Community discussions

MikroTik App

martinol
just joined
Topic Author

SXT LTE6 signal issues

Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:11 pm

Hi all, I am asking you for help about connecting a rural house through LTE with a SXT LTE6.

I have a sim from a virtual network operator who offers convenient LTE data plans specifically for rural areas. I upgraded from a tp-link router to the microtik, all good and fine until a few weeks ago the virtual provider switched on a different network (Vodafone) which does not have optimal coverage in my area. From then my signal has been quite unstable and much slower. The SXT connects to these two masts, but as you can see from the screenshot, neither of them is ideal (red star is location of the house).

It seems I am quite out of the way of the cell sectors. Also both masts are around 7 km away.

Closest mast is this one, but unfortunately I do not have LoS because of some trees and a house. Mast is 3km away. Never managed to connect to it.

There is another mast right in front, on which I do have a clear line of sight, but as you can see it seems it does not reach my location (connected to it with very noisy signal).

What are my options?

Should I try to move the SXT on a spot with better los on the third mast? Although It would kind of complicated as I should mount it on the roof and this still does not guarantee I achieve a clear los, as the house in front is one floor higher.

Should I try upgrading hardware to get better signal from further way masts?

Thanks everyone for the help!

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: SXT LTE6 signal issues

Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:00 pm

Your RSRP, RSRQ and RSSI values are not bad...
They are not excellent either.. but they are good...

You could try updating to Ros v7, there are a lot of fixes for the LTE.
Also, what is your modem firmware version ?

martinol
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:25 pm

Hey Zacharias thanks for the reply, indeed what bothers me is that I previously achieved excellent values with the previous carrier network, stable 40-50 mbp.
Indeed I am running firmware v025 while latest is v033, I am updating right now, I'll share if I manage to get any improvements!

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:21 am

You could update to ROS v7 as well.
First backup your configuration in case something happens.