Community discussions

MikroTik App

NotAnITGuy
just joined
Topic Author

NTP server

Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:12 am

I have a couple sites that have Video surveillance systems that aren't internet connected. We were recently were asked by Law Enforcement to pull some of the video for potential evidence. In pulling the video it occurred to me that our timestamps were off since the video system is primarily used to review video locally and nobody has updated the clock settings in 3 years.

I have a couple Hex S's and a HAP AC Lite set up with a GPS dongle and the loaded NTP server apps. I have successfully used this set up before on a different application but I'm running into a roadblock. The DVR, according to the manual, when NTP is enabled will reach out to set the time once a day, and it doesn't give me the option to enter an IP address for the NTP server. It only has a drop-down menu with: Time.Windows.Com , Time.nist.gov, and Pool.ntp.org ... It doesn't appear to receive generic broadcast.

Is there a way I can trick the router into replying when the DVR queries the selected NTP server? Maybe giving the router a web address of time.windows.com or something like that?

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: NTP server

Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:18 am

That's one way, or redirect NTP from DVR to router:
/ip firewall nat
add chain=dstnat src-address=<DVR address> protocol=udp dst-port=123 action=redirect

NotAnITGuy
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:11 pm

Thank you, I really appreciate the assist....

Update- In theory this should have worked and after more reading others have had success with this option but for some reason it didn't work for my set-up. There was never any traffic showing up on the NAT rules for some reason. even when I tried updating my laptop time it didn't work unless I used the router address as the NTP server.

I believe by adding static dns routes(domain>NTP server IP) to the router and setting the DNS server settings on the equipment to match the router(ntp server) IP, things will align correctly. At least, it appears to work fine when using my laptop to test the theory. If I have time today I will apply this in the field.

Update#2- Initially it didn't work, but while troubleshooting I noticed the Samsung\Wisenet DVR was connected to the POE injector which was connected to Ether1, but it showed up as Ether6(didn't exist prior to connection). After adding Ether6 to the LAN bridge. I was able to update the time Via all 3 of the NTP choices. I didn't notice the Ether6 interface previous visits, maybe that is why the NAT Port forwarding didn't work. I am using POE to power the router as it sits on a wall with no power outlets so the GPS dongle has access to the sky. I did remove the WAN settings and add Ether1 to the LAN Bridge , but maybe I didn't do something correctly or the POE input is causing the issue.

kevinds
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue May 24, 2022 5:01 am

Will it accept a NTP server from a DHCP request?

Otherwise a DNS server to answer one of the options with the local IP.

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 24, 2022 5:18 am

This is what I am using at home:
https://centerclick.com/ntp/

kevinds
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue May 24, 2022 5:24 am

This is what I am using at home:
This doesn't help the OP because they have three servers to pick from in a drop-down to pick from.