Community discussions

MikroTik App

JimKusz
just joined
Topic Author

Upgrade wAP to 5G LTE

Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:07 pm

Hello all:

I have a customer who's only source of internet is a single T1 (1.544Mbps @ $600/mo!) or LTE. We tried a wAP with the LTE6 card in it, and it does come up and work, but yeilds only 12 x 3Mbps speed. The same SIM in an iPhone at the same location speedtests at 60x23Mbps! The only difference is it runs at 5G, and the customer needs at least 10Mbps up for a video feed (it is an auction house).

So, from this I set out to buy an updated LTE card that supports 5G....Unfortunately, I'm running into a lot of issues finding something, and I'm relatively new to LTE cards, so I'm not sure about compatibility. Its clear that Microtik doesn't have a compatible 5G LTE card yet.

I gather that I'm going to have to buy a M.2 card and a mPCIe to M.2 adapter. Question is does anyone have any specifics on cards that are (or are definitely not) compatible with ROS?
For example, looking at a Quectel RM500Q-AE or RM502Q-AE as an option...

My googling on the topic of compatibility has been mixed, so I'm looking for some guidance here...For example, Lots of notes on USB2 vs USB3 pins connected, SIM pins connected, which slots on which boards can handle it, etc... The only data I found on the wAP AC LTE6 kit that I have is that only USB pins are connected to the mPCIe...But that doesn't tell me if they are USB2 or 3. Obvously the SIM pins are connected, too...

Does anyone have any suggestions of specific adapter boards? Most seem to have onboard SIM slots, which I would assume would mean the mPCIe pins are not connected, and thus the wAP sim slot is not usable...

Thank you for your input!

JimKusz
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Upgrade wAP to 5G LTE

Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:53 pm

I've done a bunch more reading, but one question I still haven't been able to answer:
Does the wAP AC mPCIe slot have USB2 or USB3 pins hooked up? Microtik block diagram simply says "USB".

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:00 am

wirelessbuddy
just joined

Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:08 am

I have the wAP R ac and I couldn't physically fit the Quectel RM502Q-AE with a M.2 to mini PCIe adapter into it because it's just too long.

JimKusz
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:03 am

Hmm..hadn't thought about the length. Just got out a ruler and measured, and it appears the mPCIe is 50mm tall, the M.2 spec is 52mm, and because an mPCIe to M.2 adapter is needed, its going to add another 5-10mm, so yea...Unless the adapter is tall (and possibly too tall), no M.2 card will fit in the wAP case. Drat.

Any suggestions for alternative hardware? Looking for LTE mid-5g frequency antennas (1-2Ghz range) and 700Mhz, and enough room to hold the M.2 w/ adapter (assuming mPCIe slot). Outdoor mounting (of at least the LTE antennas). Looking at the SXT R, not sure if there's enough room, but it could work I think.

Any suggestions?

hecatae
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:48 am

Would the LTAP be worth considering?

JimKusz
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:22 am

Yep, looking at the LTAP. A bit more than what I wanted to pay, and for some reason, the version without an LTE card is $7 MORE than the version with a (useless) LTE card....But that's a likely path I'd need to go.

I'm also curious if it would fit in the SXT. I know its only 100Mbps ethernet; I don't know if the CPU supports USB3 or 2 interface on the mPCI slot. But the form factor is what I would like (a directional, pole-mount antenna/radio enclosure, fed and powered with a single cat5).

The card I plan to install (and have in route already) is:
https://the-wireless-haven-media.s3.us- ... L-Spec.pdf

Looks like its 52mm long, and when you couple that with an adapter, I think the total length will be 57-62mm. Just don't know if that would fit (in any of the boxes -- I cannot find any pictures of the inside of an LTAP).

hecatae
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:10 pm

It would be too big for my LTAP Mini, I currently have an EM12G in an m2 adapter and it only just fits in the case.

RogerWilco

Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:44 am

I'm also curious if it would fit in the SXT. I know its only 100Mbps ethernet; I don't know if the CPU supports USB3 or 2 interface on the mPCI slot. But the form factor is what I would like (a directional, pole-mount antenna/radio enclosure, fed and powered with a single cat5).
USB 2.0. The antenna is also a bit useless if more than a couple of kilometres from a tower.
Why 5G? You can just swap to a different CAT6 modem that supports more bands.

hecatae
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon May 02, 2022 12:59 am

USB 2.0. The antenna is also a bit useless if more than a couple of kilometres from a tower.
Why 5G? You can just swap to a different CAT6 modem that supports more bands.
Why stick with CAT6 when CAT12, 18 and 20 are readily available?

RogerWilco

Mon May 02, 2022 1:59 am

Why stick with CAT6 when CAT12, 18 and 20 are readily available?
See the first post as to speed can be achieved and is required.

josepc
just joined

Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:42 am

Hmm..hadn't thought about the length. Just got out a ruler and measured, and it appears the mPCIe is 50mm tall, the M.2 spec is 52mm, and because an mPCIe to M.2 adapter is needed, its going to add another 5-10mm, so yea...Unless the adapter is tall (and possibly too tall), no M.2 card will fit in the wAP case. Drat.

Any suggestions for alternative hardware? Looking for LTE mid-5g frequency antennas (1-2Ghz range) and 700Mhz, and enough room to hold the M.2 w/ adapter (assuming mPCIe slot). Outdoor mounting (of at least the LTE antennas). Looking at the SXT R, not sure if there's enough room, but it could work I think.

Any suggestions?
The mpcie adapter for Quectel 5G does not fit into SXT R