directly. I really want CAKE to be featured on RouterOS.

If you give us the ability to see what cake is doing from cli then everyone can see if it's working or not. Having the equivalent command for "tc -s qdisc show dev eth0" in routerOS would provide the ability to see how cake is classifying traffic or if it's working at all.
no way
Snipaste_2022-06-01_17-54-35.png

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:00 pm

no way
Think you missed the "equivalent" part...

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:03 pm

I don't know if it is still possible to get a Linux shell on RouterOS, either on hardware or in a CHR (where it is supposed to be much easier).
I'm not that much into such things, but when there recently arose a topic of "what is in a backup file and what is in a supout.rif" I searched a bit and saw that there still is a whole world of "alternative tools" around...

noradtux

Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:50 pm

Any RB5009 owners updated?
Yep, running fine so far.

Rfulton
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:53 pm

It's clear the developers for Mikrotik and CAKE refuse to communicate, and I can kinda tell who's end it's on.

Reminds me of PFSENSE and wireguard where they both got so mad at each other they made entire blogs telling each other how wrong they were lmao.

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:30 pm

It is not clear what the fuss is about and how it relates to pfsense and wireguard.
You are allowed to set bw-limits in simple and queue-trees with cake type. There is a warning because it does not work in certain scenarios. So it's up to you now when and how to use cake, and if you get the setup where it does not work, well you have been warned.

jbl42
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:31 pm

Regarding the non-existing progress on BGP and IPv6 in ROS7, I really wonder to whom MT is planning to sell all the new CCR2000 high-end devices not able to run ROS6.
With all the more advanced features missing, who is supposed to buy those devices? They are way overpowered for home applications, and what is required to use it were such boxes are useful is missing, with no visible progress and not to speak of any roadmap (while I sometimes wonder if there is even a road to draw a map of).

Good luck for MT all those new boxes are not buyable anywhere (and not even getting a conformed shipping date) because of chip shortage.
At least for the RB5009 there is good news: Owenwrt is now running on RB5009. It is not finished yet, but they are making good progress. So finally there is a feature complete and stable SW for the really good RB5009 HW at the horizon.

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:33 pm

If you are referring to BFD, then it is a work in progress, it was not promised that it will be ready on the 7.3 release.

Larsa
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:45 pm

@normis wrote: Instead of completely not allowing you to accidentally create non-working configuration, you will now see a warning if you do.
I think that was a wise decision instead of imposing some kind of hard limitations.

@mrz wrote: You are allowed to set bw-limits in simple and queue-trees with cake type. There is a warning because it does not work in certain scenarios. So it's up to you now when and how to use cake, and if you get the setup where it does not work, well you have been warned.

It may be worth mentioning the reasoning behind this in the help docs, thus some background info why stacking shapers might be a bad idea and maybe specify some good examples of proper usage of Cake for both simple and tree queues.

Regarding the quote below from @Dtaht, one may possibly reformulate and cut out appropriate parts of the information that may be used in the help docs:

"The only thing you have to prevent users from doing is setting the CAKE 'bandwidth' parameter when it's installed as a leaf qdisc under HFSC. Running Cake in 'unlimited' mode (which is the default anyway) as a leaf in an HFSC tree is perfectly fine, so if users want to do that, I'd say let them.

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:49 pm

If you are referring to BFD, then it is a work in progress, it was not promised that it will be ready on the 7.3 release.
BDF using on OSPF few path have problems in v6. We hope that will be fixed in ROS7. I wait for it very mutch.

Larsa
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:50 pm

I don't know if it is still possible to get a Linux shell on RouterOS, either on hardware or in a CHR (where it is supposed to be much easier).
That hack is unfortunately long gone.

If you give us the ability to see what cake is doing from cli then everyone can see if it's working or not. Having the equivalent command for "tc -s qdisc show dev eth0" in routerOS would provide the ability to see how cake is classifying traffic or if it's working at all.

