Community discussions

MikroTik App

tdussa
Topic Author

How to identify throughput bottleneck

Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:49 pm

Hi everybody,

this might be a noob question, but I was trying to find some information on how to identify throughput bottlenecks on ROS devices, but could not find anything useful. My concrete situation is that I have a hEX PoE that is hooked up to a 1 GBit cable modem, but for some reason, I cannot seem to get more than 200 MBit (total over all connections) for TCP traffic. I am sure that something in my config is throttling the throughput, because when I open an OpenVPN connection, that gets 400 MBit. This leads me to believe that probably some firewall rules are suboptimal and causing this problem.

But that is actually not my question. My question is, are there some general guidelines as to how to identify bottlenecks like this? Like I mentioned, I cannot seem to find anything. I would think (which, of course, might be wrong) that there are only a few resources that might become saturated; I can think of line speed/switch speed (essentially hardware throughput), CPU, or memory. (In my particular case, none of these seem to be the problem, which is a bit surprising to me. According to `/tool profile`, the CPU seems to be hovering around 40 %, so that should not be the problem.)

I'd be grateful for any pointers I might have missed!

THX & Cheers,
Toby.

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: How to identify throughput bottleneck

Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:06 pm

Without knowing your configuration, we would only be guessing.
To export and paste your configuration (and I'm assuming you are using WebFig or Winbox), open a terminal window, and type (without the quotes) "/export hide-sensitive file=any-filename-you-wish". Then open the files section and right click on the filename you created and select download in order to download the file to your computer. It will be a text file with whatever name you saved to with an extension of .rsc. Then in your message here, click the code display icon in the toolbar above the text entry (the code display icon is the 7th one from the left and looks like a square with a blob in the middle). Then paste the text from the file in between the two code words in brackets.

tdussa
Topic Author

Re: How to identify throughput bottleneck

Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:11 am

Hi,

thanks for your reply!
Without knowing your configuration, we would only be guessing.
Yes, I am aware that you cannot help me troubleshoot my specific problem without my specific config. I am, however, looking for more general information about identifying performance bottlenecks, not primarily for a solution to my immediate problem (I am fairly certain that I am encountering routing throughput limitations of the board itself).

I suppose I should have phrased a more concrete question yesterday, but I could not come up with quite the right wording at the time. Apologies for that. So the thing that immediately puts a question mark into my head was this: Suppose I hit the throughput threshold for routing with 25 firewall rules as published in the Test Results by MT on the product page (https://mikrotik.com/product/RB960PGS#fndtn-testresults). Then I would expect, say, the CPU to be at close to 100 % when the throughput limit is reached, because the CPU would be the bottleneck in that case, if I understand correctly. Is this expectation accurate? And if it is not, what other resources would be the bottleneck then?

Thanks & Cheers,
Toby.