Community discussions

MikroTik App

milosek
just joined
Topic Author

Config of 2 AP from unifi

Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:43 pm

Hello, guys can you help me how to correctly configure external AP?

I do have mikrotik HAP ac 2 which I use as modem/router ethernet. I do have gigabit fiber at home.
However I wanna switched the mikrotik's wifi and use 2x Unifi AP instead. Those APs will be connected via ethernet to mikrotik.

I now have it running but I guess not correcty one of them is still going down and back or when i see the overview in mikrotik interface those ethernet ports where the APs have very low TX RX...

Thank yoiu

Hominidae

Re: Config of 2 AP from unifi

Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:32 pm

You should disable the WiFi on your hap ac2 or at least use different SSIDs...unif APs will detect the other WiFi signal with same SSID as a "rogue AP" otherwise and will simply go offline.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:49 pm

...unif APs will detect the other WiFi signal with same SSID as a "rogue AP" otherwise and will simply go offline.
When did that start?

Hominidae

Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:56 pm

...don't know when this started, but I had it happen on two of mine (UAP-AC LR) when I had them running along with my MT setup.
Seems natural, as unifi is managed, enterprise solution...simply not a mix&match catered for.

The unifiAPs / the controller will basically sound/issue an alert...if channels get crowded, they will try and switch over, sometimes restart - maybe its a faulty behaviour in the firmware, as normally they shouldn't.
I decommissioned mine approx 2 years ago, after they introduced a firmware where non-unifi DHCP-Servers would not allow them to connect/acquire an IP (and called home without admin/user consent).

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:58 pm

I personally can't stand UniF--k. Haven't worked on it in years. What I know for a fact, is they used to do a channel scan at boot only. They certainly never used to shut down when nearby things have the same SSID. In fact a job last week added new access points. The existing system was UniF--k. As far as I can tell the UniF--k waps are still working, even though the new access points have the same SSID.

Hominidae

Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:36 pm

...maybe they changed the behaviour then or my experience was just different.
They definitely would report a "rouge AP" even well after the AP with same SSID showing up after the unifi AP booted.

But instability of the connection could as well have other reasons. Like I said, some firmwares introduced the disability to register with a non-unifi dhcp-server.
Or could as well be a faulty injector or cable, as these APs are all PoE powered.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:46 am

I had a script on my Tiks to update UniFi in the DNS server. Had it resolve where ever the client's server was. Plug in a WAP at a site with one of our Mikrotiks... The WAPs and Switches would call their server and pop up as ready to adopt.

This even worked for the Ubiquiti Distributor that had Mikrotiks for their branch routers.

Buckeye
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:38 am

Hello, guys can you help me how to correctly configure external AP?

I do have mikrotik HAP ac 2 which I use as modem/router ethernet. I do have gigabit fiber at home.
However I wanna switched the mikrotik's wifi and use 2x Unifi AP instead. Those APs will be connected via ethernet to mikrotik.

I now have it running but I guess not correcty one of them is still going down and back or when i see the overview in mikrotik interface those ethernet ports where the APs have very low TX RX...

Thank yoiu
It isn't clear what you are asking.

If you want help configuring the AP's, you will get more helpful responses on ui.com, without all the hate. To get things to work, you are going to require a UniFi controller, whether that is a cloud key or the controller running on some host, I use a raspberry pi. If you don't want to be able to see wifi stats, then you don't even need a controller, you can set it up with a mobile app.

But you have not provided enough information to help. Are you going to be using more than a single SSID? If so and you want both of them to be available from the UniFi AP, you will need to use vlans on your hap ac2.

Can you provide a network diagram of how you want to connect things?

And include an /export of your hap ac2 so we can see what works but is not as fast as you want.

To get good performance with vlans may require using the switch menu on the hap ac2, since I don't think that the vlan-filtering bridge method allows the vlan operations to be done by the switch hardware in the hap ac2, even with v7.2