Yeah, access to something similar or equivalent to "tc" wouldn't hurt. It might be implemented using both a general cli and an api that will enable the possibility to built a visual real time queue monitor. Or what the heck, why not build a shell with complete access to "tc" ;-)

I'm talking about a visual aid tool like for example this: https://github.com/ze-phyr-us/tcviz/

Simonej
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:01 pm

WPA3 on Android 12 (Google phone) is a long time problem, I never succed a connection with my phones, WPA3 was a Google bug, solved this winter, still not working with MT devices, the only way is to use only WPA2.

mikegleasonjr
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:45 pm

Nobody is going to mention we still cannot specify the direction of the queue in Cake? See.: https://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man8/tc-cake.8.html It defaults to egress.

That way we could have proper flow isolation configuration.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:27 pm

I hope you realize that entire networks and entire companies are waiting on completion of features like this before they can even consider to upgrade to v7,
and that people are a little disappointed when again and again new versions are released that still do not achieve feature parity between v6 and v7.
We really want to abandon v6 and go on with v7, but we cannot until we have that feature parity. And in the mean time, there is work on L3HW and CAKE,
instead of on BFD and similar existing features.

Larsa
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:48 pm

We really want to abandon v6 and go on with v7, but we cannot until we have that feature parity. And in the mean time, there is work on L3HW and CAKE, instead of on BFD and similar existing features.

Yeah, and not to mention "a new controller" that's hardly core functionality.

I'm curious what priority list that drives development and why. And why not just publish and vote for it. Then people have the opportunity to motivate and explain the requirements.

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:17 pm

Stop releasing versions, because one feature is not finished does not make sense.

jbl42
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:47 pm

If you are referring to BFD,.
I'm referring to BGP Multipath selection, BGP Aggregation, RFC 6666, RFC 6286,BGP Advertisement monitoring and BGP Prefix limit (prefix limit has "initial support" with 7.3 after having having MT officials here in the forum claiming it is not needed at all).
All the stuff required for routing in bigger networks.
it was not promised that it will be ready on the 7.3 release
It's not about "promises", it is about having a roadmap so we can decide to buy ROS7 only boxes now and having required features until the boxes have to be deployed.

And no-one asks to stop releasing versions because missing features. The ask is to prioritize feature equivalence with ROS6 over constantly adding half-baked new stuff.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:56 pm

Nobody said anything like that. There are combinations of settings that are invalid, and there are correct settings. When using incorrect settings, RouterOS will show a warning. It is clearly written in the changelog.

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:58 pm

So you are saying that you cannot upgrade to v7 because these features are missing, but BGP Multipath, RFC6666, and RFC6286 never existed in v6 too.
Prefix limits and viewing advertisements are already possible.

infabo
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:02 pm

Larsa. The "controller" isn't in development. They're collecting feature-requests and requirements from the forum-community right now. That's a process without development-team involvement at all.

Larsa
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:09 pm

Stop releasing versions, because one feature is not finished does not make sense.
Well, that's one way to look at it.

The discussion is all about what priorities are made and on what grounds. Really not about stopping publishing new beta releases.

Please listen to and take care of the loyalty of all beta testers who spend a large part of their time to performs beta testing completely free of charge.

Larsa
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:14 pm

That's a process without development-team involvement at all.

You don't say! ;-)

guipoletto
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:16 pm

*) ipv6 - fixed dynamic non link-local addresses displaying;

<< does this relate to the longstanding bug where the router gets an address via SLAAC, but it was not visible anywhere in the interface?

WeWiNet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:34 pm

Fully broken!!!
Upgraded a working 7.2 Audience setup to 7.3rc. I confirm the ww2 access list can now be sorted, great.
BUT, none of my Wifi clients gets an IP address anymore via DHCP. So Wifi is unusable and all wireless clients a down for now.
tried few things to find the obvious issue but nothing is showing up.

