Community discussions

MikroTik App

swmikmr
just joined
Topic Author

CRS326-24G-2S+RM plus which WiFi router for wireless VLANs?

Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:49 pm

Hi all,

Hope you're having a great day. I'm new to MikroTik and RouterOS but I have a CRS326-24G-2S+RM managing my ethernet ports in my house, connected to an ASUS RT-AC86U router which handles the wireless clients and is connected to the incoming WAN fiber connection, passing this internet connection on to the CRS326 on Ether1.

As the ASUS router cannot handle VLANs (running stock firmware) and I'd like to create VLANs for wireless IoT clients in order to isolate them from my personal wireless clients, and my network as a whole, I'm starting to look for a solution to achieve this. My first thought would be to replace the ASUS router with a MikroTik router with RouterOS which can create and manage VLANs for wireless clients and combine it with my existing CRS326 to bridge the connections as needed. Am i on the right track here, would a (managed) VLAN aware wireless router, connected between my fiber connection and my CRS326, solve the issue of creating VLANs for my wireless clients and bridging them with my existing CRS326 managed ethernet LANs/VLANs/clients? If not, what other option would you suggest? My first thought was to connect the CRS326 directly to the fiber WAN and pass a VLAN to the ASUS through an etherX but that would of course mean that there would only be one VLAN for all the wireless clients as it wouldn't be able to detect/manage what's being passed through.

If I am on the right track though, what wireless router would be the best choice for this? I've found these three locally and am curious which one, or ones, would be able to achieve this.
- MikroTik hAP ac²
- MikroTik hAP ac³
- MikroTik RouterBOARD hAP ac lite RB952UI-5AC2ND

Thank you in advance and best rgds

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: CRS326-24G-2S+RM plus which WiFi router for wireless VLANs?

Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:17 pm

Buying wifi today you should not settle for less than WIFI6. Many models out there that have wifi6 and can handle vlans.

swmikmr
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:19 pm

Buying wifi today you should not settle for less than WIFI6. Many models out there that have wifi6 and can handle vlans.
Thanks for the reply. Any suggestion for what model I should be looking for that would work well with my CRS326?

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:20 pm

Thats up to you....... Do recommend something with the QUALCOM Wifi chip IPQ8072A
https://www.mbreviews.com/best-wireless-access-points/
https://www.techradar.com/best/best-wap

The rest depends on POE requirements, ethernet port requirements, vlan requirements etc....
Ensure that whatever you get can be set locally and not total reliance on a proprietary controller.

JazzMaster
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:02 am

My choice is with TP-Link EAP660 HD.WIFI 6 and a host of other features
https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-EAP660-H ... 00-20&th=1

Description from AMAZON
TP-Link EAP660 HD | Omada WiFi 6 AX3600 Wireless 2.5G Access Point for High-Density Deployment | OFDMA, Mesh, Seamless Roaming & MU-MIMO | SDN Integrated | Cloud Access & Omada App | PoE+ Powered