Community discussions

MikroTik App

strykertoo
just joined
Topic Author

Virtual wlan2 assigned to wlan1 fails connection

Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:28 pm

ROS v6.49.5
I connect to wlan1 with a tablet and access the internet. When I try to connect to virtual wlan2 with a phone, the connection hangs awaiting ip address.

I understand that wlan1 has to be running and it is because of the continued tablet connection. The virtual wlan2 also shows that it is running (viewed on winbox) while the ip address hang is happening.

The same phone connects to wlan1 with no problem.

Doesn't virtual wlan2 use the wlan1 parameters?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Virtual wlan2 assigned to wlan1 fails connection

Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:46 pm

Virtual wlan2 is indeed piggy-backing on top of real wlan1 on the radio part of it. However, on the router part it's own interface ... and if you want any traffic to pass wlan2, you have to configure the other side of it.

Essentially, virtual wlan is virtual as far as /interface wireless part of configuration. It's completely indpendent in other parts, e.g. in /interface bridge. To show that virtual wireless works, you can simply add wlan2 interface as bridge port
/interface bridge port
add bridge=bridge-wifi interface=wlan2
and should work the same way as if connecting to physical interface.

And, BTW, physical interface doesn't have to be active at all times, it only has to be enabled at all times. So if none wireless clients are connected to Lynn91 SSID, wlan1 interface will be inactive. But wlan2 interface with SSID homeguest will still be active if some clients will be connected. However, if you decide to disable physical interface (e.g. because homeowner will not be at home, so no Lynn91 wireless needed), then virtual will be brought down as well.

strykertoo
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:54 pm

Thanks for that good information. Under bridge port, I created the new "wlan2" and assigned it to bridge1-wifi as you suggested and it now works properly.

Thanks for the clarification about the run status of both wlan1 & wlan2.

Thank you, thank you very much.

P.S. How do you mark a post as solved? I am new at this or any other forum.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:05 pm

P.S. How do you mark a post as solved? I am new at this or any other forum.

At the top right corner of post you, as thread initiator, see icon that selects post as one solving the problem. I'm sorry not to be able to give more concrete advice, I was in your position only a couple of times in all of these years.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:30 pm

If you look at this sample config of a CAPAC, you will note that there are two WLANS, homeWLan and MediaWLan and then one virutal HVAC_WLAN, with master interface being the media WLAN.
viewtopic.php?t=182276

Each WLAN corrresponds to the vlan running over it. homevlan, mediavlan and cerv vlan.