Downgrading to previous release did not solve this. Not even installing back 7.2
Had to also again apply an 7.2 backup to get things back to work.

So something is messing things up heavily in 7.3rc on the wifi wave 2 side

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:42 pm

So you are saying that you cannot upgrade to v7 because these features are missing, but BGP Multipath, RFC6666, and RFC6286 never existed in v6 too.
No, I and other people are saying that you should first finish the implementation in v7 of all major features that were in v6 before you start extending it with new stuff.
That includes major things like BFD but also logging done by BGP and preferably also live monitoring in winbox (no fake uptime counters please!), but there are
other topics mentioned in the several release topics.
Only when these features are finished, we can in-place upgrade existing routers running v6, and THEN you can focus on new features.
(and you can stop supporting v6 sooner, saving you double effort)

I can understand that in some cases an existing feature has to be abandoned, but then make a clear list of those on the help site, so we know what things we have to leave behind and not expect in v7.

jbl42
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:45 pm

@nrz
If you you deliberately want to missinterpret what I wrote, you can read or that way.
Fell free not to listen to your customers, many of them beta testing your stuff and sharing their decades of experience for free.
Just continue debating your customers and knowing things better.
Luckily my salary is not depending at all on Mikrotik listening do their customers or how much stuff you sell. So I couldn't care less.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:51 pm

Sorry I really don't understand the point.

You say " Only when these features are finished, we can in-place upgrade existing routers running v6, and THEN you can focus on new features." but you ask for a new feature BFD

Larsa
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:06 pm

normis wrote: but you ask for a new feature BFD

https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Routing/BFD

"Requirements - RouterOS 4.4 or newer with routing package installed."
Last edited by Larsa on Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:07 pm

Sorry I really don't understand the point.

You say " Only when these features are finished, we can in-place upgrade existing routers running v6, and THEN you can focus on new features." but you ask for a new feature BFD
Is it really that difficult Normis???
I am asking for feature BFD because that was available in v6 and we use it a lot.
What I am asking for is feature parity between v6 and v7. So any router running v6 can be upgraded to v7 without losing features. And preferably with an automatic conversion, but manual conversion of some detail config is acceptable.
Is that such an unreasonable demand? And/or is it so hard to understand why users want that?

I am willing to lose "performance features" like route caching. But not functional features like BFD.
And it is not like BFD is such a complicated protocol that it takes man-years to implement that, especially when an existing implementation is at hand.
BFD is essential in a partial mesh wireless network with BGP routing. BGP by itself detects link outages e.g. due to local interference or DFS much too slowly.

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:13 pm

<< does this relate to the longstanding bug where the router gets an address via SLAAC, but it was not visible anywhere in the interface?
Yes, now these addresses are visible.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:21 pm

Fully broken!!!
Don't know about that.
It works for me on 2 hAP AC3, no problems having clients connect.
Are you sure the issue is not elsewhere ?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:24 pm

Typo, sorry ;)

I was referring to what Mrz posted:

"So you are saying that you cannot upgrade to v7 because these features are missing, but BGP Multipath, RFC6666, and RFC6286 never existed in v6 too."

Larsa
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:25 pm

Regarding BFD, devs would get started really quickly just by picking any of the ready-made BFD/OSS implementations that are available online.

mafiosa
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:42 pm

What I have realized is that Mikrotik is good from small to mid size networks and our goal should be to replace mikrotik from our network as soon as our network starts to grow. No proper feature list or any roadmap. Everything bug spotted we get the same reply "we have been able to reproduce the issue and will fix it in an upcoming release but we cannot commit any time line". My employer does not use Mikrotik at all due to their unreliability and bugs, I use it for my home network but always recommend my clients to immediately move away from Mikrotik as soon as they can afford other vendors. I see only baseless argument on the part of Mikrotik team, always trying to prove that they are right. Yes, a fully functional routing engine atleast one at par with v6 is required for any enterprise customers. I am sure that soon some Forum Guru will come and simp for Mikrotik. Also team if this post has caught your attention then try working on M-DNS repeater or make container package available at the earliest.

