Community discussions

MikroTik App

degiateir65
just joined
Topic Author

Open vpn issue after config export

Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:55 pm

Hi,

I was using 2 mikrotik router to make an IPsec tunnel + an openvpn for users out of our physical site, everything was working fine but we had to export the router configuration to spare routers, we also changed one of our local network from .1.0/24 to .8.0/24, we changed firewall and routes to get the IPsec working but we can't use the openvpn now, our public IP is still the same, if anyone got the same issue and know how to fix, please let me know !

I'm trying to understand if the openvpn issue comes from the local network change or from the hardware swap and export of the configuration.

Thank you

tdw
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Open vpn issue after config export

Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:54 pm

Did you reinstall the certificate used by the OVPN server?

Certificates will only be restored from a .backup file to the same Mikrotik. If you restore a .backup to a different Mikrotik (not officially recommended, usually OK to the same model), or from an .rsc export, you have to import the certificates separately. Import the certificate(s), plus the private keys for those used in server roles, from where they were created, e.g. on a PC with OpenSSL for self-signed, or from a CA.

If the certificate(s) were created on the previous Mikrotik you should have exported them separately with the /certificate export-certificate yourcertificatename export-passphrase=yourpassphrase command and kept them in a safe place with your backups. There can also be issues with Mikrotik-generated certificates containing CRLs when imported on another device.