Community discussions

MikroTik App

ArnaudMbl
just joined
Topic Author

cAP Lite + hEX + CAPsMAN. I don't get it

Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:32 pm

Hi Mikrotik Forum Users, I hope everybody doing well !

I'm trying to figure out how to manage a cAP Lite (RBcAPL-2nD) through CAPsMAN hosted on an hEX (RB750Gr3).

cAP Lite
After first connexion to Wifi Network on this device , I didn't do too much tweaking, so just used the most obvious and simple option avail to me. In the end, cAP Lite is setup as CAP using Quick Set. Nothing more.

hEX
configuration has been done following https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:S ... sMAN_setup guidelines.

Since cAP Lite is in CAP mode (Quick Set). I think some steps in preceding tutorial don't need to be done (specifically Step #3, setup CAPs).

What I don't get is that cAP doesn't appear in CAPsMAN after those steps.

DHCP Server is running, I can see a lease for cAP Lite on the hEX (and I can ping hEX and cAP Lite from my workstation)

Can you please explain what I am missing, or if there are other tutorials available ?

Best.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: cAP Lite + hEX + CAPsMAN. I don't get it

Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:42 pm

When adding a device as a cap... log into it and select reset configuration. Check the box for caps-mode.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:52 pm

Or use the reset button to put it in CAP mode.
For CAP Lite that would mean pressing it when powered off, power on the device, then keep the button pressed for at least 10 seconds.

From manual:
https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/UM/cAP+lite

Reset button
The reset button has three functions:

Hold this button during boot time until LED light starts flashing, release the button to reset RouterOS configuration (total 5 seconds).
Keep holding for 5 more seconds, LED turns solid, release now to turn on CAP mode. The device will now look for a CAPsMAN server (total 10 seconds).
Or Keep holding the button for 5 more seconds until LED turns off, then release it to make the RouterBOARD look for Netinstall servers (total 15 seconds).

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:43 pm

Why?
You are adding a layer of complexity not required and adding CPU cyles to the hex.
CAPSMAN is advanced configurtion IMHO and should be avoided unless necessary.
With three or less devices why bother,...............

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:16 pm

Why?
You are adding a layer of complexity not required and adding CPU cyles to the hex.
CAPSMAN is advanced configurtion IMHO and should be avoided unless necessary.
With three or less devices why bother,...............
The caps-man config I built into my default config... Makes caps-man really easy to use and monitor.

Even with only 2 wireless radios.

Sadly... It's the performance of those radios, that negates the use of caps-man.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:20 pm

Hi gotsprings can you send me the default config (email on my signa) or post it here etc.
Completely agree that capsman is good if you need the fidelity and most important of all is multiple APs so administer.
I dont need capsman and did just fine running three capacs without it. However if MT makes wifi6, then I will go back to MT wifi.

ArnaudMbl
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:28 pm

Thank you all for your answers !

Why do I want to do such setup (and add layer of complexity)

First usage is test, so you can see this as a lab.
Second, is I live in a rather big house (lucky I know), so in the end, I think, I'll need more than 3 AP. In such case, it seems legitimate to use CAPsMAN to manage in the same plate all those APs.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:10 am

Nothing wrong with learning capsman but do you really want to piss off family members ;-) Wait until MT has wifi6 products!!

nordex
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:43 am

hahahah...you made my day....so true.... :D
Nothing wrong with learning capsman but do you really want to piss off family members ;-) Wait until MT has wifi6 products!!