winap
just joined

Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:00 pm

What I have realized is that Mikrotik is good from small to mid size networks and our goal should be to replace mikrotik from our network as soon as our network starts to grow. No proper feature list or any roadmap. Everything bug spotted we get the same reply "we have been able to reproduce the issue and will fix it in an upcoming release but we cannot commit any time line". My employer does not use Mikrotik at all due to their unreliability and bugs, I use it for my home network but always recommend my clients to immediately move away from Mikrotik as soon as they can afford other vendors. I see only baseless argument on the part of Mikrotik team, always trying to prove that they are right. Yes, a fully functional routing engine atleast one at par with v6 is required for any enterprise customers. I am sure that soon some Forum Guru will come and simp for Mikrotik. Also team if this post has caught your attention then try working on M-DNS repeater or make container package available at the earliest.
But what company do you mean? In my country we have only Ubiquity and Mikrotik routers..Cisco only switches..I mean for company, not home users like TP-Link, Asus, D-Link...

WeWiNet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:38 pm

Fully broken!!!
Don't know about that.
It works for me on 2 hAP AC3, no problems having clients connect.
Are you sure the issue is not elsewhere ?
For sure there is somewhere an error, but can not imagine where it is.
Upgrading something working and then not one single Wifi client of my 20+ on 6 different interfaces gets valid IP address.
And each one shows "bound" in DHCP...? Could be indeed also firewall, filter etc. dropping DHCP packets, but I can not go through all my setup again.
Checked roughly for invalid rules/settings and did not find anything.

That audience is my main device, I can not further debug right now, will wait till there is a new release...

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:21 am

If MikroTik ask me about only one feature to fix, then I answer in first place LOGGING. IPSec or wireless or vpn's have one very old problem.
Please add some uniq id to each peer in IPSec, mac in wireless, id in vpn... because when I have e.g. 40x IPSec tunnel mode then understand what log line is assignet to what tunnel is insaine problematic. On 3 problematic tunnels who reports problems it's impossible to know what line refer to what peer.
How separate logs and export them to second site without checking all lines, this is always hard way.
Strategy.. Line with IP Remote Peer and all below are to one tunnel, until line with IP of other Peer IP is not that easy.

I just say, if this will be improve in ros7, then I will be happy. All my LTE topic are less importand then logging.

buset1974
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:59 am

please check my ticket SUP-79812, the problem related with BGP and i use it in real world with real customer, i can not just upgrade to v7 with this conditions.
i also have some tickets that promised by mikrotik will be solved in v7.
so I am waiting v7 to be stable and solved all of my tickets not only for months but for years .

thx

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:08 am

If MikroTik ask me about only one feature to fix, then I answer in first place LOGGING. IPSec or wireless or vpn's have one very old problem.
Please add some uniq id to each peer in IPSec, mac in wireless, id in vpn... because when I have e.g. 40x IPSec tunnel mode then understand what log line is assignet to what tunnel is insaine problematic. On 3 problematic tunnels who reports problems it's impossible to know what line refer to what peer.
I think that problem is inherent to IPsec. Do you know about any other IPsec product that offers this functionality?
Maybe it could be possible but it would complicate the software a lot. It is not possible to look at an incoming packet and immediately say "oh that belongs to the tunnel he is trying to trace, lets log this packet", especially the part of session establishment which is usually what you are most interested in.
Only after the entire procedure of IKE is completed it becomes apparent to which tunnel the traffic belongs. It would have to be kept in some buffer and released to the log only after everything matches. And when the procedure fails halfway, it may never become apparent if it was interesting or not.
In some cases you may be able to externally add this information, like specifying the external peer IP because you know it beforehand and you know there is only a single IPsec tunnel from that IP. But in the general case (roadwarrior config) it is really difficult I think.
I have suggested before that the logging could be extended with a generic pattern match, so you can configure that certain class of logging packets are logged to a file ONLY when the log text matches (or does not match) some regexp you configure. That can sometimes be used to filter things a bit.

