Community discussions

MikroTik App

Li77leMikr07ik
just joined
Topic Author

CHR and how to add Clients in Hyper-V

Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:32 pm

Hello everyone,

I am pretty new to virtualization and so I just installed my first CHR. Now I am a little bit confused because I dont know how to connect devices to the CHR.

What I have done:
I created a virtual switch and connected mv virtual Windows Server to the CHR. What I got is a interface (ether1) as I know it from an appliance. The connection between the Server and the CHR works fine.
So I thought I create another switch and connect a different Windows PC to the CHR. I also got a intercface ether2.

Is this the right way to do it? For each device I want to connect to the CHR I create a virtual switch in Hyper-V?

Both the interfaces are belonging to the same bridge by the way. But unfortunately I get no connection between ether2 and CHR. Only when I connect both Windows PC to the same virtual Hyper-V bridge, evervthing works. But than I only have one port for all my Windows PCs?

But this confuses me, because I like to have every Windows on a individual port.

Could you please tell me, how to connect devices by the best practise?

Thank you.
Marcus

Rudios
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: CHR and how to add Clients in Hyper-V

Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:23 pm

When your virtual clients need to be on different networks, then your way is ok. When the clients need to share the same common network, all virtual machines need to be connected to the same virtual switch, and together with one interface of the CHR they will share that network and are able to communicate with one another (by the way, the do not need the CHR for this communication, it is just another network member)
If split networks are the goal you have to create a virtual network for every one of these networks and connect your VM and 1 interface of the CHR accordingly. The CHR will then do the routing between the networks. Providing the assumption there is an IP for the different networks configured on the CHR.