Safic
just joined

Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:00 am

Fully broken!!!
Upgraded a working 7.2 Audience setup to 7.3rc. I confirm the ww2 access list can now be sorted, great.
BUT, none of my Wifi clients gets an IP address anymore via DHCP. So Wifi is unusable and all wireless clients a down for now.
tried few things to find the obvious issue but nothing is showing up.

Downgrading to previous release did not solve this. Not even installing back 7.2
Had to also again apply an 7.2 backup to get things back to work.

Check up you configuration. My Audience works fine. I've upgraded from 7.3b40. WW2, wpa2-psk, wpa2-eap.

infabo
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:21 am

Is use the folowwing config in several installations with success for months on pppoe connections shaped by the ISP to 500/100:
/queue type
add name=cake-WAN-tx kind=cake cake-diffserv=diffserv3  cake-flowmode=dual-srchost cake-nat=yes 
add name=cake-WAN-rx kind=cake cake-diffserv=besteffort cake-flowmode=dual-dsthost cake-nat=yes

/queue simple
add max-limit=500M/100M name=queue1 queue=cake-WAN-rx/cake-WAN-tx target=wan-pppoe
It dramatically reduces latency under full load from 150ms to 15ms. Not only in synthetic flent rrul tests. SIP and MS Teams calls work without issues while the ISP pppoe link is under full load with other traffic. While the same calls start to stutter and drop out in the same situation without cake.
If you have FastTrack enabled, don't forget to add inbound/outbound firewall filter rules so target-interface-traffic does not get fast-tracked.

Jotne
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:27 am

How separate logs and export them to second site without checking all lines, this is always hard way.
Strategy.. Line with IP Remote Peer and all below are to one tunnel, until line with IP of other Peer IP is not that easy.

I just say, if this will be improve in ros7, then I will be happy. All my LTE topic are less importand then logging.
I do agree that MT has a long way to make good logging.
Prefix mess: viewtopic.php?t=124291
Timestamp should be in a IEEE standard format, not jun/02/2022
Events that may log more than one line should have the same ID. Example IPSec login. If many users logs inn more or less at same time, it not possible to see what logline belongs to what user.

buvarbeno
just joined

Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:31 am

Maybe placebo for the measurements too, multiple DSLReports tests say that works. But if You are so clever guy, please write a correct guide using CAKE with RouterOS.

tangent
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm

I don't mind the variable number of categories. It seems like they're giving all the relevant tags, which may be 1+ of them for any given message. It feels purposeful. Whether the existing tag scheme's ontology is sensible is another question.

Timestamp should be in a IEEE standard format, not jun/02/2022

Send the logs to rsyslog, which defaults to ISO 8601 format.

(I assume that's what you mean by "IEEE standard format.")

Events that may log more than one line should have the same ID.

Log verbosity is a problem on devices where logs default to flash or RAM. When you enable rsyslog (or similar) you should have the option to request more verbose logging, since the target presumably has the ability to "sink" more I/O per second, over longer time periods.

huntermic
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:27 pm

I have a 1Gbit fiber connection over pppoe and when i use these settings ( corrected for 1000mb up and 1000mb down ) this does not improve things, only losing some bandwith.
Even when setting bandwith to 900mb up and down, the bufferbloat remains te same ( about +10ms to +15ms on a 2ms unloaded ping )

This is on a RB5009

If a cake queue type is configured in a simple or tree queue, the bandwidth must not be configured inside the cake queue type, but as limit of the containing simple or tree queue. This makes sense it it was also confirmed by @dtaht that cake was designed to work in such configurations.

/queue type

/queue simple

@Normis
And MikroTik is not alone as HW vendor not understanding queuing for networks with high bandwidth differences between interfaces. Also the big players just recently got it and started to implement queuing in a way not introducing 100s of milliseconds buffer bloat impacting video streams and voice calls under high load.

jbl42
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:41 pm

I have a 1Gbit fiber connection over pppoe and when i use these settings ( corrected for 1000mb up and 1000mb down ) this does not improve things, only losing some bandwith.
Even when setting bandwith to 900mb up and down, the bufferbloat remains te same ( about +10ms to +15ms on a 2ms unloaded ping )
If you only have +10 to +15ms bufferbloat under full WAN load, there is not much left to improve for cake. It seems your ISP's shaper and/or buffering is quite good.
In my case, the bufferbloat is +150ms without cake and +10-15ms with cake.

Larsa
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:15 pm

I have a 1Gbit fiber connection over pppoe and when i use these settings ( corrected for 1000mb up and 1000mb down ) this does not improve things, only losing some bandwith. Even when setting bandwith to 900mb up and down, the bufferbloat remains te same ( about +10ms to +15ms on a 2ms unloaded ping )

It's usually pretty hard to saturate >1Gbs connections without proper test equipment so that's probably why you don't see any major difference ie only achieves 10-15 ms latency.

jbl42
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:22 pm

It's usually pretty hard to saturate >1Gbs connections without proper test equipment so that's probably why you don't see any major difference ie only achieves 10-15 ms latency.
Also buffer bloat is usually less of an issue for symetric lines like 1000/1000. In extreme cases like 1000/50 cable internet connections, the Ack packets for incoming TCP might be enough to saturate the uplink.
And in general there is also no point in adding queues if there are no latency problems to solve. In our case, we had stuttering and dropping SIP and Teams calls if the 500/100 link was saturated with other traffic. 10-15ms latency under full load is a very good value. If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:37 am

Also, in such cases it will be sufficient to have a simple queue tree with e.g. 4 or 8 priorities derived from DSCP, similar to what you have with WiFi WMM.
But it appears that some people really are only satisfied when having CAKE.

Larsa
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:44 am

Cake, this is the way! ;-)

jbl42
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:08 am

Also, in such cases it will be sufficient to have a simple queue tree with e.g. 4 or 8 priorities derived from DSCP, similar to what you have with WiFi WMM.
But it appears that some people really are only satisfied when having CAKE.
That's what we did for many years before there was Cake.
The beauty of Cake is at least for me not primarily "better" queuing, but its simplicity of setup.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/prairiev/6247731509

buvarbeno
just joined

Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:54 am

Also buffer bloat is usually less of an issue for symetric lines like 1000/1000. In extreme cases like 1000/50 cable internet connections, the Ack packets for incoming TCP might be enough to saturate the uplink...
I get 100/7Mbps from my ISP and CAKE helps for me too. I know its a sophisticated algorithm, and hard to integrate, but It worth to integrate well into RouterOS because for small ISP-s and home users it can help a lot and give better experience with weaker connection too. So I dont understand why CAKE is poorly endowed by Mikrotik.

woland
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:09 am

I know its a sophisticated algorithm, and hard to integrate, but It worth to integrate well into RouterOS because for small ISP-s and home users it can help a lot and give better experience with weaker connection too. So I dont understand why CAKE is poorly endowed by Mikrotik.
Ad "hard to integrate" :

https://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/codel/wiki/Cake/
Installing “CAKE” out of tree on Linux
CAKE is included in upstream Linux as of kernel v4.19. This means it is available out of the box on most modern Linux distributions. If you’re running an older kernel, you can compile the out-of-tree version as follows:
Do a:
IF you have kernel source installed to leverage, adding cake is as easy as

git clone https://github.com/dtaht/sch_cake.git

cd sch_cake
make; sudo make install
Ps. Yes I know, it is probably harder than that, and in case of MT we have a very much customized kernel. Don´t roast me! please! :)

infabo
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:38 pm

woland. v7 is based on kernel 5.6.6 AFAIK. So no need to worry about that.

emils
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:48 pm

What's new in 7.3rc2 (2022-Jun-02 15:26):

*) capsman - fixed loss of manager configuration when "package-path" is set to external disk;
*) l2tp - fixed L2TP session handling from iOS clients (introduced in v7.3beta40);
*) ssh - fixed corrupt host key automatic regeneration;

woland
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:49 pm

woland. v7 is based on kernel 5.6.6 AFAIK. So no need to worry about that.
That´s exactly my point. :)

hecatae
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:51 pm

7.3rc2 running fine on Chateau and hAP Lite

rpingar
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:20 pm

7.3rc1 and 7.3rc2 on CCR2216 are not able to work correctly when there are more then 3 bgp fullroutes loaded:
- not able to fetch routing/route or ip/route
- so not able to reteive the invalid rpki routes
routing/route/print where rpki=invalid

action timed out - try again, if error continues contact MikroTik support and send a supout file (13)

- all cores goes to 100% when there is an rpki validator sync

ticket opened with supout and config: [SUP-83756]

syadnom
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:00 pm

Firstly, bang up job on this. Really impressed of late.

Any idea when zerotier will be on other platforms? I've got a lot of mips devices dying to get zerotier, and a few tile as well.

rpingar
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:14 pm

*) bgp - added "name" parameter for connections; (beta40)
if they meant sessions and not connections, we don't see it in rc1 and rc2............
may we have an official explanation?
regards

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jun 04, 2022 4:14 pm

if they meant sessions and not connections, we don't see it in rc1 and rc2............
regards
Before it was explained that indeed instead of "connection", it should have said "session".
And indeed, there now is a name value in "session" (which is the name of the "connection" with a numeric suffix -1 -2 etc).
However, what was not mentioned is that this addition is only available in commandline mode, not in webfig or winbox.
/routing/bgp/session/print shows it, also in rc1.

I cannot understand why new features are always only available in commandline at first, and later added to other modes.
This is a prime example of a feature that is mainly useful for winbox and webfig modes, where data is presented in tabular form.

Apparently adding something to winbox and webfig requires new development every time. When I was a designer there then I
would have spent the long time before v7 was finally released to re-work that system so that anything developed for the
router software would automatically be available in all environments, e.g. through the use of one central command table
that has the information required for all three presentations.
But apparently it doesn't exist. And now is not the time to work on that, now is the time to achieve feature completeness
of v7 relative to v6 first.

rpingar
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:40 pm

regards
Before it was explained that indeed instead of "connection", it should have said "session".
And indeed, there now is a name value in "session" (which is the name of the "connection" with a numeric suffix -1 -2 etc).
However, what was not mentioned is that this addition is only available in commandline mode, not in webfig or winbox.
/routing/bgp/session/print shows it, also in rc1.

I cannot understand why new features are always only available in commandline at first, and later added to other modes.
This is a prime example of a feature that is mainly useful for winbox and webfig modes, where data is presented in tabular form.

Apparently adding something to winbox and webfig requires new development every time. When I was a designer there then I
would have spent the long time before v7 was finally released to re-work that system so that anything developed for the
router software would automatically be available in all environments, e.g. through the use of one central command table
that has the information required for all three presentations.
But apparently it doesn't exist. And now is not the time to work on that, now is the time to achieve feature completeness
of v7 relative to v6 first.
many thanks,
in cli I see "name".......... not in winbox..... maybe in later releases.......
thanks again about the explanation.
regards

tangent
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:58 pm

one central command table that has the information required for all three presentations.

Something like that must already exist, else we wouldn't be seeing all these "winbox" entries in the RouterOS ChangeLogs. To take 7.3beta33, for instance, "winbox) show PVID column by default under "Bridge" menu". How can that happen if RouterOS doesn't influence the WinBox presentation?

Doubtless more could be done, but I believe there's a logical limit to it. To create a 1:1 mapping between GUI and CLI would discard the values of one for the other. We have both because we acknowledge that each provides unique value. That inverse must be that the two presentations cannot achieve 1:1 parity. MikroTik makes them distinct because we as users want them to be distinct.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:22 pm

You misunderstand me. Of course RouterOS affects what winbox presents, there are winbox updates but not for every change in RouterOS.
In de ideal world, such "xxx (already existing in commandline) now also added to winbox" would not exist, because adding it to some table used by commandline would also make it visible in winbox. Maybe winbox requires some extra bits like "is it visible by default" and some column title and width, but that should not require that much more work.

There must be some table of commands and their options, and of output values and their type.
What I do not understand is why such tables are apparently separate for commandline and winbox. When a new command is added to commandline, or a new value is output from a command, it should "automatically" appear in all presentations. As it is now, it appears that always extra work has to be done and it is usually not done on the first pass. Now we are 2 releases beyond the addition of this extra value and winbox does not present it.
Maybe there is a separate person responsible for winbox additions and they need to have their go at it now?

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:44 pm

There must be some table of commands and their options, and of output values and their type.
Now wouldn't that be handy to know? If your suggesting MT publishes a schema for winbox/API/REST attributes... I'm with you – it must exist...somewhere, but clearly winbox isn't the place to look.

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:00 pm

Look at Users\user\Appdata\Roaming\Mikrotik\Winbox\ROSversion\ for *.jg files.

infabo
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:34 am

When a new command is added to commandline, or a new value is output from a command, it should "automatically" appear in all presentations.
Cosmetics. What if you use/set a new value at CLI that is not visible to winbox yet. Then you go to winbox and save the corresponding dialog. You can now fear and sweat. Will Winbox reset your value from the setting you just made before with CLI? To be honest: I highly assume that. That is why I never hit "OK" buttons in Winbox. The window-close-x seems to be safe. Btw, is there a user permissions to grant read-only access to winbox?

dtaht
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:26 pm

But it works for physical ones, for example, my WAN interface is ether1. I haven't tested if it actually functions properly, but RouterOS let's me assign the queue.
In my tests it never was possible to attach cake as interface queues on virtual interfaces.
But what works, at least for me up to ROS 7.2.3 on RB5009/4011, is creating a simple queue targeting a virtual interface and using cake queue types.
This seems not te be possible anymore starting with latest beta.

One could think about using a cake queue on the physical interface used fot the pppoe traffic.
But cake will hardly work on pppoe encapsulated traffic.
Also setups with parallel uplinks on different VLANs sharing the same physical WAN interface will not be able to apply different cake queues to different uplinks.

Is is also important to note that interface queues affect egress traffic only.

As I understand it, with the current change, cake can only be used if WAN uplink is running unencapsulated (no pppoe, ipsec, etc) on an exclusive physical interface carring no other traffic than WAN.
cake should work just fine on pppoe and mpls encapsulated traffic. Certainly pppoe is well tested in the openwrt world. But that needs to be tested, as well as MPLS, on mikrotik.

> Also setups with parallel uplinks on different VLANs sharing the same physical WAN interface will not be able to apply different cake queues to different uplinks.

No, it should also work as a shaper on vlan interfaces.

> Is is also important to note that interface queues affect egress traffic only.

In my world (which is not mikrotik), we regularly redirect traffic on inbound to an ifb, and then shape that.

dtaht
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:32 pm

/queue type

/queue simple

@Normis
@jbl42 - Since you grok this, I am hereby delegating to you to let me know if this ever gets sorted. Really happy to see you had had a working cake connection over ppoe for months as you describe above.

strods
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:33 am

New version v7.3 has been released!

viewtopic.php?t=186567